XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Spy Shots: Another Look at the XJ's Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Spy Shots: Another Look at the XJ's Facelift

The Jaguar XJ was introduced in 2009 and the company is continuing to prep its minor facelift of the flagship sedan. Caught undergoing high-speed-testing around the famous Nordschleife, the prototype has been equipped with modified bumpers, a revised grille, and full LED beams, along with new light graphics on the front and rear lights. There doesn't appear to be any other changes, but we wouldn't be surprised if the production model had some additional tweaks. Most engine options will likely carryover and extend to a Plug-In hybrid version, as previewed by the Jaguar XJ E concept in 2012.

Expect the updated XJ to be introduced at the Paris Motor Show later this year. In the meantime, leave a reply to us know what you think of this upcoming facelift!

Attached Thumbnails Spy Shots: Another Look at the XJ's Facelift-01.jpg   Spy Shots: Another Look at the XJ's Facelift-02.jpg   Spy Shots: Another Look at the XJ's Facelift-03.jpg   Spy Shots: Another Look at the XJ's Facelift-04.jpg   Spy Shots: Another Look at the XJ's Facelift-05.jpg  

Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Wondering if the lower two pictures are 4 wheel drive models? They sit too high for my visual preferences. Edit; on closer look they seem to be leaning away from the camera while cornering. I have to say that if the XJL will not have the NA V8 option, I will be looking at a different vehicle for my next purchase.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

From the photos, the changes look rather insignificant. I agree the 5.0 L N/A engine is what makes the XJ, and represents the apex of this car's development. A smaller V-6 or inline 4 cylinder, even boosted (as in my '87 T-Bird 2.3 L Turbo Coupe), just doesn't cut it.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
From the photos, the changes look rather insignificant. I agree the 5.0 L N/A engine is what makes the XJ, and represents the apex of this car's development. A smaller V-6 or inline 4 cylinder, even boosted (as in my '87 T-Bird 2.3 L Turbo Coupe), just doesn't cut it.

I agree!

And as a side note, even though there's no real place in the States to go all that fast, it still kind of annoys me that my XJ-L has a speed limiter in it. I don't know if it's true, but I thought I heard somewhere that the speed is limited, due to the "H" rated tires that the car is equipped with. An $80,000 car, and they can't put "Z" rated tires on it.....even if it's made an option?? For goodness sake, my lowly 1996 Z/28 Camaro offered the "Z" rated tires, and removal of the electronic governor, as an option (which of course, I went for!!).....

The following users liked this post:
johndahlheimer (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree!

And as a side note, even though there's no real place in the States to go all that fast, it still kind of annoys me that my XJ-L has a speed limiter in it. I don't know if it's true, but I thought I heard somewhere that the speed is limited, due to the "H" rated tires that the car is equipped with. An $80,000 car, and they can't put "Z" rated tires on it.....even if it's made an option?? For goodness sake, my lowly 1996 Z/28 Camaro offered the "Z" rated tires, and removal of the electronic governor, as an option (which of course, I went for!!).....
And I agree with you!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree!

I agree! I had owned an American made car before that had a foreign-made high performance engine but, was limited to 112 MPH top speed due to H rated factory tires (max speed 130MPH). At that time I railed against the silliness of that decision; give the car a lot of performance potential then kill it off with cheap tires.

With the XJL it is even more so. The only thing that "may be" the reason behind Jaguars selection of the H rated Pirelli Zero Nero tires is that H rating tend to come with more flexible sidewalls, potentially giving a better ride than ultra performance tires where the sidewalls are much stiffer. I have had them both on my XJL and can't tell much of a difference in the ride.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:23 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I guess that is another difference between the supercharged and NA engine models. My car originally came with Y-rated Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tires

Last edited by another_geek; 07-31-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
I agree! I had owned an American made car before that had a foreign-made high performance engine but, was limited to 112 MPH top speed due to H rated factory tires (max speed 130MPH). At that time I railed against the silliness of that decision; give the car a lot of performance potential then kill it off with cheap tires.

With the XJL it is even more so. The only thing that "may be" the reason behind Jaguars selection of the H rated Pirelli Zero Nero tires is that H rating tend to come with more flexible sidewalls, potentially giving a better ride than ultra performance tires where the sidewalls are much stiffer. I have had them both on my XJL and can't tell much of a difference in the ride.

Good point, although if that was truly the reason, I would think the engineers could have softened the springs a little to compensate.