XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Gonna look at a '97 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 03:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gonna look at a '97 XJR

In my Internet wonderings, I came across a '97 XJR for sale, ad states a check engine light and runs only in limp mode. I have an '02 XJR-100, along with an '88 XJS, '85 XJ6, and '86 XJ6 (Fred Flintstone special). I do all my own work on the '80's cars which don't require an ODBII tool. I'd like to add one to my tool box. I'm assuming an ODBII / ABS would be helpful. I also know that Jaguar has some of their own codes. Along with my fleet of Jags, I have a fleet of Chevy's too where the ODBII scanner could be helpful.

This brings me to my post. I'm looking to purchase an ODBII scanner which is my best choice. I don't want to dump a ton of money into this tool because that will cut into my Jag parts purchasing budget.
So is there a sub $300.00 unit that will serve me well? Okay, $500.00? (that extra $200.00 just cut into my IRS shocks for the '85 XJ6)

I'm not adverse to using a computer / laptop with a USB device either. I'm in the computer business, so I have no shortage of computers.

Please advise, and thank you in advance.

Mark

Old 05-17-2015, 02:47 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Is this the one in Morton?

Old 05-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Default 96 xjr

yes, this is the one in Morton, Have you looked at it?

Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkLee
This brings me to my post. I'm looking to purchase an ODBII scanner which is my best choice. I don't want to dump a ton of money into this tool because that will cut into my Jag parts purchasing budget.
So is there a sub $300.00 unit that will serve me well?

I've found that the Innova 3130 is a good choice for DIY-level work. Reads/clears codes, gives live data, EZ to use

Cheers
DD

Old 05-19-2015, 12:13 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkLee
yes, this is the one in Morton, Have you looked at it?
No but I am in Enumclaw so it's tempting.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Some thoughts.... first I love my 97 XJR, so can definitely recommend the make/model generally speaking.

Here is a "buying guide" for X300s, which may be helpful:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...yers-guide.doc

But I'd be cautious about the car in question. My gut is that the asking price feels high considering the mileage, the rust I can see on fasteners etc, general condition and the fact that it has a CEL and is in limp mode.

If you are into hobby or project cars, then perhaps it isn't a big deal. But if don't have the time or inclination, you might look to spend a little more for a better example that will cost you less in the long run.

BTW, two other observations....

Looks like the drivers seat power adjustment controls are ripped out.

Also is interesting to note that the rear seating has the "console extension" with what appears to be the buttons for rear heated seats. But as far as the community knows, rear heated seats were not available in the 97 XJR/XJ due to the new seat design. It was a one year omission. So just generally curious about that.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2015, 04:46 AM
Default Haven't looked yet.

after your reply, I took a closer look at the pics, and you're right, the car does look a bit rough. Not too surprising, the owner is a logger.

He bought the car at an auction (so it's not going to be a good car). he "fixed the transmission, control module) then the check engine... worst case skipped a tooth on the timing chain; easy fix would be emission, plugs, coil packs. I don't know much of anything about the AJ16 - durability, how long it will last before an overhaul. I do know about the V12 and the AJ6.

the interior bits, are expensive. unlike the older cars. I'm also looking at a lump '74 XJ6 it's all jaguar, but a mix of 3 cars - a Frankin-car. the interior is in really good shape, and very little rust. It would be a cool build AJ16 supercharged and some of the x300 / 308 interior. Another thought is to push a bit more air into the Frankin-AJ6 to see if I can get a bit umph!

The work was typical of a backyard mechanic - fix the problem, not fix the problem right.

Back to the '97 XJR
I have an 02 XJR-100 and love the performance, not too crazy about the ride as a highway cruiser. The road noise is defining. I'm thinking it's the Michelin Piloit sports. I much prefer my '88 XJS. The '97 has been worked on (since this owner) by professionals not necessarily Jag professionals. but these cars aren't really too different from their other European counterparts or even some high end domestics.

So I don't know. It's a 150 mile trek for me. btw, I did look at the motor trend specs, and they list the option for the heated back seats. I too I didn't think it had heated rear seats, or the x308 dash, but the odd x40 / Aston Lagonda'isk button/ verticle - which I don't really care for.

I'm thinking it would be a fix and flip. for me - fix it right. factory right. but there may not be enough margin to do that.

What I'm really looking for is a Series III XJ12. That would really make my face smile

Thanx for your candid response.