XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Sunroof Shade

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink Sunroof Shade

Hi,
here and there I heard of people mentioning about little gaps in the sun roof shade due it not completely closing. Some posted info about clips, fixes by dealers and so on.

Well, in my case I noticed the last few days a small gap and wondered if it was always there or not. ( I have it open most of the time). So I opened the shade. Closed it. Still a gap. (I am talking front roof shade here).

So I closed it but stuck my hand in as an obstacle to trigger a reverse. The shade reversed, went through a very brief adjustment cycle and ....viola. It closes all the way perfectly, opens perfectly and all is good.

FYI, NO ROOF problems whatsoever after the initial TSB pop noise fixes. The fixes lasted in my case (over 6 months now) thanks to great techs at Elmhurst Jaguar.

The following 4 users liked this post by gears:
Brutal (06-23-2011), kid delicious (06-23-2011), reyesfam (06-03-2017), Thin Crust (06-26-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Fyi I had this happen to me after my battery died. There is a resync procedure documented in the manual that consists of holding down the shade button (I think, I'd have to look it up again) For a full minute then the shade opens and closes to adjust itself.

The same applies to resyncing the sunroof if you disconnect the battery.

The following 2 users liked this post by another_geek:
reyesfam (06-03-2017), Thin Crust (06-26-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I will check that out when I get my car back today from the tinting place.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
Fyi I had this happen to me after my battery died. There is a resync procedure documented in the manual that consists of holding down the shade button (I think, I'd have to look it up again) For a full minute then the shade opens and closes to adjust itself.

The same applies to resyncing the sunroof if you disconnect the battery.
Hi,
thanks for clarifying that another_geek. You put it into the right words. All of my newer cars have the re-synch thing for windows and sunroofs. I just never thought of the sunshade. (As I never had a motorized sunshade before).

Old 06-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Motorized sunshade ? .... What a cool item , I would like to have it

Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default added thought

I actually don't like the implementation of the sun shade. On my S-Type with a manual shade, I could raise the back of the sun roof open and close the shade to about an inch or so on hot days to allow the car to vent.

The new ones will not allow you to close with the glass open.

The following users liked this post:
soberguy (05-11-2023)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by earl08
I actually don't like the implementation of the sun shade. On my S-Type with a manual shade, I could raise the back of the sun roof open and close the shade to about an inch or so on hot days to allow the car to vent.

The new ones will not allow you to close with the glass open.
Yeah, I noticed that limitation, too. Guess its a trade off. But it doesn't bother me, since I never tilt up anyways. I guess that goes under "can't have it both ways". Eventhough, I believe whoever is making the sunroof assembly (Webasto Germany?) is already working on the next thing which may address your concern about that limitation.
You still can vent, but of course then it makes not much sense while the sun is going right in.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Well I tried to reset the sun shade with the hand thing and almost got my hand caught in there. Both the front and the rear just kept on going oblivious that my hand was trying to hold it open.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Well I tried to reset the sun shade with the hand thing and almost got my hand caught in there. Both the front and the rear just kept on going oblivious that my hand was trying to hold it open.
Oohps! I know it pushed very hard, but then reversed. Don't try again. I wasn't comfortable as I was afraid something may brake. There must be a re-sync procedure. I just haven't found it yet. I haven't looked for it yet either. May be I just got lucky.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:09 PM

I am going to try the following.

New XJ (X351) Roof Control Module and Motor set-up Procedure
Issue:
The opening and closing function of the sliding glass panel and roller-blinds are controlled by the roof module which is integral with the sliding glass panel motor. The module receives a permanent battery power supply from the RJB (rear junction box).

To open or close the sliding glass panel and blinds the module receives hardwired 'open/close' inputs from the switches located in the front and rear overhead console panels.
The control module has a non-volatile memory, if battery power to the module is lost the sliding roof panel and blind positions are retained and the one-touch feature does not require re-initializing. However due to the software condition if the battery power to the control module is interrupted when the ignition is switched on, the one-touch feature must be re-initialized.

Action:
Once the power supply is restored reset the roof mechanism as follows:
· Switch the ignition on and start the vehicle, making sure the vehicle voltage is (13 – 15.5Volts) & ambient temperature is 5 – 40 deg C (41 – 104 deg F) i.e. inside workshop allowing the vehicle to cool down if the vehicle as been in the sun
· Requirements upon initialization
· Fully close the roof.
· Press the front of the roof switch, and hold for 45 seconds.
· After 45 seconds the roof will begin to move. Keep the front of the switch pressed until the roof and the roof blinds have fully opened, then closed.
· Once the open/close cycle has completed and the roof has stopped moving, release the switch.
· The roof can now be operated as normal.If it's not functioning correctly please raise TR or an EPQR.

Last edited by ExpatJag; 06-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tommyd (09-10-2012)
Old 06-22-2011, 03:21 PM

That worked.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Well, darn. You beat me to the punch. Well. we are 7 hours behind after all I just looked it up. Manual page 149. And I just did that and it worked. And I should follow my own most common advise which is: Check the manual first. Duuuhhhh....

