XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Problem with Driver's Side Seat Massage

Old 07-24-2014, 06:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problem with Driver's Side Seat Massage

I have a 2011 XJ. The massage seats have worked fine as long as I have owned the car. Now the "start" icon for the driver's side is dark and the seat will not work. The icon for the passenger's side is lit. Not sure it is relevant but the heating and cooling functions work fine for both seats.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Ralph,

I do have a similar problem as you and i am in a 2012 XJL Portfolio 5.0.

My driver's side massage seats turn on and maybe after approx 15 - 20 seconds, it stops by itself.

Any attempts to turn it back on wont work as the button is grayed out, like your problem.

However, when i restart the car, the massage works again. This has happened many times but time and again, a simple restart and the massage seats work again.

Suspect maybe some faulty components within the system?

Does yours fail to turn on even after a restart?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the response! Yes, I think our problems are identical or close to it. After parking the car overnight, the massage feature did work the next morning. Fortunately the car is still under warranty so I'll let the dealer hassle with it next time it is in for service.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Please post back what the fix was if you can. We only learn from other peoples problems and with two of you having the same problem it will come up again.

Hopefully it has a fix.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ralph12345
Thanks for the response! Yes, I think our problems are identical or close to it. After parking the car overnight, the massage feature did work the next morning. Fortunately the car is still under warranty so I'll let the dealer hassle with it next time it is in for service.
Dear Ralph,

Yes it seems our problems are identical. Infact, all it takes is a 20-30minutes stop and lock your car and come back for the massage system to function again. I suspect the system resets itself once the car goes into "Sleep Mode" and the electronics FULLY shut down.

However, this problem has occurred nearly 10 times now and the massage system still works.

Now i can say if i turn it on, this wont happen maybe 50% of the time.

Unfortunately, im in Malaysia and the Jaguar dealership here wont entertain cars that are not purchased from them. My car was imported unofficially from the UK.

Instead of spending money at an unauthorized place, ive decided to live with the massage system not really working.

Do let me know though how this works out for you.. Best of luck mate!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the update. I think we have "bonded" as perhaps the only two on the Forum with this problem. Unless some other problem develops, I likely won't take the XJ in for the repair until September...its annual inspection time...but I'll tell you more then.

Bummer re your local dealer. A long time ago things were like that in the states but then the dealers realized that they could make a decent profit by being kind to folks who got their cars elsewhere. Moreover, friendly service now brought future sales!

Old 10-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Default Follow-UP

Since writing my initial message complaining about the driver's seat message not working, the problem has not reappeared. The car was in for routine service today and I asked the adviser if she had heard similar complaints. She had not. I am off to a long trip next week and will post of it reoccurs then.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph12345
Since writing my initial message complaining about the driver's seat message not working, the problem has not reappeared. The car was in for routine service today and I asked the adviser if she had heard similar complaints. She had not. I am off to a long trip next week and will post of it reoccurs then.
I, too, had a 2012 XJL and encountered a similar, if not exact, problem with the driver's side seat massager. About 90% of the time it worked absolutely fine; however, over the past few months it would occasionally malfunction. When I would press the button to turn the massager on, I could hear the motor(s) humming, but the lumbar rollers weren't really moving. IOW, I heard noise, but no massaging took place. However, by the next day, or sometimes even later on the same trip, it would start working properly again.

I took the car in for service a couple of weeks ago with the full expectation that they wouldn't be able to find anything, or even believe what I was describing since it was just an intermittent issue. Fortunately, it malfunctioned just as I was pulling into the service bay, so at least the service advisor was able to sit in the seat and personally experience what I was describing. Once it got to the mechanic himself however, he was never able to replicate the failure for as long as the car was there. Nevertheless, they decided to reset the computer module (?) to see if that solved the problem.

In the two weeks since that was done, I have not had a reoccurrence of the issue; however, I won't be able to provide any long-term "study" of the issue to see if the problem was absolutely corrected because I just traded the car in last night for a 2014 XJL. Ironically, the 2014 doesn't even have a seat massager, so I'll have to live without being massaged while driving anyway.

The following users liked this post:
Ralph12345 (10-02-2014)