XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Scrap or roughly cut gem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrap or roughly cut gem?

Alright, I was walking about my local junkyard and spotted something that interested me greatly. A Jaguar XJ12, for a long while I've wanted to get my hands on one of these 6.0L V12 engines and this just seems like the perfect chance. My question is, for about $300 is this engine usable?
I noticed their are some pieces missing most noticeably the throttle linkage, and fuel lines, along with some piping. However, when I removed the Valve cover cap and peered into the engine, the cam-chains where generally clean with only a light brown coloration along the walls within from what I can see.
I would like to know your opinions on whether this is a usable engine, or whether I should pass and wait for something better to arrive.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Unless I'd heard the engine running, I wouldn't buy a V12 without a compression test. That at least gives you an idea if you have any issues with head gaskets and/or dropped valves.

The question I always come to with cars that are in a junk yard is why did they end up there in the first place? Does the car have accident damage ? or does everything look ok? in which case I'd suspect some kind of mechanical issue was the cars downfall. This could be the engine, it could be the trans....... the point is you don't know. The other challenge with junk yard cars is there is always a lot of parts been taken from them and it's not always obvious whats missing if you don't have a reference car to look at.

Last edited by Sarc; 03-23-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 PM

I hear you on the compression test, I'm still on the fence about whether to grab it or not. I too like to know why the car is where it is, their does not seem to be any damage to the body of the car. Infact, besides some cracks to the dash and piece removed by other people. The car is in fairly good kit. Even the door handles are plush. The junkyard marked in on the window that the car had around 107,000 miles and I do believe it after looking into the cam cap. However whether those miles where the engine or tranmission's last I don't know. I do know they wrote off the car as a loss for "other".
I do remember the suspension components where alright, so I'm guessing it's a gamble of the transmission or engine.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

It sure would be a good "parts car" for someone with an XJ-12 versus eventually going to the crusher....

Old 03-27-2015, 05:06 AM

That's what eats me up! I have a big love of cars but little money. I could buy this engine for the project I plan to work on. But my major fear is that someone may of really crapped out on taking care of this motor and let the cooling/ oil passages go to hell. Before I grab this engine the only thing I can do is remove the valve covers and check for sludge after doing a compression test.
I really hope the cylinders are good, I don't want to have to resleeve the motor.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I too love the 6.0 V12

Being the motor head that I am, I too share your excitement. I have the 5.3 in my XJS but would love to get my hands on a 6.0.

the first thing I'd do, is pull the plugs, and put a wrench on it to see if it's ceased. look inside the radiator for goo. Goo is never good. Check the dipstick too. I know it's been sitting, but if all of the major / important holes are plugged so bad stuff stays out, and no goo. what have you got to lose?

Heck for $300 bucks, clean it up, put a piece of glass on it and call it a coffee table.

I have an XJS grill on my mantle and a 30 year old new 15" Dayton wire wheel with the original Pirelli P-Zero tire (never been mounted on a car) as my fireplace screen. I'd so do the coffee table

Good luck! hope it works out for you, oh, and if you do get it without the car attached be sure to get all the wiring harnesses, ECU / ECM's too.

M