XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Seat protector

Old 09-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts
Default Seat protector

I have noticed that my driver's seat is starting to show a little wear on the seam at waist height, only on the side nearest the door. I am thinking this is due to the belt I always wear and it rubbing the seat as I get in and out of the vehicle. My question comes as to what to do about it. I know the obvious answer of putting a seat cover on the seat, but I am not a big fan of that idea as I figure I am only going to push the seat cover into the factory leather and still end up with a wear spot. I have also seen the seat pads that you can put on the seat with the short back portion to protect the seat too. But, again, I see this as resulting in wear also and the thought of the look doesn't sit well with me.

What I guess I have envisioned in my head is something like say the clear bra that they put on the front of vehicles. This would leave the factory seat look and provide a shield to the leather seat. I realize this is not the cure all and would need to be replace periodically. But I figure it would be more effective than the seat cover/pad. The only negative I can see at the moment is potential glue residue. But, this I figure is removable with some isopropyl alcohol (IPA) followed up with a good leather conditioning to restore any moisture that may have been pulled out of the leather due to the IPA.

Any other ideas? I'm interested in hearing them. I know I ended up wearing a hole into the X-Type's seat in the same location. Looking to prevent that from happening.

The following users liked this post:
LiquidIce (10-13-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Ahhh get a different belt???

Old 09-25-2016, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

NvmyJag, unfortunately, the belt that I have to wear for work has to meet strict requirements (must be electrically safe and not contain any metal). Besides, I think it would happen with any belt as I had the same issue with my X-Type when I was not mandated to wear the special belt. I think it is just how I get in/out of the car and how I may sit in the vehicle (a little off center in the seat).

Old 09-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Thermo,
You didn't describe the wear, but if the leather isn't torn and the color has worn off a bit it's an easy, DIY fix. I had that happen to the side bolster of the driver's seat in my XKR with Ivory leather. I found a company in England that specialized in leather dye for Jaguars and ordered a small bottle. Simply clean the area and dab on the dye with the enclosed sponge and let it dry. A perfect match, and I can't tell it was ever redyed. I'll see if I can find that vendor and update this post.

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
lcmjaguar (09-25-2016), XJsss (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

In addition to Stuart's comments about re-dying, I would suggest regular use of Connolly Leather Cleaner and Connolly Hide Care Leather Conditioner (more commonly referred to as Hide Food), because keeping the leather soft and supple will help resist damage. I had a few issues with leather upholstery of previous Lincolns and on my first Jaguar. I became aware of the Connolly leather care products during the years I owned a Rolls-Royce and used it faithfully with excellent results. I've been using it on my XJL ever since I bought it and it's a product I highly recommend.

Dwayne

Old 09-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Veteran member

Stuart, if you look at the seat where your back/waist touches the seat, at the edge, there is a seam where the leather that wraps around the side and the leather that is across your whole back meet (vertical seam). About 6" from the bottom of the seat (about where the top of your pants would be, there is about a 4" long section where the leather is worn and the outer die color has started to come off. With more time, this wearing is going to result in the leather getting a hole in it. I guess I will need to take a picture of it to get the picture across 100%. The rest of the seat looks great. It is just that small strip that I am trying to prevent being the downfall of the whole seat. Granted, could always let the hole happen so I can get my custom interior. He he he he he he.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:06 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Stuart, if you look at the seat where your back/waist touches the seat, at the edge, there is a seam where the leather that wraps around the side and the leather that is across your whole back meet (vertical seam). About 6" from the bottom of the seat (about where the top of your pants would be, there is about a 4" long section where the leather is worn and the outer die color has started to come off. With more time, this wearing is going to result in the leather getting a hole in it. I guess I will need to take a picture of it to get the picture across 100%. The rest of the seat looks great. It is just that small strip that I am trying to prevent being the downfall of the whole seat. Granted, could always let the hole happen so I can get my custom interior. He he he he he he.
Chris, I have had to cover this very thing with numerous owners over the last several years. This is a common thing with seats that have nice comfortable side bolsters. You don't usually have to protect the seat, you need to modify the way you GET INTO the seat. [A lot of X350 owners have a similar issue with the black felt trim that rings the body opening for the door] Train yourself to sit your butt in the seat with your legs outside the vehicle, then spin your legs into the car.

By sliding yourself into the car [the way normal people do, :-)] the result is heavy wear to the bolster, and the door seal in some cases.
I know it sounds awkward, but when you get yourself trained, it's not really a big deal.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
LiquidIce (10-13-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

xjrguy, i will have to give that a try. I know I have been messing up the front edge of the seat (the plastic portion) with my boots because I was trying not to kick the door panel (and mess that up). Guess you can't be a blue color guy in a white collar car.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Following up on my post #4, the leather dye that I used and recommend is Dynamix from the UK. See: JAGUAR CAR LEATHER DYE MINI 30ml

It is water based and easy to use and clean up. Read more about it on their website.

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
LiquidIce (10-13-2016), XJsss (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks a lot, Stuart, I have ordered the Black dye from the website...will apply it when it arrives and hopefully will fix the problem.

@Chris, after I saw your post I went and checked my car, and noticed that I have a similar issue...have attached a pic, so let me know if this is what you are facing as well. Thank to you, I am now OCD and look at that seat each time I enter my car, lol!

And thanks xjrguy...I am heeding your advice and entering my car butt-first!

Attached Thumbnails Seat protector-jag_driverseat_pic_v1.jpg  
Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Liquid, yes, that is the same sort of wear I am getting on my seat. still contemplating some sort of "plastic protector" to go on there, just not sure what to use so I don't destroy the seat.