XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts
Default Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display

If you have a 2010 or 2011 XJ you will know the frustration of trying to use the touchscreen it was built with. The buttons are tiny and the touch screen is unresponsive without continually jabbing at it. It is a massive disapointment in an otherwise brilliant car.

I have seen this question pop up a few times on different forums, but haven't seen anyone sharing the way to upgrade that to the much more usable later versions. Which is odd, because it is really, really easy to do. I have now upgraded the system in four X351s from 2010 and 2011 without any issues encountered so far.

All you need is a 2012MY onwards touch screen from a breakers yard. Typical cost is £150. It takes all of 2 minutes to change over.

1. Pop the surround trim off with a flat blade where where the dash trim has its seam about level with the base of the screen. It just lifts off.
2. Remove the eight size 20 hex screws and remove the AC controls and the old screen.
3. Swap the screens over.
4. Replace AC controls, screws and trim.

That's really it - no programming, no security codes, just turn on the ignition and after a slightly longer than normal pause for the first time only the screen will come on with all the options fitted to your car as before. Only this time you only have to lightly touch the buttons to activate them, and the software will be running at the later version with larger buttons, better sat nav controls, and so on. It is so much safer to use.

There is only one thing you need to watch out for when selecting a replacement screen. If you have dual view and want to retain it then the donor screen must also be dual view. Otherwise it's not an issue to fit a dual view screen to a non-speced car (you'll gain the hardware, but will need to code it by modifying the CCF data to make it available for use). The easiest way to determine whether it has dual view is to either get the donor VIN and check the build spec on TOPIx, or ask for a photo of it still installed and look for the button on the AC control panel.

The AC control panel does change along with the touch screen specs on each model year. For example the earier ones did not have dedicated AV/NAV and PHONE buttons. You can however still access all the functionality with your original 10/11 AC panel. On one car I swapped the panel over as the owner wanted the newer style buttons too and that worked fine too, but it is not really necessary. Note that from 2015 (maybe 2016 US) model years onwards the door locking buttons moved onto the door handles themselves. Also note that from 2013 the BW sound system was replaced with Meridan. If your car has one of the premium amp levels the icon will apear as Meridan if the touch screen is later than 2013, however when tested it still operates as before. From 2017MY the touch screens may be different if the new system was specified so always check the donor unit looks like the one you are removing.

Below are some photos of the last 2013 screen I installed, together with the changed AC controls. The final two with the trim fitted are from a 2015 screen fitted to my own XJ. The software is very close but slightly tweaked nav controls and some UI gloss. The main difference is that the nav screen no longer has that annoying confirmation prompt, instead you get one when first starting the car that times out automatically after 15 seconds if not touched anywhere on the screen.

When looking at the label on the rear of a screen, the sideways numbers on the far right are the date code. The first two are the year, the others I suspect are week codes. Anything made after mid 2011 will have 2012 or later software installed.

Attached Thumbnails Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-wp_20160517_18_59_44_pro.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-wp_20160517_18_59_59_pro.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-wp_20160517_19_00_42_pro.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-wp_20160517_19_02_11_pro.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-wp_20160517_19_02_21_pro.jpg  

Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-wp_20160517_19_03_35_pro.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-wp_20160517_19_06_19_pro.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-wp_20160517_19_06_56_pro.jpg  

Last edited by xdave; 05-17-2016 at 01:40 PM.
The following 17 users liked this post by xdave:
AdrianM (11-21-2016), Bierse (11-15-2022), gagman66 (11-07-2016), Geoff7477 (09-24-2019), Geoffrey Fake (11-19-2018), Ghaffar Sheikh (02-07-2018), Grizzley1 (10-15-2020), HarryTales (05-26-2016), LiquidIce (06-06-2016), Pana89 (08-22-2016), pellowe (05-20-2016), Serlock (05-18-2016), sorapp (06-07-2016), swajames (05-17-2016), tonyhamiltonsr (07-16-2016), User 42324 (02-11-2020), XJsss (05-18-2016) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
Default direct fit plugs????

looking at this for a 2011 XF.
It does not appear that the gray plug is a direct fit from 2011 to the facelift version. Is it?

