XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display

Old 11-13-2016, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by superspatial
Can you guys confirm if replacing a 2010 touchscreen with a 2014 will bring along with speed and slightly better graphics any of these:
No:
- better resolution (identical, unless you switch a dual view for a single view - outside the US only)
- better colors (identical)
- better lighting (the touch screen has nothing to do with the lighting in the car)
- multi touch (never available)
- better smartphone integration (no change)
- music over Bluetooth (no change - BT streaming is handled by the head unit (IAM) not the touch screen. BT streaming has been supported since launch.)
- apps intergration (not available until 2016)
- better files management (identical options, but the UI is better)
- improved codecs (unsure, but unlikely as that is likely handled by the IAM not the touch screen)
Yes:
-anything else:
- sat nav and other UI is improved
- processing speed is improved
- screen is more responsive to touch
- no nag screen on startup
The upgrade is primarily for those of us that find the 2010/11 UI experience frustrating and want/ed a less obtrusive experience that does not raise your blood pressure every time you want to change radio station and have to repeatedly hit a tiny touch target, each time holding it down for 1 second to see if it worked. After the replacement it behaves more like a touch screen phone. Functionality-wise the basic options and support is the same; they are just presented differently and more responsively.

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
AdrianM (11-20-2016), superspatial (12-19-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By lighting I was intend to refer to brightness of the screen, sorry for my confusion and thank you for your answer Dave.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't noticed any different to the screen brightness. During the day it will be on full brightness and during the night the brightness is adjusted by the little wheel near your fog lamp switch (after a short delay).

Old 11-13-2016, 08:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My screen is pretty slow. Seriously considering doing this swap. Does anyone know the best place to get the screen? I can't find them anywhere. I see new ones for $3000+....are there cheaper ones out there?

Old 11-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Try E-bay and LKQ Online Parts. That's where I got mine. Search for Jaguar XJ touch screen or display.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:28 AM
Default Interested in replacing my TS

Hi All,
I've read carefully this thread and I would like to upgrade my TS too.
Looking on ebay I could not find any available and fit TS. If anyone (xdave .. with many thanks in advance) can help me locate a piece I would be grateful.

Also, has anyone thought of what will mean to replace the whole infotainment system with the Infotouch Pro - the 2016 version?

I have just bought the car - the nicest present I gave myself for my birthday - so I am new to the forum also.

First Jaguar to own, after Mazda6, VW, Volvo and Audi A6 last one.

Pretty impressed with the car so far.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:14 AM
Default Replace/Upgrade Old Nav Screen

I am in the US, and own a 2011 Jaguar XJL Supersport.
Love the car. Absolutely brilliant - except the Nav-GPS-TV Screen. It's a blemish on an otherwise amazing vehicle.

I was at the Jaguar dealer looking at an X-Type for my son, and spent some time with the newer InTouch system. Massive difference, just night and day...

After reading the posts here I've become inspired to switch out my old screen.
However I've no idea which model and year is best.

Post #43 has the exact same physical buttons as my model does. Locks, Hazard, Menu, Seat Massage and Power.

I have front seat massage, a Sirius radio subscription, don't need the CD head/player upgraded, and want to keep my current AC buttons and system.

Just hate the unresponsive, dated looking, clumsy designed screen!

I've looked on eBay and lkqonline. Not finding much, and am uncertain about what I do find..

Please advise!!!!

Old 12-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Speeding up touchscreen

I've just discovered something that seems to make a massive difference for my touchscreen! If you go to setup, screen, then animations and turn of the animation transitions between screens it speeds it right up! Give it a try and see what you think

Old 03-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 2010 XJ with dual view and I want to keep this function. So if I understand correctly in order to upgrade the TS I need a late 2012 TS with dual view function. I can still keep my old buttons. Everything will work including the instrument cluster mini map and can still stream music via Bluetooth? Is this correct. I am struggling to find a TS at a decent price. I have tried Ebay but nothing is there yet. Cheers.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Dual view screens with WERS p/n CW93-10E889-DB are confirmed working with full functionality.
Single view screens with WERs p/n CW93-10E889-AB are also confirmed working with full functionality.
No need to upgrade the IAM (CD/DVD player module).

You would be able to replace yours with the former, and retain your existing AC control panel buttons, with no loss of functionality on a 2010MY car.

