XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

XJ12 dual airbox on an X300 XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question XJ12 dual airbox on an X300 XJR?

So here's a wacky thought: I wonder if one could fit the right hand second airbox from an XJ12 in an XJ6, specifically an X300 XJR?

Why? ...well a lot of owners, including actual engineers such as XJREngineer, have made some strong arguments for increasing the filter/airbox intake capacity. Some have advocated adding another intake tube to the box itself, some add "cold air intakes", while some just hang a big cone filter off the end of the intake and MAF.

But even with adding additional "holes" or tubes to the airbox, one is still limited by the air filter media. But lots of testing has shown that airboxes actually work, and bolted on aftermarket filter often provide little to no benefit. So I was thinking that if I could increase the airbox and OEM filter surface area, that might be the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately there isn't room or a way to really change the existing airbox, but Jaguar already may have a solution, just add a second one.

So I wondered:

1) Is there room to fit the right hand XJ12 airbox to an XJ6?
2) Would the mounting hardware for the right hand XJ12 airbox bolt right in to an XJ6?
3) And the big question, how would one plumb the output of the right hand XJ12 airbox over to the existing left hand airbox (don't expect anyone to know how to do this yet, as it would take some imagination)

Anyone have quick access to the service manual exploded view of how the XJ12 right hand airbox is installed, or even photos?

So just brainstorming as I thought it was an interesting ideal, at least in concept.

Thoughts?

Old 07-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Don't really bother doing that. If you have air intakes with two different lengths, you'll end up with the shorter one working all the time and the other length will just cause turbulences.

I'd do it a tad easier. You want a larger pipe diameter to the TB so start there, measure that and make sure the piping stays that diameter. What good is it, if the TB is the smallest diameter in your intake system? More air wouldn't help.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Don't really bother doing that. If you have air intakes with two different lengths, you'll end up with the shorter one working all the time and the other length will just cause turbulences.

I'd do it a tad easier. You want a larger pipe diameter to the TB so start there, measure that and make sure the piping stays that diameter. What good is it, if the TB is the smallest diameter in your intake system? More air wouldn't help.

I was thinking along the same lines regarding turbulence, etc. the more I slept on it.