XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2005 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 XJ8

Hello everyone, I'm upgrading from my XJ40 to XJ8.

I'm looking at a 2005. And from the forum I've learned a lot!

2005: no Nikasil liners, 3rd upgraded chain tensioners, (metal)
water pump & thermostat housing no probs.

So now it's almost perfect??

Is there anything to watch for, unlike jaguars of the past,(lol)

This 05 in (CFH) flamenco red, rare! just over 100k miles.
Please don't put me off too much, probably impossible.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Hold on for a mod to move post to right forum.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by dstjohn
Hello everyone, I'm upgrading from my XJ40 to XJ8. I'm looking at a 2005.
I've moved your question from from General Tech Help to X350 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to advise.

Graham

Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

possible things to look for:
Air Suspension issues - most likely causes are leaking shocks or faulty compressor. For leaking shocks, you can get replacements from Arnot or go ahead and do a full coilover set, depending on your budget and fancy. Lots of threads (and opinions) here. For faulty compressor, you can get new($$$), rebuilt one ($$) or tackle a rebuild yourself with bagpipingandy's kit. Lots of threads on Andy's kit also.

front suspension bushes: If you're hearing knocking as you go over bumps, that'll be the most likely issue. You can choose to replace the whole part (arms, links etc) at a high $$, or remove and press new bushings into the old parts, which is possible, but needs tools and skills. I had my Indy do this, and it was still cheaper than replacing all the parts with new. Jag dealer will not replace bushings, only offer you the more expensive route.

Best advice I can give is to find yourself a really good Indy in your area. Check the Regional forums for recommendations. Having the knowledge, skills and tools (including diag SW) is indispensable for our cars.

Good luck.

Last edited by anindyam; 02-16-2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Dyslexic keyboard
Old 02-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

What a jump!! I went from a xj-40 VDP to a x308, to a x350 super V8.

What you loose: (the Good)
No rear end sag when loaded
No rear valve cover leak
Absolutely no Lucas
A bonnet that opens forward (depends what your doing under there)
No differential issues (whine,growl)
No output shaft issues
No foam-filled rotted front X-member
Broken door handles
Electric Antenna Mast replacement
Leaking boot
Ashtray door that fades and cracks
Jurid issues
Blower motor diode/darlington replacement
Frozen, clogged fuel filler. Looked better, but the new location is more practicle.

What you loosethe bad)
Some of the last greatest leather ever (all surfaces)
REAL CHROME
Polished stainless steel trim
Heavy steel body
Limited slip rearend
Wool carpet (not including mats)
Glass headlights
A HUGE flat boot
A bonnet that opens forward (depends what your doing under there)
1/2 hour spark plug change
A car thats easy to jack up
Real gauges
Seat heaters that fry your a%#
Outstanding paint
Fast brake pad changes
Wood trim you could beat with a stick
Did I say REAL CHROME (including the grill)
An unmistakable low slung Jaguar

These are just some of the comparisons. The bad seem to outweigh the good, but they really dont.
The things you will gain will blow the things you will loose out of the water.
I loved my XJ-40 to death. It never left me stranded. never went into "limp home mode", and never ever was mistaken for any other car. But we all get old and wear out.
My x308 was a disappointment. The X350 is totally another story.
I havent loved a car as much as when I first got my XJ-40, until now. Drive one and you'll see.
It rides like a loaded xj-40 (smooth) but stops on a dime, and turns in a curve without your rear puckering.
I could write for days (pages) about the improvements of the X350, but they are all here on the forum. If you still have doubts, go to jaglovers and read the xj-40 posts. unlike here on the x350 pages, they ALL refer to repairs, vs x350 owners cover both repairs and likes/improvements.
"what to look for" page will inform you about the x350. As you have owned a xj-40, you shouldn't be scared off by Jaguar issues (shocks, air suspension, ect) Probally only 6-10 items total. But some arn't cheap. Check the car over well, and use as bargining power. Don't sell youself short and dont be afraid to walk away. There a lot of them out there in that mileage range.
This forum tends to cover the X350 more than jaglovers, allthough jaglovers got me thru some hard times with my xj-40.
I NOW have somewhere to put my damn coffee !!!!!!!!!

