2004 XJ8 soft pedal after caliper change

Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Received 253 Likes on 201 Posts
Default I need to be more clear

Originally Posted by Don B
Well, they stock at least two:

Universal Power Bleeder

European Power Bleeder

The reason I'm so interested is that I have the similar unit from Bavarian Autosports, with both the stock German cap plus an additional "universal" cap similar to the one on the universal ECS Tuning bleeder. The problem with mine is that the German cap is too tall and won't thread down tight enough to seal on the reservoir of our '04 XJR. The problem with the universal cap is that it is too large for the opening in the cowl, and I've been too lazy to remove the cowl just to bleed the brakes.

I may try ordering one of the ECS Tuning BMW caps to see if it will fit.

Thanks!

Don
The one I purchased is made by Schwaben. It only lists VW, Audi, MB, and BMW. But fit fine on my 2006 XJR.
Purchased to flush an Audi A8 D3. If the cap is different on the Jaguar it is close enough that the plastic cap still seals.

Last edited by Don B; 01-18-2017 at 10:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 10:51 PM
Received 12,717 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
The one I purchased is made by Schwaben. It only lists VW, Audi, MB, and BMW. But fit fine on my 2006 XJR.
Purchased to flush an Audi A8 D3. If the cap is different on the Jaguar it is close enough that the plastic cap still seals.

This one?:

Schwaben Power Brake Bleeder

Old 01-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 253 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Yes sir

[QUOTE=Don B;1604987]This one?:

Schwaben Power Brake Bleeder

That is the one I have. Did not see the one with the metal cap at that time.

Don B (01-19-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OK, I got the power bleeder in and have been trying to bleed the brakes. The way I'm doing it is filling the MC, connecting the power bleeder via the cap and hose, pump until I have about 15lbs. pressure, opening the bleeder valve on the pass. rear. I'm getting straight fluid but at a very slow rate, is this normal? I expected when I opening the bleeder it would come out fairly quickly. Still not getting any air to come out but I was thinking as slow as it is coming out maybe it won't force the air out.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:58 AM

I have run about a quart(a little short of that) and the fluid is so clear you almost can't see that there is fluid in the drain line, at all 4 corners. I'm pretty satisfied that I have completely flushed the fluid with new. Still soft pedal.

Something that still bothers me is that traction control light being on. Can anyone tell me what makes it come on and why it would stay on? I was wondering if it thinks there is a traction problem and won't allow the brakes to lock up, similar to the ABS? Any thoughts on this?

Old 01-22-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

That light is related to the ABS/TRAC system. As such, you should
be attending to that before proceeding.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:12 PM

OK, never messed with ABS. Any pointers on troubleshooting?

Old 01-22-2017, 05:11 PM

More to report. I have a DSC system failure also. I've been searching the internet and it seems it may be the solder joints on the power supply to the ABS module? Anybody have any experience with this problem?

Old 01-22-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by wardf
More to report. I have a DSC system failure also. I've been searching the internet and it seems it may be the solder joints on the power supply to the ABS module? Anybody have any experience with this problem?
I have heard of ABS module solder joint problems on earlier cars (XJ40s, X300s, X308s & X100s), but I don't recall any reports of that problem on an X350. The most common cause of a DSC problem is with one of the wheel speed sensors, either a dirty sensor, a problem with its electrical harness, or a failed sensor.

If you have the diagnostic trouble codes scanned at a dealer or by an independent mechanic with a system that can read proprietary Jaguar codes, you'll get some clues as to what is going on, and if it's a wheel speed sensor or its electrical circuit, the diagnostic system will tell you which one.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-22-2017 at 06:47 PM.
XJRay (01-28-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:10 PM

I really do appreciate all the help. Can some one that has Ford reading ability read the Jag codes? I talked to the previous owner today and they told that the DSC System fault was on long before the brake failure. The right rear sensor was covered with metal shaving magnectically(from the destroyed rotor), I cleaned it off and cleaned the others but I'm going to go back and make sure.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:39 PM

I really do appreciate all the help. Can some one that has Ford reading ability read the Jag codes?
It is possible someone with a Ford VCM can read the proprietary Jag codes, but you'll have to check with the specific shop to be sure.

I talked to the previous owner today and they told that the DSC System fault was on long before the brake failure. The right rear sensor was covered with metal shaving magnectically(from the destroyed rotor), I cleaned it off and cleaned the others but I'm going to go back and make sure.
That at least tells you the DSC fault is probably not related to your soft brakes.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Old 01-23-2017, 10:06 AM

So I drove it down the road and the brakes may not be as bad as I thought. But I'm driving in 4X4 mode. I drove it a few miles down the road but it didn't come down a bit.

I still have the ABS light/traction control and DSC problems but at least I can drive it some where to have the codes read if I can get it back to ride height.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XJ8 soft pedal after caliper change-dsc01992.jpg