XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJL - A/C, volume and door locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJL - A/C, volume and door locks not working

Locks will work with fob but not from buttons on the inside,I can't turn the a/c on at all from the touch screen or the climate control knobs, no heated or cool seats but seat massagers work any ideas?

Last edited by GGG; 11-25-2019 at 07:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
scottrader1 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

It sounds like something has gone wrong with your AC control panel which handles most of the IO you have mentioned, but is possibly a fuse.

What year is your car? I'll check the schematics to see if anything jumps out as a single point of failure.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
It sounds like something has gone wrong with your AC control panel which handles most of the IO you have mentioned, but is possibly a fuse.

What year is your car? I'll check the schematics to see if anything jumps out as a single point of failure.
its a 2011 it all happened one night after I left the lights on for maybe a hour after I ran into a reasturaunt but when I came out it started right back up

Old 12-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Given you mentioned the lights were left on for an hour there is a chance the battery is low. I would get it fully charged and then check again. The AGM battery in these cars can crank the engine but not have enough voltage to run the electrics. When the voltage is low, the battery monitor in the car will disable certain non-critical features to save power. One is the heated seats. Another may be the AC but I am not certain on that.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
Given you mentioned the lights were left on for an hour there is a chance the battery is low. I would get it fully charged and then check again. The AGM battery in these cars can crank the engine but not have enough voltage to run the electrics. When the voltage is low, the battery monitor in the car will disable certain non-critical features to save power. One is the heated seats. Another may be the AC but I am not certain on that.

im going to give that a try in the morning

Old 02-21-2017, 10:14 AM

Still no fix I bought a new battery and nothing changed I still can't use the volume knob or the unlock buttons on top of climate control panel nor the a/c but the a/c blows automatically depending on the temperature outside

Old 03-09-2017, 11:20 PM

Started working yesterday out of no where and tonight it's back not working I'm not sure what the deal is

Old 03-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

I've heard that when you replace the battery the system has to be reset, I think, with an SDD, but not sure. Also, have you tried locking the car with the outside door handle/button by pushing twice and hearing the horn chirp and waiting 30 seconds befor opening the door as this resets the systems. From time to time my center screen will come on and there is no display but the screen is on and just is blank with a off white color. I then go through the process i described above and the system reboots and the center display is back to normal.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
I've heard that when you replace the battery the system has to be reset, I think, with an SDD, but not sure. Also, have you tried locking the car with the outside door handle/button by pushing twice and hearing the horn chirp and waiting 30 seconds befor opening the door as this resets the systems...
Useful to know. From where did you get these nuggets?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

The SDD reset from my Jag Tech, who is also the dealer's shop foreman and also trains techs. As for the reset through the door handle switch - experience.

The following users liked this post:
RoonieQ (03-11-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll bet you $1 that the Infotainment panel has a short in it. Typically happens due to the cup holder being placed directly in front of that panel. One full cup of coffee with a suspect lid and one good tap of the brakes is all it takes to get enough liquid in that thing to start corroding the circuit board. It'll work off and on like that until it eventually stops altogether. Not much in labor to address it, but you have to replace the entire infotainment button panel. I think the panel is like $1600 (but that's a bad guess from a fuzzy brain and based on pricing in our market.) It's certainly possible that a short has occurred for another reason. We've replaced a couple for non liquid related shorts, but the vast majority of them short because of spilled beverages.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I guess I'll never have to worry about that happening. I NEVER drink anything while I'm driving my car, nor is anyone else allowed to eat/drink in it. The only time I've even laid eyes on my cup holders is when I slid the doors open to see what was in there. For me, cup holders are the biggest waste of space ever! BTW, this applies to every vehicle I own... not just the Jaguar. It stems from my job as an auto detailer when I was a teen - I saw first-hand that food and drink are a car interior's worst enemies.

Dwayne

Last edited by dga57; 03-15-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with similar problem

So, I got the same issue on my 2015 XJL as OP. None of the buttons work, only the hazards. I took the panel completely apart, there was evidence of a sugary drink spillage (I bought the car used). I cleaned the mother board with a Qtip and put it all back together, but no change. It's still not working, so I've got to assume it's toast. There are many versions of that panel on Ebay for a reasonable price as I do not want to pay $1000 to a dealer for a new panel. Does anyone know if these panels are interchangeable between different years and versions? It looks like the connection in the back is the same, no matter where the buttons are located or what version of the panel it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Whenever I change electronics I make sure the part number matches all the way to the end. The main part number usually ends with a version code like AA,BB,BD something like that.