There are no DV screens on eBay at the moment, only one SV screen. Your best bet is to contact a few Jaguar car breakers and tell them your interest in a touch screen from a 2012/2013 car with the part number CW93-10E889-DB printed on the rear. Alternatively you can ask for the last 8 characters of the VIN on any 2012/2013 vehicles they are breaking and use https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/user/loginForm to check the specification of the vehicle to see if it had dual view then make an offer.

The following users liked this post:
cicirrigi (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you!! Xdave for you reply you're the best!! I wil try to contact some Jaguar breakers. I will keep you posted if I will find something. Cheers.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Default Will this help ?

Can anyone help - I've just purchased my first Jaguar & it's got an intermittent fault - after around 90 minutes (sometimes more sometimes less ) an error message is displayed on the TS saying it's lost bluetooth connectivity, at the same time all sound - even button bleeps stops, the SatNav stops and the reversing camera does not activate. It's resolved by turning off the car, locking and unlocking and restarting.
Question - will replacing the screen fix this or is there another component that controls all this ?

Thank you in anticipation.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

I'd be looking at the battery/charging system. It is critical in these XJs that the battery be in good condition as while it is not exactly the same as was my situation with a failing ECO battery. On drives over 90 minutes I would get notification the ECO had faulted. My tech explained that after 90 minutes the electronics believe the system is fully charged. If your battery is right on the edge and cannot supply the required voltage the car starts to shutdown services. So the recommendation is get a full battery load test. Just MHO

Old 04-11-2017, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
I'd be looking at the battery/charging system. It is critical in these XJs that the battery be in good condition as while it is not exactly the same as was my situation with a failing ECO battery. On drives over 90 minutes I would get notification the ECO had faulted. My tech explained that after 90 minutes the electronics believe the system is fully charged. If your battery is right on the edge and cannot supply the required voltage the car starts to shutdown services. So the recommendation is get a full battery load test. Just MHO
Thanks - I had wondered about the battery but it has passed tests with flying colours so that's not the issue.
i am thinking it could be an overheating issue but not sure what to check first.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I just updated the Touch Screen in my 2011. Everything works awesome EXCEPT I no longer get voice guidance from the NAV.

Any ideas?

The screen I bought is part #CW9310E889CB
Date 12 06 13

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2017, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Have you checked it is turned on? It may be a setting that is stored in the TSD and your replacement had it turned off.

Failing that, and I am only guessing here, but as the nav data is stored in the IAM on that system, maybe the data format changed and you need a map update?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you Dave. I went through all of the settings and believe it's on.

Is there a way to tell what map version I have?

Old 06-25-2017, 09:15 PM

I upgraded my early 2012 touch screen with one from a 2013 from LKQ per the suggestions. Overall I love the upgrade, the speed, larger buttons and the navigation nag message that disappears by itself after 10 - 20 seconds or so. There are some downsides, I also no longer have the navigation detail in the instrument cluster, nor do I have access to the rear camera, which I had on my home screen before as a shortcut to help me with parking in the garage, and the voices for the navigation system are more limited. The rear camera still works when in reverse, but the button that used to be available on the parking sensor screen is no longer there.

Quick question: would upgrading the navigation maps/software help any? or does it just update the maps?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sgregg67
I upgraded my early 2012 touch screen with one from a 2013
Please could you confirm the numbers/dates from the label on the replacement screen so I can cross reference it? A photo would be brilliant.

Re. the reverse camera soft button - it was removed for 2013 and now only activates with the parking sensors (either in reverse, or by pressing the 'P' button on the roof console when travelling under 20mph and then selecting the 'camera' button).

Re. the cluster mini map - the image is generated by the touch screen hardware, not the IAM which actually holds the stored map data. The firmware of both can be upgraded via USB so the factory map updates may also include firmware updates but I am unsure - Cambo likely knows the answer here so I shall defer to him. I would like to see your part numbers (above) to confirm if your replacement falls within the range of previously known working modules, or if it is in fact a 2014 MY module (can be fitted to a 2013-made car). Do you have massage seats? If so can you test if they function correctly.

The following users liked this post:
Del Toro Armando (11-18-2018)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:27 PM

I'll take a look over the weekend for the details on the new touch screen. Don't have the massage seats, so they work every bit as well as before :-).

On the reverse camera, I also do not see the button when in parking sensor mode, i.e. pressed the button on the ceiling and driving < 20mph, but it works fine when in reverse

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display