XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2006 xj 4.2 supercharger engine swap HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 xj 4.2 supercharger engine swap HELP!

Hi!
My name is Jonas and i live in Norway. My nabor just bought a 4.2 supercharger jaguar engine en gearbox out of a 2006 xj and have plans to try and fit it in hes
Mgb. I know it will be a tight fit. Is it any guide on how to do the wiering When swaping trist engine in to a different car? He whants to try and use the stock ECU.
Thanks /Jonas

Old 08-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

That is a heck of a big motor, transmission and necessary extra bits and pieces to attempt to fit in in a very small car. Have you made any measurements to see if it will even remotely fit? Sounds like a huge amount of fabrication would be required.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Hello Jonas.
If you can fit it mechanically, then the larger challenge will be getting the electrical to work. I do not know the details for a 2006 XJR electrical. I recommend taking a close look at the JTIS electrical schematics for the car. High probability that this car uses CAN based controllers. This means that you will likely need to use the transmission that came with it, along with the same differential gear ratio it is programmed to. Probably need the body control module, ABS/TCS, and instrument cluster.

If you can find someone to hack the ECM and turn off all the required CAN messages that let the ECM run the engine, this is another approach.

I've tried this on a different conversion and still don't have the car running electrically.
These days I would recommend purchasing a fully programmable aftermarket engine control module, adapt a harness to fit all the Jaguar sensors. Using a programmable ECM will let you output instrument cluster signals, and/or you could put in a Car PC in the dashboard and use it with tuning programs, to tune in the engine. I've seen ECM kit in the $2500 to $3500 USD range.
In the long run this approach is probably the fastest way to get the car running, othewise you will have to become an expert on Ford CAN in order to get the car running.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM

Thank you for the answer!
This ECU system seems complicated.
If we forget about using the stock auto gearbox and just run the engine then he shold be abel to us any of the usual aftermarket stanalone ECU systems and a universal harness? Has anyone used aftermarket ECU on thees engines?
Thanks for the help!
He has done som meturments and the engine will fit whit som smal mods on the frame :-)

Old 08-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

The MGB GT V8 had a Rover V8 fitted, and it went in OK. This engine was an all-alloy 3.5 litre unit originally developed by Buick. However this was a push-rod V8 so the cylinder heads were quite compact. The engine block would be of a similar size to the Jaguar engine, and like the Jaguar, a 90 degree angel between the banks.

The problem with today's V8s is they are usually all DOHC and the cylinder heads are much more bulky than pushrod engines. The proposed engine may, therefore, need a very large power bulge on the bonnet to allow it to fit, OR serious mods to the sides of the engine compartment to allow the heads to fit in sideways.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jonask
Thank you for the answer!
This ECU system seems complicated.
If we forget about using the stock auto gearbox and just run the engine then he shold be abel to us any of the usual aftermarket stanalone ECU systems and a universal harness? Has anyone used aftermarket ECU on thees engines?
Thanks for the help!
He has done som meturments and the engine will fit whit som smal mods on the frame :-)
I don't think anyone on this forum has tried to run a 4.2 STR engine with an aftermarket ECU. I looked in to it with the LS3 engine I put into my 2000 S-type, but I didn't want to pay $3K to $6K for a good aftermarket system.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

A tiny number have started out to do it but never come back with any outcome. It looks challenging and they've mostly had no clue about modern engine controllers so draw your own conclusions.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

The issue is not fitting an aftermarket ECU but integrating it with the various busses on the car and the other modules.

If you are only using the engine you wont have much trouble with an aftermarket ECU.

Cheers
34by151

Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by rhankey
That is a heck of a big motor, transmission and necessary extra bits and pieces to attempt to fit in in a very small car. Have you made any measurements to see if it will even remotely fit? Sounds like a huge amount of fabrication would be required.
True, but it isn't COMPLICATED fab.

Just run the MGB through a bandsaw right down the middle, weld in six inches of wotever is needed to match the left and right half at each point as one progresses from nose to tail, and go swipe the suspension out from under a stout old SAAB goods delivery truck....

More seriously, one would have to use a sidecar for the motor unless switched to hydraulic or push-cable steering off a boat or sumthin. No Fine way the DOHC V8 will clear the column.

A BOP/Rover V8 could fit. Not just because was rockerbox instead of DOHC. But because rather unusually, the angled heads let the rockers and covers go near-as-dammit straight up instead of being splayed-out.

60-degree V6 is another possible.

MG-C used wot? The ex-Austin-Healey inline 6, was it not? And that was a PIG, due to mass and placement of mass.

PS: If the 'friend' didn't already know it, the MGB had a seriously marginal chassis, suspension, and brakes even with its original 4-banger's loads.

Friend of mine campaigned one, SCCA. She had taken the National Class H championship the previous year in a pink bugeye Sprite.

Moved over and allegedly UP ..to a new MGB, and even with money and tech support behind her, got her lunch eaten by Datsun 2000's and even the odd well-prepped older TR3.

Last edited by Thermite; 08-27-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Lots of people have done V8 engine swaps into MGBs. My brother had a Buick 215 his autocross car 25+ years ago. Search online and you will find over 30 swap projects. I presume that Jonask's neighbor is trying to use a Jaguar engine because it it more common there than a Chevy or Ford engine.