Old 05-17-2016, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Checking TOPIx for a 2011 X250/XF it appears to use a different touch screen setup with an older IAM version. I have no experience with that model so I wouldn't like to say if it can be upgraded, but it probably wouldn't be a straight swap as with the X351.

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (02-11-2020)
Old 05-18-2016, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks for the information but, contrary to what you're saying, I haven't found it necessary to continuously jab at the touchscreen in my car. In fact, that is redundant; sort of like pushing an elevator button more than once. What I HAVE noticed is that the response of almost every component on the car is much slower than on my other vehicles. In the Jaguar, one light touch on the screen is sufficient, but then there's a delay of several seconds before it responds. On my my Ram pickup and my Mustang, response to a touch is instantaneous. The same goes for the engine start button; on the Ram and Mustang, a quick jab will start the engine immediately... with the Jaguar, I have to press and hold the button to start or stop the engine. I assume this is normal because I test-drove several XJ's and XJL's before settling on the one I bought.

Dwayne

Old 05-18-2016, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member

A US 2011 car may be a 2012 MY, as you tend to get the newer spec cars before we do even when built before ours. If it has ever had any warranty work done requiring the screen to be replaced it will be at the 2012 level which does not suffer from quite the same issues. It is still a slower system than the later cars (2013 onwards was instantaneous), but whilst the hardware was still slow it at least registered the presses.

What does your screen look like? Big valet button in the top left and a hard Menu, Phone and Nav on the AC control panel, or a small valet button in the bottom right and no hard buttons? The latter system was fitted to 2010 and 2011 MY X351s (and other models) and has about 500ms dwell time required to register a press. The delay coupled with the tiny buttons makes "finger hunting" an issue on cluttered screens like the sat nav the entire experience. I have only seen 2010 and 2011 cars that had the slower system, but I have only seen UK-spec cars and never a US one.

On my 2010 3.0l diesel to stop the engine you have to hold the button for about an second, presumably to stop you hitting it while looking for the volume button (on RHD cars the button is not visible from the driving position so you have to feel your way to it), but to start you should only need to lightly touch it once and keep the brake the depressed. The starter motor may take a few seconds to turn it over, but you don't need to keep the button held down while it does that. As long as the ignitition starts the engine shuold follow.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Interesting... I never took into consideration possible differences between cars manufactured for the US market versus those sold in the UK. My screen has no hard buttons. A light touch on the starter button has no effect on anything. The button must be pressed in and held for a second or two before the starter engages. The button can be released once the starter engages and, as you stated, the engine will follow. My car has the 5.0 L Supercharged engine but during the test-drives prior to purchase, I also drove a standard 5.0 L eight cylinder, and a couple of 3.0 L six cylinders and noted the same starting technique on all of them. Maybe that's a US thing too; I don't know.

Dwayne

Old 05-18-2016, 03:24 PM
uh2
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
If you have a 2010 or 2011 XJ you will know the frustration of trying to use the touchscreen it was built with. The buttons are tiny and the touch screen is unresponsive without continually jabbing at it. It is a massive disapointment in an otherwise brilliant car.

I have seen this question pop up a few times on different forums, but haven't seen anyone sharing the way to upgrade that to the much more usable later versions. Which is odd, because it is really, really easy to do. I have now upgraded the system in four X351s from 2010 and 2011 without any issues encountered so far.

All you need is a 2012MY onwards touch screen from a breakers yard. Typical cost is £150. It takes all of 2 minutes to change over.

1. Pop the surround trim off with a flat blade where where the dash trim has its seam about level with the base of the screen. It just lifts off.
2. Remove the eight size 20 hex screws and remove the AC controls and the old screen.
3. Swap the screens over.
4. Replace AC controls, screws and trim.

That's really it - no programming, no security codes, just turn on the ignition and after a slightly longer than normal pause for the first time only the screen will come on with all the options fitted to your car as before. Only this time you only have to lightly touch the buttons to activate them, and the software will be running at the later version with larger buttons, better sat nav controls, and so on. It is so much safer to use.

