XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

speaker system

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default speaker system

I just purchased an Xj Luxury 2011

I noticed the bass wasn't very good especially for a luxury car.

However as I inspected the rear boot I noticed there was 2 speakers missing from the rear parcel shelf, so I'm guessing this is why the rear sound is terrible.

Should there be 2 speakers there as standard?

any help would be great

thanks

Old 08-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

I note from your public profile that you're in Great Britain and that you're a newbie. It would be helpful if you would go to your User Control Panel and, under Your Profile, edit your details and scroll down to Additional Information to the Location box and enter where you live. You can be as vague as you like, but your country is helpful since this is an international forum.

Sorry to learn about your issue, but I know nothing about the laws in Great Britain pertaining to buying a used car. In the USA, where a used car is sold by a dealer, depending on state law, a buyer may a right to cancel that purchase within a short time, usually 2 or 3 days. Hopefully, you will have some recourse against the seller because it appears that your car is missing the speakers in the rear parcel shelf.

Note that there are 2 sound systems, standard and premium. Nevertheless, it appears that both use the same rear shelf speakers.

See this link for a US dealer's website for the 2011 XJ: https://www.jaguarmerriamparts.com/parts/2011/Jaguar/XJ/Base?siteid=215718&vehicleid=313422§ion=&group=&su bgroup=&component=&searchText=speaker&startRow=21& maxRow=10. According to this website, you are missing item #10, right and left, which have identical part numbers - C2D2077. They should be available from your local Jaguar dealer.

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
NateLWB XJ (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 03:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very useful thanks again! that website is a blessing and a curse, LoL just checking prices for parts... like transmission $15K, body shell $19K, supercharger $4K.. I guess this is the cost to being a BOSS! LoL

Old 08-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Did you expect XJ parts to cost the same as parts for a Camry? Be glad you don't own a Porsche!

Old 08-22-2016, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Stuart

I rang Jaguar and they are going to fit the missing speakers for free

so far my Jaguar experience has been excellent

Old 08-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by NateLWB XJ
Very useful thanks again! that website is a blessing and a curse, LoL just checking prices for parts... like transmission $15K, body shell $19K, supercharger $4K.. I guess this is the cost to being a BOSS! LoL
For my US cousins - you may find it considerably cheaper to buy from a UK parts dealer and have them shipped across the Atlantic. Assuming a 7-10 day service and a typical 8% import duty you would still be making a saving. Non-EU exported parts will be ex. VAT so that $19k bodyshell would be $12.5k with import taxes (obs. shipping a body will be fairly expensive, but not $6.5k!). A gearbox for the SC engine would be $9.2k ex shipping and can come on a quarter pallet which will be less than $400 even on a priority service.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:12 PM

I went to jaguar today, they told me there shouldn't be speakers in the rear parcel shelf as it's a basic model...
Is this correct? And the cable which was hanging down was for the tracker which can be enabled again

Thanks

Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

The basic sound system did not use speakers on the parcel shelf.

If you follow the instructions in the post linked below you will be able to see which system was fitted to your car from the factory:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...4/#post1521160

Old 08-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xdave
The basic sound system did not use speakers on the parcel shelf. ...
That's really cheaping out. Shame on you, Jaguar.

I don't know if that's true for North American market XJs. Does anyone know for sure? I'd be surprised if it was, since doing so would be counterproductive to Jaguar's desired luxury car image.

Just like in your house, your kids get away with everything. But they won't even dare to try it at your neighbor's house across the street - uh - pond.

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-23-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

I am unsure what the minimum spec was/is for the US. In the UK the basic sound system used only the door speakers (2 in each rear, three in the fronts). Premium upwards added the sub woofers.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:39 AM

Again thanks for the help guys
It's a real shame the standard sound is really terrible for such a great car.

Is it easy to add those subwoofer speakers? Would the cables be already in the rear?
Also is it fibre optic cable in the jags?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member

They have an amp which drives all the speakers, with MOST providing the input to the amp from the other systems in the car like the radio tuner. There are different parts for the telematics harness for the 400W, 600W and 1200W systems, which suggests that the wiring is different. So at a minimum to upgrade to the OEM system you would need:

- new telematics harness
- new speakers (the door speakers are also different)
- new amplifier module
- new instrument panel harness if you add thre centre front speaker as well

The amp is regularly found used from cars being broken after accidents, but the other bits are rare as they are fiddly to remove with low used values and would likely need to be purchased new. You would be looking at around £3k less labour.

You could likely get a decent aftermarket install for less money that that. I am not a sound guy but some replacement door speakers, some good ones on the parcel shelf, and a sub in the boot should make a big difference.

The following users liked this post:
dragonalfa (09-03-2016)
Old 02-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
They have an amp which drives all the speakers, with MOST providing the input to the amp from the other systems in the car like the radio tuner. There are different parts for the telematics harness for the 400W, 600W and 1200W systems, which suggests that the wiring is different. So at a minimum to upgrade to the OEM system you would need:

- new telematics harness
- new speakers (the door speakers are also different)
- new amplifier module
- new instrument panel harness if you add thre centre front speaker as well

The amp is regularly found used from cars being broken after accidents, but the other bits are rare as they are fiddly to remove with low used values and would likely need to be purchased new. You would be looking at around £3k less labour.

You could likely get a decent aftermarket install for less money that that. I am not a sound guy but some replacement door speakers, some good ones on the parcel shelf, and a sub in the boot should make a big difference.
I have the standard system in my 2011 XJ, it's an early VIN <14410. Do you know how difficult it would be to retrofit an aftermarket amp to replace the factory one? Is there a wiring diagram somewhere that I could reference, that you know of?

Thanks! I appreciate all of your input.