XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Sunroof Shade

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I've been waiting for this to turn into a "this is a design defect and Jaguar should give me a new car" thread...

The following users liked this post:
Phil Davies (03-04-2021)
Old 06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
I've been waiting for this to turn into a "this is a design defect and Jaguar should give me a new car" thread...
That's hilarious!

Phil Davies (03-04-2021)
Old 06-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
Oh, just wait, there will be the one or other nitwit goint down that road. For the record. Mine works PERFECT. So by deductive reasoning it can't be a major design flaw.
Just need the right special tools (crushed fingers haha).

Old 06-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks to the OP. Mine has the same issue, which will be addressed while the infamous pop issue is resolved, but it's good to know a home remedy if it occurs again.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No it will turn into a class action suit because I smashed my fingers and it ended my career as a musician.

Phil Davies (03-04-2021)
Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 PM

Manual page 149.
I knew I would find it here.......thanks!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:31 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What a joke you need to go through all these machinations to fix the shade. Mine started that about 3 weeks ago - not closing all the way, and leaving an annoying 1/2 inch gap. Well, rather than the 45 second craziness, i went the other route but not with my fingers - i just hel a empty plastic water bottle there...it stopped. Then cycled it again and it closed.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i tried to reset using the front sunroof "not sunshade button" a few times after 45sec and nothing happened

Old 07-23-2011, 05:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Gears, this procedure worked perfectly for me. It does seem to take a long time (45 sec I'm sure is correct, but it seems like a long time).

Also, looking at your car list.. I'm wondering if you're wife and mine might be dopplegangers. I just traded in a 2007 CLS on a 2011 XJ.

Haha, sorry for the fingers. I should have clarified and written that I stuck my fist in between shade and frame. And yes, it pushed so hard, I thought something is going to brake. It didn't and it worked. But this is not for the faint of heart. And I am not sure if that is the best procedure.
After I checked the procedure on page 149 and tried it, it also worked. But it takes longer.
Most common mistakes with that and clarification:
1. The button referenced is the the ROOF Button. NOT SHADE button.
2. You MUST make sure the roof and ALL SHADES are FULLY closed before the procedure
3. As somebody stated, 45 seconds are long (when your arm gets tired holding the button). So make sure to TIME it or wait long enough.
4. You must PUSH and HOLD the FRONT of the SUNROOF button (NOT shade button)
5. Do NOT release button when the cycle starts. KEEP HOLDING until the cycle is finished.

And if all that won't work, do it my way. Since Brutal as a tech certified liked confirmed my rather raw procedure to work, do it my way. Stick you hand in or if you are afraid about your hand getting deformed, use a large square CLEAN object. Piece of wood, 2x4 ect.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I held the front roof button facing the wind shield for a minute nothing happens

Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Same problem with sun blind getting stuck. Resync procedure worked. Bloody love it when instructions actually work.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

when the cycle starts do you wait until the shades close again or no?
when i do it the shades open the roof opens then closes and shades stay open.
i have to shut them separate with the individual buttons .
is that right? or should the shades close?
Thanks

Old 02-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Shades open automatically but never close automatically. You must always push the shade button separately to close the shades after the sunroof is closed.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 PM

Realize this is an old thread, but i recently had an issue with my 2012 XJL SC where neither sunroof nor shades where operational. The hard reset, as described above, did not work for me, but once I removed and re-seated the sunroof fuse in the trunk, everything began working.

I also realize this may be an obvious fix for some, but hopefully some newer Jag XJ owners like myself.

Phil Davies (03-04-2021)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Default Grinding sun shade

Hi guys, just wondering anyone can help.

I have this problem, the front sunshade when I retract it, it will go back n start making a grinding noise for a while before stopping.

Then when I press the button to close it ahead, it only makes the grinding noise without closing at all.

I have tried using the resetting method but to no avail.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Early X351s had issues with the sun shades with rattling and failing. Sounds like stripped gearing and slipping out of timing in your case. Likes it's a mechanical failure.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicknags
Hi guys, just wondering anyone can help.

I have this problem, the front sunshade when I retract it, it will go back n start making a grinding noise for a while before stopping.

Then when I press the button to close it ahead, it only makes the grinding noise without closing at all.

I have tried using the resetting method but to no avail.

I had the same issue and took it to the dealer to get it fixed under warranty. Turns out that the gears or something for the shade had slipped off the tracks, and they had to fix them back on properly. I had initially thought that the motor failed, but that wasn't the case.

The following 2 users liked this post by LiquidIce:
Nicknags (05-02-2015), Phil Davies (03-04-2021)
Old 05-02-2015, 02:46 AM

The motor was faulty n the clip slipped off the track and broke.

Damage for the replacement parts, SGD $2k and waiting period to have the parts ordered in to Singapore.

Are there any parts store which I can order online?

Old 06-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Default Rear sun roof shade

I recently bought an XJ and I experienced a similar problem with the sun roof shade. The front one was fixed no problem by putting my hand in as an obstacle. I tried to fix the rear shade in the same was and the obstacle 'my hand again' de-railed the shade.

I haven't a clue how to repair it, it certainly isn't obvious.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar or could anyone offer any advice as to how to fix it?

If nothing else, be very careful before trying to fix the rear sun shade, it's more sensitive than it looks.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:58 PM

Hi there. Looking for help. Just purchased a 2012 Jag XJ and I am having the sunroof shade issue stated in this thread. I have read through each one and tried the button reset procedure and even the hand in the shade procedure to no avail. Still a gap! I have chosen to try to ignore it but it is annoying as heck.....any help?!?!?!

Quick Reply: Sunroof Shade