There is only one thing you need to watch out for when selecting a replacement screen. If you have dual view and want to retain it then the donor screen must also be dual view. Otherwise it's not an issue to fit a dual view screen to a non-speced car (you'll gain the hardware, but will need to code it by modifying the CCF data to make it available for use). The easiest way to determine whether it has dual view is to either get the donor VIN and check the build spec on TOPIx, or ask for a photo of it still installed and look for the button on the AC control panel.

The AC control panel does change along with the touch screen specs on each model year. For example the earier ones did not have dedicated AV/NAV and PHONE buttons. You can however still access all the functionality with your original 10/11 AC panel. On one car I swapped the panel over as the owner wanted the newer style buttons too and that worked fine too, but it is not really necessary. Note that from 2015 (maybe 2016 US) model years onwards the door locking buttons moved onto the door handles themselves. Also note that from 2013 the BW sound system was replaced with Meridan. If your car has one of the premium amp levels the icon will apear as Meridan if the touch screen is later than 2013, however when tested it still operates as before. From 2017MY the touch screens may be different if the new system was specified so always check the donor unit looks like the one you are removing.

Below are some photos of the last 2013 screen I installed, together with the changed AC controls. The final two with the trim fitted are from a 2015 screen fitted to my own XJ. The software is very close but slightly tweaked nav controls and some UI gloss. The main difference is that the nav screen no longer has that annoying confirmation prompt, instead you get one when first starting the car that times out automatically after 15 seconds if not touched anywhere on the screen.

When looking at the label on the rear of a screen, the sideways numbers on the far right are the date code. The first two are the year, the others I suspect are week codes. Anything made after mid 2011 will have 2012 or later software installed.
The screen in my 2011 XJL is slow to respond, and most assuredly a resistive touchscreen that relies on pressure. Modern devices use capacitive screens which rely on conductivity (the human body) to operate. These are very fast and accurate.

Now having said that...DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND ONE OF THESE NEWER SCREENS IN THE US?

I'll literally buy it ASAP and swap it out the second I receive it. I absolutely HATE my touchscreen. It's embarrassing.

Last edited by uh2; 05-18-2016 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HarryTales (05-26-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Xdave! for your detailed info! I have a 2011 3.0D, and a touchscreen is shitty. In the porsche the response is instanteneous. But here its not. Its nice that update can be done so easily. Do you have any 2013+ touchscreens for sale? I would gladly buy one, im from lithuania. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2016, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

The early touch screens are downright dangerous and should never have passed QC. It's all very well putting a warning in the manual that you shouldn't operate them while driving but when they are used for climate control and seat heaters, etc, they are clearly intended to be operated on the move. The screens in the X350/X Type/S Type facelift from 15 years ago were safer and easier to use.

I don't have any 2013+ screens at the moment as I only get them in when people ask me to fit them in exchange for beer, but I have never had problems sourcing them. Normally a large Jag breaker will have a couple of X351s being broken at any one time (call them, they rarely list everything online), or eBay if you dont mind waiting a few weeks for a bargain. A lot of eBay ones will be listed for £300-500 but if you are paitent you will spot them for half that. (Sometimes they are listed as "satnav" instead of touch screens.)

The most I've paid has been £450 for the 2015 screen I put in mine which was brand new from a Jag dealer selling surplus stock as I really wanted one without the satnav nag screen. The cheapest 2013 was £85 via eBay because it had a scratch on it (which was hidden by the trim when fitted - the outer 10mm or so is covered anwyay!)

If you spot one on eBay that claims to be from a car being broken by the seller ask for the VIN and walk away if they don't want to provide it. It is usually possible to spots sellers who are fencing stolen parts if you browse through the other items they are selling, so don't support them even if they are offering a bargain.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:17 PM

As we speak ive made an offer on ebay listing for a 2013 touch screen. and agreed for 180GBP. But i need also controls for the A/C as they will be different i suppose. Waiting for his answers. So seems like ive got it. thanks!

Old 05-19-2016, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

Good luck! If you want me to check the pictures to make sure it is compatible and not one from a different model that has been mislisted, feel free to PM me with the auction number. (I promise not to bid if it is still open!)