Old 06-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the hand thing, and it crushed my fingers. The sunroof did not reverse, however it did work when I opened and closed it next. So, thanks Gears...no pain no gain. And what does "press the front of the roof switch" mean? Does that mean "hold down the front sunroof button?". And doesn't that open the sunroof shade when you do that, regardless of how long you hold that button down..not 45 seconds later? Maybe it moves AGAIN 45 seconds later, no? I.e. When you press the front sunroof button, the shade opens, and 45 seconds later, after holding it down the whole time, it goes through the reset procedure. Or does the roof really not open when you press and hold the sunroof button? Instructions sound confusing to me.

Last edited by kid delicious; 06-23-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

It means you need to hold down the portion of the sunroof button closest to the windshield - normally used to close the sunroof. Hold it constantly for 45 seconds (when it seems like it isn't working, just keep holding the button. :-) just have to be patient). After 45 seconds, the sunroof and sun shade will start moving - DON'T release the button - just keep holding the button down.

The sunroof and the shade will start opening and closing. Only when everything stops moving should you release the button.

That's it. Not too hard but I think most people underestimate how long 45 seconds really is and let go of the button too soon.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Gears, just wanted to say thanks, because your way is much faster and works everytime. Unlike Jags with the switches, it doesnt always work and several techs have broken the drives using that proceedure which sets a high force limit when closed as it keeps driving it closed to set limits. I did find that it works better if you stop it mid travel instead of almost closed cause it will try to bite you harder and not stop

Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by kid delicious
I did the hand thing, and it crushed my fingers. The sunroof did not reverse, however it did work when I opened and closed it next. So, thanks Gears...no pain no gain. And what does "press the front of the roof switch" mean? Does that mean "hold down the front sunroof button?". And doesn't that open the sunroof shade when you do that, regardless of how long you hold that button down..not 45 seconds later? Maybe it moves AGAIN 45 seconds later, no? I.e. When you press the front sunroof button, the shade opens, and 45 seconds later, after holding it down the whole time, it goes through the reset procedure. Or does the roof really not open when you press and hold the sunroof button? Instructions sound confusing to me.
Like Another_Geek said close the roof and sunroof shades and then hold the sunroof button forward like you are trying to close it for 45 seconds and then it will cycle through the procedure. Keep it held until it stops.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

At least I wasn't the only one who hurt his fingers !!

I will have another go tomorrow to reset the blinds as they both seem to need to move about another half inch to be fully closed.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by kid delicious
Haha, sorry for the fingers. I should have clarified and written that I stuck my fist in between shade and frame. And yes, it pushed so hard, I thought something is going to brake. It didn't and it worked. But this is not for the faint of heart. And I am not sure if that is the best procedure.
After I checked the procedure on page 149 and tried it, it also worked. But it takes longer.
Most common mistakes with that and clarification:
1. The button referenced is the the ROOF Button. NOT SHADE button.
2. You MUST make sure the roof and ALL SHADES are FULLY closed before the procedure
3. As somebody stated, 45 seconds are long (when your arm gets tired holding the button). So make sure to TIME it or wait long enough.
4. You must PUSH and HOLD the FRONT of the SUNROOF button (NOT shade button)
5. Do NOT release button when the cycle starts. KEEP HOLDING until the cycle is finished.

And if all that won't work, do it my way. Since Brutal as a tech certified liked confirmed my rather raw procedure to work, do it my way. Stick you hand in or if you are afraid about your hand getting deformed, use a large square CLEAN object. Piece of wood, 2x4 ect.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by roviw
At least I wasn't the only one who hurt his fingers !!

I will have another go tomorrow to reset the blinds as they both seem to need to move about another half inch to be fully closed.
Haha, OK I am the idiot sticking his hands in you are all followed. I am sorry, but it is funny. Guess that is why my procedure is not "Certified".
Anyways, use a CLEAN square piece of wood 2x4 or any other suitable object and hold it between frame and roof shade instead of your hand. Make sure it provides a minimum of about 2 to 4 inches obstruction. (In other words don't use a 1/2" item as that will just cause the roof to stop in a "almost" closed position.

NOW, here is the most interesting question: WHY isn't it sync properly the first time? I suspect dealer disconnected battery at last service and never syncd' it? Or batter was empty? Any idea?

Guess it doesn't matter. It works now. I recommend Jaguar to add a big note in the manual in the sunroof section rather then in the maintenance section. Will safe the dealers a lot of service request which Jaguar needs to pay them for.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Gears, just wanted to say thanks, because your way is much faster and works everytime. Unlike Jags with the switches, it doesnt always work and several techs have broken the drives using that proceedure which sets a high force limit when closed as it keeps driving it closed to set limits. I did find that it works better if you stop it mid travel instead of almost closed cause it will try to bite you harder and not stop
You are welcome. Mid travel makes sense and I believe that I was close at 2/3 by sticking my hole fist in.
Sorry to the guys who just stuck a couple of fingers in. Ouch.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Shade