XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Can someone help out a noob

Old 01-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help out a noob

hi guys,
I've been lurking the forums for a fix but I cant seem to find a fix! I went out today to start up the XJ12 and it wouldn’t start. I filled it up with about 20 L of fresh 91 octane fuel and tried again. The car still refused to start. I can hear the fuel pump prime when the key is at accessory. I can also hear the injectors opening and closing when I’m cranking it. Its really strange because i started the car 3 days ago and it was running without a problem, idle was fine and I could drive around. It did start when I floored the accelerator pedal but it was running around 200-300 rpm and very rough. Any idea what it could be?

here is a video i made while i was trying to start it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmw28neys5...30228.mp4?dl=0

Old 01-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start out with the basics. You can hear the injectors but are they getting fuel. Have you checked for spark? What does the fuel filter look like? Start at the basics and check off.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

From the video it sounds like it's not getting fuel but after all that cranking I'd start by checking the plugs are clean and dry ........

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 PM

I got it running.
first I replaced the fuel filter, I dont think the it had ever been replaced.
Then I moved to the air temp sensor on the driver side intake (the cables were corroded but the sensor was good so I ended up replacing the cables)
It was also arcing out near one of the fuel injectors due to a bad wire which i replaced.
Now it starts immediately once the key is turned, after about 1-2 seconds of key turn. I dont think I can keep on fixing this car so I think I am going to sell it. I'll list it over in the sale section but if anyone wants any detail, please PM me.
Here is a link to my ebay ad:
1988 Jaguar XJ12 Vanden Plas | eBay

Old 02-01-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by xj12nv
Start out with the basics. You can hear the injectors but are they getting fuel. Have you checked for spark? What does the fuel filter look like? Start at the basics and check off.
The fuel filter was clogged up pretty bad, I think it was the original filter! I think it was a little too cold (-8 Celsius 17 Fahrenheit) for the car to start but once I cranked it enough, it finally started. In order to get it started, i sprayed some starter fluid into the intakes, primed the fuel pump a 6-7 times (By moving the key to position 2) and then turned it over while I had my foot all the way to the floor. The throttle had to be open all the way for the engine to start. It sorta stumbled to life and it sounded really rough in the first 10-20 seconds. I had to hold the throttle at 600-700 RPM otherwise the car would stall if I let go. After a full minute the car was stable enough to run without any throttle input and it found idle at 900-1000 rpm, a little high but atleast it was running.
Now it idles at around 900-1100 RPM.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:46 PM

One more thing before I forget it:
I think the cold start injectors were not working properly on my car and preventing it from starting up. The cold start injectors are supposed to kick in when the engine temp reaches 0 C (roughly 30 F) and give the engine extra fuel to start. There is a cold start relay located to the right (when viewed from the driver's seat) of the fuel pump relay. Sometimes it helps to remove the relay in order to bypass the system and try starting the car. For me that didnt work, instead I let the car sit and hoped for warmer weather. Hopefully If anyone else has this issue, they can refer to this thread.