XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2005 supercharged XJR: Restricted Performance

Old 05-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry 2005 supercharged XJR: Restricted Performance

Still getting the Restricted Performance message. after driving any where form 20 to 35 miles it comes on and the performance difference can be felt!! runs like its chained to a tree. there no codes now or stored. no other problems.
the only thing is if I keep driving it any where from 15 to 35 miles its never the same, it go's off. and the outer day after trying for a day to get it to reset I finally went to a friend and after hooking up to his scanner I found no codes not any even stored. but after I unhooked scanner and restarted car it was gone again. drove last night to daughters school for a play and home... did fine. drove to store and around block a few times next day...all good. then drove to town went fine to dr office about 18 mile, set while was at dr for about an hr. drover to store was fine then on way back to house once again restricted mode and still no ck eng light is on. no codes!!
HELP!!! I have searched the forms and all over the net but no luck!!! I'm lost need help from some one smarter than me!!
thanks in advance.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by troy adams
Still getting the Restricted Performance message. after driving any where form 20 to 35 miles it comes on and the performance difference can be felt!! runs like its chained to a tree. there no codes now or stored. no other problems.
the only thing is if I keep driving it any where from 15 to 35 miles its never the same, it go's off. and the outer day after trying for a day to get it to reset I finally went to a friend and after hooking up to his scanner I found no codes not any even stored. but after I unhooked scanner and restarted car it was gone again. drove last night to daughters school for a play and home... did fine. drove to store and around block a few times next day...all good. then drove to town went fine to dr office about 18 mile, set while was at dr for about an hr. drover to store was fine then on way back to house once again restricted mode and still no ck eng light is on. no codes!!
HELP!!! I have searched the forms and all over the net but no luck!!! I'm lost need help from some one smarter than me!!
thanks in advance.
When you get this problem, do you remember hitting a bump at all?(speedbump, entering a driveway, pothole, etc)

Old 05-10-2016, 01:01 PM

no sir not that I know of

Old 05-10-2016, 01:04 PM

The reason I asked, is mine would do the same thing. It turned out to be the TPS connection on the throttle body. When I hit a bump, it would jostle the wires and throw it into restricted mode. I bent the wires, wrapped a little electrical tape and have had no issues for almost a year. I would check the connection and see if the wires look 'worn'.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:10 PM

could a cold air intake cause this problem? I wouldn't think so but I did put one on - we have just had the car a week. bought it for my little girl and drove it back over 1300 miles home. there were quite a few things wing with it as I have posted on here, but thought I had all but a drivers side balest fixed. but this problem has me baffled!! as I said when I can get it to go off its good for short runs but at around 20 to 35 miles driving it comes back and as I said feels like I'm dragging a tree till I get it to go off again. but wont show any codes,temp oil every thing else seems fine.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:14 PM

iv checked the tb and wiring as you stated already but could find nothing. thought might be a miss I'm not noticing, cop heat up after so many miles, but it doesn't throw a code.
as I said need some one smarter than me...lol

Old 05-10-2016, 01:18 PM

How do you reset the system, disconnecting the battery or does it go away on its own?

Old 05-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

When you checked for codes did you check all modules eg gearbox

Old 05-10-2016, 01:34 PM

it resets it self, most times. and a time or 2 with me messing with the e break and then hooking it up to a scanner but had no codes and I didn't erase any thing.
and the only way iv ck for codes is with a scanner.
and thanks for all the help!!

Old 05-10-2016, 01:39 PM

also it only reset on my friend scanner wont do it with mine. iv ordered a mongoose from the uk but have no ideal how long it may take to get here.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:48 PM

Without any codes, it will be difficult. Not to be a smart-butt, but is the code reader being used correctly? You should have new or stored codes in there. That aside, could be a misfiring plug or coil, even a battery getting weak can cause this issue.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:59 PM

thanks for the reply, yes my thoughts would be a cop. .coil over plug.. laying down. but as I said no codes. and tes all 3 readers are working and being used right. I don't know if my snap on can read all jag codes and that's why I ordered the mongoose. also wondering if it could be the ebrake? any way as I stated there are no codes and no stored codes. and I'm pretty sure jag is like most cars in that a code has to register for a time or at least hit more than once to show or store and its just not doing that.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:01 PM

battery showing 13.7

Old 05-10-2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by troy adams
battery showing 13.7

With car running or off?

Old 05-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Old 05-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyT
The reason I asked, is mine would do the same thing. It turned out to be the TPS connection on the throttle body. When I hit a bump, it would jostle the wires and throw it into restricted mode. I bent the wires, wrapped a little electrical tape and have had no issues for almost a year. I would check the connection and see if the wires look 'worn'.
Hey VinnyT, I was about to post about my restricted performance issue and was reading this. I've driven to take care of my girls in Belgium from England and the day before yesterday had to drive on some really really REALLY bumpy half road things. Yesterday restricted performance came up and I can't find anything wrong!

Where do I need to look? I've managed to come without my toolkit and have to drive back to England (6 hour motorway drive) and wouldn't mind having proper performance again.

I've noticed if I stop and go into neutral it seems to rock more than before, feels like the revs are going up and down but on the ref counter they're fine so that could be my madness....

Old 05-10-2016, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by ukdeluded
Hey VinnyT, I was about to post about my restricted performance issue and was reading this. I've driven to take care of my girls in Belgium from England and the day before yesterday had to drive on some really really REALLY bumpy half road things. Yesterday restricted performance came up and I can't find anything wrong!

Where do I need to look? I've managed to come without my toolkit and have to drive back to England (6 hour motorway drive) and wouldn't mind having proper performance again.

I've noticed if I stop and go into neutral it seems to rock more than before, feels like the revs are going up and down but on the ref counter they're fine so that could be my madness....
Check the connection at the TPS. Those wires get a beating with that heat shield cover.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Does sound to me like a TPS related issue.

Or it could be something else that a generic scan tool can't detect (like B, C or U codes).

TPS problems is a fairly common theme on these engines, sad to say...

Old 05-10-2016, 08:39 PM

well after farther inspection I'm thinking a cop or plug, as I can lay hands on motor and feel a small miss. may be wong but old school, metal rod and hands did more for me in my race days than any tool!!!

Old 05-11-2016, 04:17 AM
Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

Have you tried taking a scanner with you so when the fault occurs without switching the car off hook up the scanner and see if any fault codes are showing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 supercharged XJR: Restricted Performance