If you are replacing the AC controls (you don't need to - you can still access all the features from your 10-11 one), ensure you get the correct spec for your car. The three to look out for are heated front windscreen (will be blanked on non-equipped models), dual view, and it should retain the lock/unlock buttons which moved to the doors in either 2015 or 2016MYs.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 PM
uh2
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
Good luck! If you want me to check the pictures to make sure it is compatible and not one from a different model that has been mislisted, feel free to PM me with the auction number. (I promise not to bid if it is still open!)

If you are replacing the AC controls (you don't need to - you can still access all the features from your 10-11 one), ensure you get the correct spec for your car. The three to look out for are heated front windscreen (will be blanked on non-equipped models), dual view, and it should retain the lock/unlock buttons which moved to the doors in either 2015 or 2016MYs.
If you don't mind selling one and shipping it to the US, please let me know. This part will be extremely difficult to find due to the fact that we don't have that many of these cars on the road.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:24 AM

Sure, if ill get any 2013+ screens, can sell to you.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Also very interested in doing a swap. It's the one piece of the car that is lacking. (That and a higher res for the screen for the speed would be nice but that seems impossible to swap out!)

Old 05-26-2016, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Default Important addendum

I cannot edit my original message so I am adding this here in the hope anyone looking at this thread will find this.

Please note that for full compatibility with a 2010/11MY car you will need a TS from the 2012 or 2013MY. Those with module build dates marked 14 (2014) will be 2015MY and although they will still function the following features will not work:

- Front massage seats. The different variable option from 2015MY onwards is incompatible, and the massage start/stop buttons will not be shown (although all other seat features continue to work).

- Sat nav in the instrument cluster. The TS appears to be responsible for generating the mini image that appears in the instrument cluster, and as the image format changed with the 2015MY to the full-width option the mini image no longer appears. Road names are still shown correctly.

I used a 2015 screen in my car because I prefered the auto-timeout disclaimer to the intrustive "press ok to continue" version of the earlier versions. There are a few tweaks to the sat nav controls, but they are only cosmetic, and all other functions not noted above appear to be the same. I don't care about the massage on my car, but I do use the sat nav mini map so I have now reverted back to a 2013MY screen in my 2010 XJ which retains all functions.

Although I kept the original AC controls in my car I had the opportunity to swap them out for a few different variants today at my friendly dealer and we discovered that up to the 2015MY they all worked as expected, but after 2015MY they crashed the MS CAN network on fitment. Because I was playing on favour time I didn't get the chance to properly debug the reason, but the info may be useful to anyone wanting to change their buttons to match the screen.

Last edited by xdave; 05-26-2016 at 06:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by xdave:
Angus (05-27-2016), Serlock (05-26-2016), sorapp (06-07-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 05:13 PM

Thanks Xdave, thats a good info! So we need 2012 or 2013 TS only.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to do this on my 2011 XJL. Besides the issues described, I've lately noticed the screen turning off while driving and I can't get it back on until I restart the car. Not able to reproduce the issue on demand though, so I don't think the dealership will be able to help. Besides if they do this, it will likely be replaced with the same kind of older screen. I wish I could just replace with the newer touch screen. Do you know where I can get this done? I am in Toronto Canada.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Nav System Failed

Don't know about up grade, but will be in for repair next week.
The Navigation System went out yesterday.
Can not enter anything and when I could it was like going in circles.
The screen goes black and said searching for signal when the sky is
clear. Radio and Temp control works fine.
I always carry maps. I use the GPS but I believe in back up.
( just signed the Extended Warranty two weeks ago)

If they up grade, that will be fine, It was always a bit slow.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:16 PM

So i was at a local parts breaker, where they had a 2012 XJ for parts. I thought TS might be good. But it was a 2011 TS, so all was the same like mine. Interesting thing was that after connecting that new TS - A/C controls did not worked. And climate section in the TS was not available. Put mine back - all fine again.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Serlock,
Do you have the engineering part number fom the label on the back for both your original and the replacement TS?

Quick Reply: Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display