XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Motor oil and brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Motor oil and brake pads

Hi, All,

I have looked on forums for answers to this question, but don't see a clear cut answer. I plan (as I always have) to do my own oil changes in my 12 XJ Supercharged 5.0. I have found the oil spec (WSS M2C925-A) but do not see any that meet it. I have seen discussions from the past that say that Mobil1 full syn meets it, but it is not listed on the bottle. I have seen discussions that say the spec has been replaced by WSS M2C945-A, but nowhere that quantifies that. Is everybody going back to the dealer for their oil purchases? Has anybody found another oil that meets the WSS M2C925-A spec?

Regarding pads, I hate the semi metallics that are on there now. Has anybody had any luck with Ceramic? Any options aside from EBC?

Thanks,

Old 02-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The following users liked this post:
reyesfam (06-06-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

I had a similar issue recently but I managed to find actual verification that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 meets the referenced WSS spec. I don't know how to post a link to another thread but if you search for:

"Finally managed to track down the right oil"

in the XF (X250) forum you'll find the information. The main problems I found were that all of the spec sheets people reference are either old (so I couldn't tell if the oil still met the spec), or from a country other than the US (so I couldn't tell if the oil has the same formulation as the oil sold in the US). There is also a claim that the 945 spec supersedes the 925 spec and is therefore sufficient but again I could never find anything to support this.

The dealer in Houston that used to service my car uses the Pennzoil UP in their service department so I went with that. I honestly suspect that I've overthought this and I'm sure using any modern extended protection oil of the correct grade would be fine. However I was glad that I could fine one that I could actually prove met the spec.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:28 PM

I know that they SUGGEST Castrol, but REQUIRE something that meets the spec. I cannot believe that nothing else does. I am just looking for something I can get easily, without having to drive all the way to the dealer, whose parts department is open nine till five. I agree that the bulk of the info that has been suggested in the past references links that are either dead or no longer valid. I will search out your previous thread. Thanks for both replies!

Old 02-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Oil meeting spec WSS M2C925-A

I have purchased oil to the spec WSS M2C925-A from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-22...+-+5+Liter+Jug

Old 02-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Castrol Edge meets the spec and yes, the 945 spec replaces the 925.

As for brake pads, what trim level is your XJ?J? What size wheels do you have? For base and Portfolios with the 19" wheels, ceramic pads are just fine, but Jaguar does not recommend a ceramic setup on the Supercharged/Supersport models with 20" setup that carries larger brakes.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by a6kmita
Castrol Edge meets the spec and yes, the 945 spec replaces the 925.
Do you have anything to support that? That's my gut feeling to, but it seems strange that Jaguar never updated anything in their manuals to reference the new spec which I believe has been in affect for some time. Also Pennzoil were still seeking Jaguar approval for the 925 spec in 2015 which seems odd given that it had been superseded.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Enosgl, I just did the rear pads on my car (base model) with the 19" wheels. I installed some CTEK ceramic pads. The initial drive had no noise and the braking seems to be on part with what it was before (haven't pushed the car for a really aggressive stop). the pad change was pretty easy. Don't let what others have said in other posts scare you away.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Enosgl
I know that they SUGGEST Castrol, but REQUIRE something that meets the spec.
The mention of Castrol is simply a marketing a agreement, not an inference that their products are in any way superior.

On the other hand, things go better with Coke.

Don't they?

Old 02-06-2017, 07:30 AM

Thanks, Thermo and Mikey,

Regarding the pads, I always ran Akebono Pro-Act ceramic. For some reason, they do not make them for the Supercharged models, nor do most of the other makers, for some reason. Rock Auto, Summit Racing, and most of the larger vendors list semi-mets, but no ceramics. There ARE a few listings on Amazon and Ebay for unknown brands, but I question the accuracy, since nobody else lists them. It is a very pretty Lunar Gray car, with Orona wheels, which in about 10 miles after a wash, look awful. That's why I was asking if anyone actually ran them, to verify fit and quality,

Same deal with oil. I am sure that it is not a "magic fluid" and just a way to get people back in the dealership. I am sure others out there are running other products with success, WITHOUT WSS-M2C-925 on the bottle, but as a CPO car with warranty until August 2018, wanted to play as closely to the rules as possible. The only thing I have seen with it so far is Liqui-Moly. The good news is that I have 10,000 more miles to go until I need the oil, so will keep watching.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 02-06-2017, 08:29 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Mobil 1 meets the spec

MOBIL 1 5W-20 | Mobil

Old 02-06-2017, 08:50 AM

In Brazil The US mobil 1 site makes no reference to the 925 spec, at least none that I can find.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:24 PM

That mobil 1 link is to the Brazilian website, though. On the US site:

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...ed-performance

it meets 945, not 925. The bottles on the store shelves make no reference to 925, either. That opens that question, again of if 945 superceeded 925, to which some say yes, and some say no. I have seen some mineral oils that meet 945, so am not convinced it truly did, unless JLR eased their requirements on lubes. I even called Mobil to ask how it can meet 925 spec in Brazil, but not in the US, and was told that it could have to do with Brazil having a different climate, or different emissions standards. I suppose that is plausible. It is also plausible that JLR doesn't feel as strong a need to protect oil/service revenues in Brazil than in North America.

Thats why I was asking what people actually DO use, since there is so little finite information out there. I can always go to the dealership an pay $11.00/quart if I have to. Funny, when using the forums for my X308 and X350, there was SO MUCH information, yet on the X351s, it seems so scarce.

Thanks again for the info.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:16 PM

Like you I've tried to track down an oil that meets the 925 spec and the only positive confirmation I've found is for the Castrol OE and the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. All the other potential candidates fall down when it comes to documented confirmation of meeting the spec.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Enosgl
TFunny, when using the forums for my X308 and X350, there was SO MUCH information, yet on the X351s, it seems so scarce.
I feel the same but we must be the trailblazers. Like you I searched for a long time but just went with the Liqui Moly - for the price I didn't feel it was worth going for other brands where compliance was unclear, see post #5. However I'd really like to know if 945 superceeded 925.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 AM

Hafren, I like the sound of "trailblazers" better than "Guinnea Pigs". As I said, the fact that so many oils (even mineral based) meet 945, I cannot see it as replacing it. 925 (I think) has always been full synthetic, which would make sense for a (up to) 550 HP supercharged motor to run 15,000 miles on. I never thought I should check to be sure I could get oil before buying a car, lol.