The other thing I do is check the JEPC. Do you know how to do that?
JEPC-Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog.

I have my own version but I think it's on-line to. Then follow your part number to see if it's been superseded and you can see if it's used across the entire Jaguar line and what years use the same part.
Since the XJ is Jaguars top model that panel you are chasing will only be found in another XJ.

Please post your part number in case someone on here has replaced it in the past.
Or someone might even have one for sale too.

One other thing is this same damage has also taken out the rotary shifter mechanism but you are not reporting any problems with that.

We have a factory tech named Brutal on this forum who fixes and sells some Jaguar parts.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:37 PM

Thanks for replying. I am not familiar with the parts catalog, so I’d appreciate if you could check my part number. The gear selector works fine. As for one of the other posters, only the hazards work and the panel does not light up at night. I cannot find the exact same panel as mine on Ebay, so I don’t know if it’s interchangeable with other years. There seem to be several versions of that panel.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:46 AM

Good day!

I have exactly the same problem, which seems have happened after battery run flat, I fully charged the battery, but same did not gave any result, I guess the battery monitoring module has to be rebooted, but do not know really how and if same can be done only at Jaguar dealer.. One important for me point, could you please advise if your backseat aircon controls are not working also?

In my case:

-Buttons on front console are not working and not lighted up (exactly as yours)
-Buttons on backseat aircon control panel are lighted up, but controls are not working and temperature screens are off
-Aircon on touchscreen showed as "off" and no any controls are working via touchscreen also, neither aircon not, heated/ventilated seats

*My main battery was tested and appears to be good / Small start/stop battery was replaced

When I was reading errors with OBD reader it showed error on CAN Network Bus which was repeating in few modules

Old 11-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ArtiomZerebcov
Good day!

I have exactly the same problem, which seems have happened after battery run flat, I fully charged the battery, but same did not gave any result, I guess the battery monitoring module has to be rebooted, but do not know really how and if same can be done only at Jaguar dealer.. One important for me point, could you please advise if your backseat aircon controls are not working also?

In my case:

-Buttons on front console are not working and not lighted up (exactly as yours)
-Buttons on backseat aircon control panel are lighted up, but controls are not working and temperature screens are off
-Aircon on touchscreen showed as "off" and no any controls are working via touchscreen also, neither aircon not, heated/ventilated seats

*My main battery was tested and appears to be good / Small start/stop battery was replaced

When I was reading errors with OBD reader it showed error on CAN Network Bus which was repeating in few modules

Agreed. Same for me. Back seat controls are not working and touch screen does not allow changes to ac. The seat massager works, but I cannot turn on the seat warmers front or back. Do your hazards work? I hope someone knowledgeable can chime in to help.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Wojdalski
Agreed. Same for me. Back seat controls are not working and touch screen does not allow changes to ac. The seat massager works, but I cannot turn on the seat warmers front or back. Do your hazards work? I hope someone knowledgeable can chime in to help.
Sound like exactly same problem, my car does not have massage function, but heating / cooling doesn't work either, both front and rear seats. Hazard lights operating and the hazard light button has light, all other buttons around doesn't have light. It seems that the system cuts off all above mentioned functions when battery is weak / running flat, but I can not understand why than the functions are not back when I fully charged the battery.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:06 AM

Yup, looks like we are in the same exact spot with identical symptoms. The interesting part is that my car was sitting untouched for a long time (over a month). When I turned it on, it started just fine and all controls worked, however after a few minutes of engine running, the panel stopped working. I do get the message (battery low, start engine) on the dash when I get in, but I let the car run for half hour then hooked up an outside charger to the battery, still no change. However, if the battery is strong enough to start the motor several times in a row, why am I getting the low battery warning? How do I reset the battery warning?

Old 11-13-2019, 07:13 AM

Thats exactly my situation also, my car was in a container on the way from USA for over a month with the key inside the car. Once the key is in the car a lot of electronic modules are still running and draining the battery, you still have enough power to start the car, even several times, but since battery is weak seems it cuts off such functions as A/C and heated/ventilated seats. I think the solution is to reflash the battery somehow, or battery monitoring module, but I will be able to try it only in about three weeks from now, so if you will meantime have problem solved, please share your experience here

Quick Reply: XJL - A/C, volume and door locks not working