Dont be afraid to ask forum members about specific issues on a possible purchase. But be aware, you may not always like what the gut responses are. But its only from our past poor choices, and experiances.
"When you go on a road trip just to drive, you know you've got a winner!!"
Welcome to the forum.

The following users liked this post:
pkoko (02-17-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

Great tip "check Regional forums). If you can find an owner near you, they might help check the car over with you.

Last edited by Mark in Maine; 02-16-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Almost perfect ?????? Why almost ?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I've had my X350 with the Ford-based 3 litre V6 from 2010. It's a 2003 car, bought at 30k miles and now on 103k miles.

My experience is that the drive train side is bullet proof, and the body, being aluminium has stood up very well, except for one or two places where the notorious "filiform" or "crevice" corrosion has occurred. This is a minor issue in terms of the integrity of the car, but is unsightly and can be expensive to cure if you use a paint shop.

From my own experience and of others on this forum, the suspension and the air springing system is the one thing that seems to cause problems, and sorting these out can be costly.

There are four air springs that also include the shock absorber, made by Bilstein, and the most common problem is the air spring diaphragms fail. It is possible to replace these diaphragms but there aren't a lot of firms that do it. Arnott Industries used to, but now have stopped,, preferring to offer their own air spring units. These are quite a good price. Bilstein now sell OEM units on the aftermarket, but these are expensive, although less than you'll pay at a Jaguar dealer. Other component that fails is the air compressor, mainly the piston seal. A kit to replace this on a DIY basis is available, or you can get a new or service exchange compressor for about £300. Early compressors seem to have been worse than later ones, as mine failed at around 35k miles, yet the replacement is still there at 103k

Then there is the basic suspension itself, based on the S-type Jaguar. This has upper and lower wishbones front and back with their lots of bushes and ball joints, and these don't last very long, frankly.

Only today, with my car in for a service, I have been advised by my local independent that two of the bushes at the bottom of the air springs have wear, and these have only been on for a short time. Of course, with four spring units, these four bushes together take the weight of the car and all the forces into the spring units. Hence a short life is almost guaranteed ! Having said this, the bushes are not expensive and are easily replaced. The wishbone bushes also don't last very long, but with these it is a toss-up between swapping out bushes, and just putting a new wishbone on with its new bushes. The labour to swap out bushes can mean there is little difference in cost to a new wishbone. The steel ball joints at the front at top and bottom wishbones are very long lived unless the rubber boots split and are not noticed before salt, water, and grit, has got in and wreaked havoc.

All in all, I still like my car, and intend to keep it for a while yet, but I think Jaguar made a big boo-boo in making the car all-air suspension. The later XJ, (the current model), has backed off from full air springing, and only has air springs on the rear. The other Jaguars that came after the X350 did not fit air suspension, so I think this shows that whilst it seemed a good idea at the time, the maintenance and repair costs were unacceptable for most owners.

Apart from the above, there is not much else of a serious nature, but you can get some silly failures from time to time like all cars.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 02-16-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:05 PM

Many Thanks, Another one has surfaced, same color, but 75K miles!

Old 02-17-2016, 01:49 AM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I went from XJ81 (XJ40 Xj12) to X358

What is better:
More head room
Better egress/entry... Power seat adjusts way better
More comfortable seats
Way lighter
Faster than XJ12
Great fuel economy
Cup holders
Wooden heated Steering wheel
Quad headlamps... unmistakable Jaguar appearance.
Electronic safety ( DSC, TC, etc...)
No V12 phobia (No mechanic wants to do anything on that car; even brakes )

What you lose
ULTRA silky smooth engine (V12)
Ultra Luxurious leather (X358 is still better than any Mercedes or BMW but no longer Rolls/Bentley quality)
Wood veneer isn't as nice. It is more blah rather individualized.
Limited Slip differential ( I have no idea why Jaguar ditched it)

Old 02-17-2016, 04:44 PM

Hello Everyone, These posts are most excellent. It seems the move to v8 is the right move, with Thanks, David