The other things that will have to be done is putting in a stronger rear end, fender flares for wider rims/tires to handle the increased power.
(Perhaps a jaguar IRS. - Its was done years ago.)

As stated earlier, there are a lot of high horse power aluminum block V6's
that are a lot easier to install.

This project will end up being lots and lots of work. To do it right, the majority of the MGB swappers strip the car down to the bare body and build it ground up. (New front suspension with modern rack and pinion. New rear end, cut out most of the fender well panels and rebuild around the engine.)
Installing the engine and getting it to run is just the beginning...

Old 08-28-2015, 12:28 PM

IT is a 3.5l Rover v8 in the car now. The jaguar engine metures the same in the botum as the space between the framrails so some cuting and welding is nesesery to Get some clearens. The bonnet has to be modefied to clear the engine.
Thank you for the answers so far. I will update you on the progress but it might take som time becase the car has to get MOTd whit the Rover v8 frist.
Sorry for my bad english.
/Jonas

Old 08-28-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

get a manual gearbox and a stand along ecu for it,

Old 08-29-2015, 04:13 AM
Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Lots of people have done V8 engine swaps into MGBs. My brother had a Buick 215 his autocross car 25+ years ago. Search online and you will find over 30 swap projects. I presume that Jonask's neighbor is trying to use a Jaguar engine because it it more common there than a Chevy or Ford engine.
Apples and Bowling *****. There WERE lots of small-displacement , small physical volume V8's, though many were inordinately HEAVY anyway. The 'Nail valve' 215 CID Buick was not alone in its era. '53 Dodge Red Ram solid-iron hemi (we owned one) was only 241 CID / 4.0 L and a tad smaller, physically, than today's 4.2 Jaguar (MOPAR were also HEAVIER!!).

The later B-O-P => Rover V8, OTOH is one of the smallest ever to hit long-running volume production and is also relatively lightweight.

Modern V6's are far more powerful for a given weight and size, and with less tweaking, though. Any of several of those could be a good mate, partly because their shorter OA length and low mass allows moving them about, and partly because their 60-degree banks impose less hassle w/r clearing the steering column with exhaust manifolds that work well.

The wide and not all that light Ford/Jaguar DOHC V8 is a different critter entirely.
It wasn't even conceived as an uber-high HP item. Rather as a reasonably powerful high EFFICIENCY one with a wide torque band and a long useful life on modest maintenance.

Far more of the cousins to the Jaguar V8 are in long-serving taxi, police, and hired limousine service than anywhere near a racetrack.

Back around the time I was a HS Seniour, an acquaintance managed to shoehorn a Chev 283 and GMC axle into the ****-end of a VW Beetle, taking up the whole of what HAD been the rear seat area as well as the coal-scuttle. Transmission output shaft had nought but a universal joint between it and the third-member.

He also died in the wreckage of it before the year was out.
Western Pennsylvania roads are severe and unforgiving. Last time I looked, Norge wasn't all that flat, either.

What is the design goal of a Jaguar V8 in an MGB anyway? Dick-swinging? Or what? Failing MOT, and BIGTIME?

Seems to me the Jag engine would command enough cash as spares to buy a far more suitable fit that would give sprightly performance on lower cost and risk.

The Rover V8 ain't half bad at that, either. Does it even need a vanilla rebuild?

Last edited by Thermite; 08-29-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:25 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by DaimlerMK2
get a manual gearbox and a stand along ecu for it,
Yep and there is even a six speed manual (5 + overdrive) that bolts up directly, from the S-Type diesel.

Aftermarket ECU will need to be a reasonably clever one to run the EGR and VVT but it's not that complicated.

The width of a quad cam V8 like the AJ33S might be a problem, it's much wider than a Rover V8 as they have canted heads that point straight up.

Get your tape measure out and tell me how much space, I will measure mine for you.

Last edited by Cambo; 08-29-2015 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

got the 6 speed box, but could not find a flywheel

Old 08-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Yep and there is even a six speed manual (5 + overdrive) that bolts up directly, from the S-Type diesel.

Aftermarket ECU will need to be a reasonably clever one to run the EGR and VVT but it's not that complicated.

The width of a quad cam V8 like the AJ33S might be a problem, it's much wider than a Rover V8 as they have canted heads that point straight up.

Get your tape measure out and tell me how much space, I will measure mine for you.
Fortunately, the SC engines do not use VVT. But there will be no shortage of other challenges.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by DaimlerMK2
got the 6 speed box, but could not find a flywheel
Talk to XKRacer here on the forum (Paragon design) he has made a couple to suit this combination.

Originally Posted by rhankey
Fortunately, the SC engines do not use VVT. But there will be no shortage of other challenges.
The 4.2 S/C engines from 2006MY have VVT.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Something we tend to forget, in late model engine swaps. The throttle bodies are "by wire" and you will need to adapt/fit the proper accelerator pedal into the car.
While on that subject, The control of the throttle body is tied into the ABS/TCS module and if you don't use the ABS/TCS module programmed to the ECM, the car will only run in limp mode. (Unless you can program this out of the ECM.)