XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Remote Starter?

Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Starter?

I have a 2013 XJ, and I'd like to have a remote starter installed in it.
I'm getting all kinds of different stories as to if it can be done or not. One place said they could do it but I'd have to sacrifice one of my keyfobs so that they could take it apart and use the guts as part of the starter kits.
yikes!

Anyone have any advice or experience?
Thanks!

Old 10-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

The question has been asked before and due to the keyless system that is used a key must be in the car to start it. If you have someone rig a system it will negate the ability of the car to since that the key is inside the car and you might then lock your key inside the car and that would present a huge problem in opening it up.

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (08-27-2021)
Old 10-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Just get a new XJL and I have been surprise to not have that feature as standard equipment. I'm use to have it for years with my cadillac. Living in the freezer up north in Canada, it's a must.

Regarding the obligation to have a key in the car, I have my doubts. My SRX was equiped with key less entry and the remote was working fine. I'll try to go a shop who offer that equipment tomorow to see what they think about the XJ..

In the after market, they usualy use a 2nd remote control to activate the starter. Has far as I know, I think we have to lock the dorr 1st and then press the start button...
I'll keep you inform.
Guy

Ken Dreger (08-27-2021)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Jag technology

Originally Posted by Quebecjag
Just get a new XJL and I have been surprise to not have that feature as standard equipment. I'm use to have it for years with my cadillac. Living in the freezer up north in Canada, it's a must.

Regarding the obligation to have a key in the car, I have my doubts. My SRX was equiped with key less entry and the remote was working fine. I'll try to go a shop who offer that equipment tomorow to see what they think about the XJ..

In the after market, they usualy use a 2nd remote control to activate the starter. Has far as I know, I think we have to lock the dorr 1st and then press the start button...
I'll keep you inform.
Guy

If Jaguar's technologies were either the only or a primary reason for purchasing one of its vehicles, I'm afraid nary a one would be sold.

A comparison of available technology options between Jaguar and almost any other manufacturer would find them way down on the list. It appears that after the divorce, Ford kept the keys to the technology vault and sent the jilted bride, Jaguar, packing with not much more than "smart key" and "GPS".

It's a bit like BMW and Mercedes and their refusal to put cup holders and auto-off headlights into their cars, because cars were made for driving, not entertainment.

Anyhow, I presume that the 21st century will catch up with Jaguar one of these days. Until then, I guess we'll all need to swallow hard, and just enjoy the Jaguar experience.

Luck
King Fala

Ken Dreger (08-27-2021)
Old 11-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Just comeback from my remote starter intaller. Effectively, there is NO WAY to install a remote starter on our JAG. Jaguar doesn't provide the electrical plan to bypass the keyfob control... ;-((

He tells me that if he could find the electrical plan, he would have to destroy one of the 2 keys....

It's another weird think with JAG. That should be standard equipement on that car!!
Guy

Ken Dreger (08-27-2021)
Old 11-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several places will do it for $1,000.00 PLUS sacrificing one of your keys (another $300.00).

One place is in Chicago, which is about 2 hours from me. I'm trying to decide how badly I want to have a remote starter in it.....

I don't know if waiting a year will allow other companies to "catch up" and have a less expensive option available or not.
I'm guessing not because there is nothing for Jags after like 2008 available now from the "big guys" in the business...

Ken Dreger (08-27-2021)
Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Quebecjag
Just comeback from my remote starter intaller. Effectively, there is NO WAY to install a remote starter on our JAG. Jaguar doesn't provide the electrical plan to bypass the keyfob control... ;-((

He tells me that if he could find the electrical plan, he would have to destroy one of the 2 keys....

It's another weird think with JAG. That should be standard equipement on that car!!
Guy
All of the electrical diagrams are available on TOPIX but they aren't free. A subscription is required.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too!

I just bought a 13 Jaguar XJL Portfolio after driving Cadillacs for the last ten years! I'm in Boston and have loved the remote start, too! What did you end up doing? TIA

Old 08-26-2019, 10:18 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

That last post was almost 5 years ago, not sure if they are still active on the forums, but i can tell you that the remote start situation hasnt changed much. When I got mine installed 2 years ago, there was still no plug-n-play kit and my installer had to basically wire everything manually. It works flawlessly, both from the remote or the app on my phone, but it was a little expensive and there are a few weird quirks to deal with. Heres a link to my thread with my experience.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...talled-194778/

Short answer, its not impossible, its doable, but it takes a while and isnt cheap.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hank Scorpio:
dmchao (10-23-2019), Ken Dreger (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick comment on this topic: As of MY2016 the XJs have the In-Control infotainment system which support In Control remote from your cell phone. You can remote start the vehicle and set the interior temperature through this app on your phone. From what I know this only became available on 2016s.

Ken Dreger (08-27-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What’s the name of the place in Chicago?

[QUOTE=buzzojoe;1094031]Several places will do it for $1,000.00 PLUS sacrificing one of your keys (another $300.00).

One place is in Chicago, which is about 2 hours from me. I'm trying to decide how badly I want to have a remote starter in it.....

I don't know if waiting a year will allow other companies to "catch up" and have a less expensive option available or not.
I'm guessing not because there is nothing for Jags after like 2008 available now from the "big guys" in the business...[/QUOTE

what are the names of the places that said they could do it? I’m willing to drive to get a starter put on my XJ