XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

3M headlight restoration recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Default 3M headlight restoration recommendations

Like the thread title says, I'm looking for recommendations from those of you who've used the 3M kits.
There appears to be more than one. I'm leaning toward kit 39008. I want the drill attachment and pad for some trim work, so I know I don't want the hand held only.
Having said that, there seems to be other kits available.

Will 39008 meet my needs or should I look at something different?

Old 03-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Sean,

I think that's the kit I've used successfully on our '04 X350 and a few other vehicles. Works great, though on a Chrysler van the plastic yellowed again in a couple of years so I wound up buying new lenses anyway. But the X350 is holding up great.

A few tips I learned along on the way:

1. If you can remove the headlamp assembly and clamp it to a workbench or such, the polishing will go faster and you can more easily polish the outer radii of each lens without worrying about touching the painted bodywork with the sanding pad.

2. If you can't or don't want to remove the headlamps, apply two layers of good masking tape to all the surrounding painted surfaces, including the horizontal top of the bumper cover, where you may accidentally drop the drill - I did and was really happy I had masked the bumper cover.

3. The kit I used started with 500 grit sanding discs. The more time you spend with that grit working through all of the haze, the faster the next grits will go and the better the results will be. It can be difficult to tell if the haze is gone looking through your sanding scratches. A small bright flashlight aimed into the lamp reflector can help you see where the haze remains.

If you don't sand through all the haze with 500, it will be difficult to remove what remains with the next grit (1000 or 1500?). If you get all the haze with 500, the next sanding steps go really quickly and the polishing is a breeze.

4. In their online FAQ, 3M says that for heavily-hazed lenses, you can start the process with 320 grit (which is not supplied with the kit, but I assume you could use sandpaper sheets wrapped around a rubber pencil eraser or other flexible "sanding block").

Cheers!

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
Sean W (03-26-2017), Swim with the fish (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I've used this kit with much success. Highly recommend.

The following 3 users liked this post by abonano:
Don B (03-25-2017), Sean W (03-26-2017), Swim with the fish (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Sean,

I think that's the kit I've used successfully on our '04 X350 and a few other vehicles. Works great, though on a Chrysler van the plastic yellowed again in a couple of years so I wound up buying new lenses anyway. But the X350 is holding up great.

A few tips I learned along on the way:

1. If you can remove the headlamp assembly and clamp it to a workbench or such, the polishing will go faster and you can more easily polish the outer radii of each lens without worrying about touching the painted bodywork with the sanding pad.

2. If you can't or don't want to remove the headlamps, apply two layers of good masking tape to all the surrounding painted surfaces, including the horizontal top of the bumper cover, where you may accidentally drop the drill - I did and was really happy I had masked the bumper cover.

3. The kit I used started with 500 grit sanding discs. The more time you spend with that grit working through all of the haze, the faster the next grits will go and the better the results will be. It can be difficult to tell if the haze is gone looking through your sanding scratches. A small bright flashlight aimed into the lamp reflector can help you see where the haze remains.

If you don't sand through all the haze with 500, it will be difficult to remove what remains with the next grit (1000 or 1500?). If you get all the haze with 500, the next sanding steps go really quickly and the polishing is a breeze.

4. In their online FAQ, 3M says that for heavily-hazed lenses, you can start the process with 320 grit (which is not supplied with the kit, but I assume you could use sandpaper sheets wrapped around a rubber pencil eraser or other flexible "sanding block").

Cheers!

Don
Thank you Don for the tips. I'll definitely remove them because they're very easy to remove from the XK, 3 bolts, a few locating pegs and the water jet hose, electrical connector.

They aren't terribly hazed really, mostly around the edges. It's as though they were done once before and the PO or shop got nervous as they neared the paint finish.

I'll follow you tips. Appreciate it.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by abonano
I've used this kit with much success. Highly recommend.
Outstanding, 2 thumbs up from 2 vets. Thanks abonano.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

If you don't like donating money to large corporations (like me).

just buy 2 or three sheets of wet and dry emery paper.

I think I used something like 400,1200, and 2000 grit.

I was pleased with the result and I even did a partial

removal.

A couple of my lenses were degrading around the top edges

and I was able to polish just these areas without having to do

the whole lens. I didn't bother masking.

Finished off with Turtle Wax (remember that?)

Last edited by meirion1; 03-26-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:09 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1
If you don't like donating money to large corporations (like me). just buy 2 or three sheets of wet and dry emery paper.

Well, for what it's worth, among large corporations, 3M is one of my heroes. I use their products nearly every day and appreciate their quality and consistency and lack of marketing hype.

The drill-mounted sanding pad and sanding discs that come with the kit make the job so less tedious than sanding by hand that I consider the kit one of the genuine bargains in automotive renovation.

Typical disclaimers, no affiliation, etc.

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
Well, for what it's worth, among large corporations, 3M is one of my heroes. I use their products nearly every day and appreciate their quality and consistency and lack of marketing hype.

The drill-mounted sanding pad and sanding discs that come with the kit make the job so less tedious than sanding by hand that I consider the kit one of the genuine bargains in automotive renovation.

Typical disclaimers, no affiliation, etc.

Cheers,

Don
Yes and I'll use the pad to polish the Aluminum door trim.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

I have had my 3M kit for awhile, and am waiting for it to get warm enough to pull the bumper and lights.
The one thing that is holding me up other than weather, is finding a good UV sealant to apply after polishing. Most of the detailing forums stress that without a sealer (not wax) they will re-cloud up sooner, and require another polish.
The better sealers cure with a UV light. Some say you can cure it by setting the lens out in the sun. The UV light cures in seconds, the sun can take anywhere from a day to two days. I would rather cure it in a couple of seconds vs outside avoiding grit/dust to set in before it is cured.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

The 3M kit looks like a decent one, and has a lot of good reviews on Amazon.

I have all the products and pads myself, so I believe I typically use 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit (I begin at 600 or lower if its really bad). Follow up with Meguiars M-105 on an orange pad using the Flex 3401. I'll then use my choice of polish and a quality sealant, or just do a one step polish and wax with Meguiars D151. I tape off the edges of the paint as it is too easy to hit with the sandpaper or pad. It's typically cheaper in the long run to do it by piecing the kit together yourself, that is if you plan on using the pads and products purchased for other detailing projects, but I also understand if you are in need of a pad in the first place. A quality pad (Lake Country, Chemical Guys, etc) are usually around $10 or less, and then you'd need a backing plate and such.

Either way, it is definately a good idea to polish out the sand marks with a machine versus by hand, it is much quicker and you generally end up with superior results.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (03-27-2017)