XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Playing Video From USB / Ripping CD to HD / Audio Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Playing Video From USB / Ripping CD to HD / Audio Bluetooth

Three questions:

1) I have been able to burn CD's on/off, however, when I tried to rip a CD with MP3's on it... I was unable to burn. Does the CD player ONLY rip WMA files on properly formatted discs? It's a 20gb HD I believe, I could fit 80% of my music on it if I burned it all to CD's.

2) There is an option for playing video from USB. Is there a specific format that you have to have the video files in on the USB? Do they need to be in sub-folders?

3) I have a brand new Droid 3. I can't get the thing to sync. It syncs for a second, then says, "fails to connect". I could never get it to work in my previous XJ either, so I'm unfamiliar with whether or not it streams ANY audio (IE Pandora), or if it only streams from the music player to the car?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

1) I have been able to burn CD's on/off, however, when I tried to rip a CD with MP3's on it... I was unable to burn. Does the CD player ONLY rip WMA files on properly formatted discs? It's a 20gb HD I believe, I could fit 80% of my music on it if I burned it all to CD's.
Only 10GB of the 30GB HDD is devoted to virtual CD storage. MP3s burned to a CD are ignored if you're trying to rip them to the HDD - only CDDA compatible discs can be ripped to the HDD, fully uncompressed (10 CDs max). It's easier to dump your MP3 collection to high-capacity USB flash drives and reserve the virtual CD storage for high-quality CDs.

2) There is an option for playing video from USB. Is there a specific format that you have to have the video files in on the USB? Do they need to be in sub-folders?
Videos don't have to be in sub folders, they do however need to conform to MPEG1, MPEG2 or MPEG4 standards. The latter can use the DivX/Xvid codec with file extension .asf, .avi, or .divx.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

OMG, they're formats galore , I am just alright with MP3s lol
They almost enable FTP files lol

Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I can not get videos to play on the front screen when insert in the USB slot in the chubby box.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 PM

I can not get videos to play on the front screen when insert in the USB slot in the chubby box
Video might not be in the correct format. Try using the AUDIO/VIDEO CONTROLS on the steering wheel -press the "MODE" button to scroll through all audio/video sources. If you see the message "No Playable Video on USB", chances are the video isn't in the proper format.

To be honest, viewing videos on the front screen is kind of a waste of time - only viewable if the car is stationary.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:20 PM

No it's the proper format because it works in the rear entertainment system. I just wanted to see if I could have all three screens watch the same thing on USB. You can with a DVD. And remember the real car has a dual view front screen so the front passenger can watch movies while the car is in motion.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:05 PM

No it's the proper format because it works in the rear entertainment system. I just wanted to see if I could have all three screens watch the same thing on USB. You can with a DVD. And remember the real car has a dual view front screen so the front passenger can watch movies while the car is in motion.
That's odd, DVDs play but USB video won't. Perhaps the rear entertainment set-up configures playable video options differently, though that hardly makes sense. The owner's handbook yields no clues as to why this is, but in typical fashion, the handbook is rather vague on any number of subjects. While it states that if anything other than Park is selected the front screen reverts to the video menu if a video is playing. Actually, the video continues to play (audio only), but the image returns when you come to a stop, still in Drive, foot on the brake - go figure
Yeah, I lament the fact we didn't get the dual-view screen

Old 07-23-2011, 01:15 AM

It really pains me because I am in Germany were it is legal. I fought back and forth with Jaguar UK about this and even mentioned that Mecerdes was introducing it in their S-classes in certain US States but no joy. I was basically told if I wanted it I would have to find a dealer willing to yank out my US system and put it in. Still looking.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That must be insanely frustrating. There is an aftermarket gizmo that gives you unfettered inputs.

NAVTOOL INC

Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 PM

That must be insanely frustrating. There is an aftermarket gizmo that gives you unfettered inputs.
Seems like the NavTool gizmo would do the trick . . . for those absolutely hellbent on watching videos on the front screen. To be honest, the video capability as it is, remains more of a novelty. I'm happy to at least have the option, but the crappy resolution and awkward viewing angle does not warrant spending any length of time watching videos whether parked or on the move. Aside from monkeying around with various formats to see if the system worked, I've actually only watched a partial video (while forced to wait for someone) - an episode of Top Gear (the segment in which Jeremy vs. God in a Jaguar XJL Supersport - Jezza beats God).

Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM

I am a Top Gear UK addict. I have every episode. I wondered why they didnt give it to Stig to test on the track. That would have been interesting to see.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo
Seems like the NavTool gizmo would do the trick . . . for those absolutely hellbent on watching videos on the front screen. To be honest, the video capability as it is, remains more of a novelty. I'm happy to at least have the option, but the crappy resolution and awkward viewing angle does not warrant spending any length of time watching videos whether parked or on the move. Aside from monkeying around with various formats to see if the system worked, I've actually only watched a partial video (while forced to wait for someone) - an episode of Top Gear (the segment in which Jeremy vs. God in a Jaguar XJL Supersport - Jezza beats God).
Wasn't that the hilarious episode where he chased the rising sun across the UK and beat it?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:13 PM

I loved it. They don't like the looks of it though and thought the Beretoni concept looked better and while I thought it was cool I thought it looked too much like older Jags and I am sure that is what they were trying to get away from.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Hey guys, I found an easy way to get a movie, either from a DVD or another format, converted to an AVI file that will play via a USB. It took me many hours to find the right conversion program and settings that the car would actually play. Best of all, its free.

Now, if you rip from a DVD, you'll first need to make sure you have a program that 'unlocks' the protection. I use AnyDVD, and once you purchase it, updates are free for life. In the 4 years since I've owned it, it's never failed to unlock a DVD.

Whether from a DVD, or another video file in an mp4, mkv...whatever, you can add it in the DIVX Converter program and in my case, no additional plugins or addons to purchase. It works in the base, free program.

Choose the Home Theatre preset, and modify only the audio output (and turn off subtitles, if they are available). The audio should not be passed through, and it should say MP3, and 192 kbps bit rate. I'm pretty sure the middle box is checked, no others. I can't confirm right now, as its in the middle of batch converting 51 of my files.

After the conversion is complete, the file name will end with a .divx extension. Simply change it to .avi in your windows explorer, copy it to your USB, and its done! File sizes range from 1.1 to 1.5 GB per file, so you need a large USB to hold too many at one time.

I hope this helps some of you who struggled as I did the first time I tried to get this to work.

The following 3 users liked this post by H20boy:
Jont (04-22-2017), lcmjaguar (05-27-2015), Storm3163 (06-28-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I got the video-in-motion interface installed and working. See my thread here -> https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post1260047

Old 07-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Matt-
Again, nice job in "closing the loop". I assume this is more of a hobby challenge, than a practical need, or am I missing something? Being a prehistoric "old fart", I don't understand why.
John

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (07-05-2015)
Old 05-08-2018, 02:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, folks,
I'm sorry for necroposting, but is there any way to make subtitles work on old multimedia? (XJ 2013).
Btw, i'm using AC3 5.1 audio codec in movies, works and sounds perfect.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I'll answer,
There is util, named AVIAddXSub, that makes XSUB in avi/divx movie. Default DivX Converter makes same, but in jaguar subtitles, made with this method, they doesn't work.
So this is my solution - use the AVIAddXSub util.