XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Argh! Vibration.....

Old 03-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyT
Hi Don!

Thanks. The Jaguar dealer could not find a part number for just the coupling, only the whole assembly. He says the 2004+ models have them affixed to the shaft.
Since you have the option of replacing the driveshaft under warranty, you should definitely go for it. For others, it would be nice to know if the flexible coupling can actually be replaced (obtained from a source other than Jaguar). If you get a chance to inspect the manner in which the coupling is "affixed to the shaft." If it is bolted to the driveshaft, that might give us hope. If it is pressed onto the shaft before the shaft is balanced, we might still be able to come up with a DIY renewal method. I suppose it could be fixed in place with adhesive or such.

Please keep us informed!

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyT
Hi Don!

Thanks. The Jaguar dealer could not find a part number for just the coupling, only the whole assembly. He says the 2004+ models have them affixed to the shaft. This explains why in my research online, I could only find the coupling up to 2003.
I just noticed that the Sticky on "What to Look Out For in an X350" contains this little nugget of wisdom:

"Driveshaft / Propshaft center bearing & couplings
After 120'000 miles or so the center bearing in the propshaft tends to get a little loose, giving a slight "thud" when you get on & off the throttle. The center bearing cannot be replaced, only the entire propshaft.

The rubber couplings at each end of the propshaft should also be changed preventatively after 10 years, as the rubber will perish with age. These are not available for the X350, but the S-Type ones are identical."

Might be worth further investigation!

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Vinny, just wondering if you ever resolved this?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Me too. Hope Vinny answers...

My 2005 VDP suffers from exactly the same symptoms.
Drive on up through the speed, and choose a relatively smooth cruising speed, but still a real pia.

Help Vinny!

Old 04-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have this problem. I rotated wheels and tires and it didn't change a thing. I do have to replace the upper control arm. If that doesn't fix it i will down have to chase the problem.

Please Vinny if you are out there update us on your progress

Old 05-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Updates please - interested parties want to know!

Old 01-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 99 xj8 l vp i bought it a year ago and my excellent mechanic has been chasing the 53mph -60+ mph vibration in the drive train . it can be minimized with the sport mode but this is not right and i can only wonder what ddmage is taking place during this band aid.. we have been fighting this for a year.. the car was not delivered like this so why are we not able to get it back to like new? switched out the tranny , new juries , replaced drive shaft , just installed update tcm and still it is there. very slight vibe below 53 almost unnoticeable but at 53 it gets almost unbearable. i saw on this forum one time that some one knew of a mechanic in new england who knew the trick to cure but i failed to copy down the information..if anyone knows how to fix this i would be really appreciative.. feel free to email to me at qt1449@aol.com thank you in advance

Old 02-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by akew
i have a 99 xj8 l vp i bought it a year ago and my excellent mechanic has been chasing the 53mph -60+ mph vibration in the drive train . it can be minimized with the sport mode but this is not right and i can only wonder what ddmage is taking place during this band aid.. we have been fighting this for a year.. the car was not delivered like this so why are we not able to get it back to like new? switched out the tranny , new juries , replaced drive shaft , just installed update tcm and still it is there. very slight vibe below 53 almost unnoticeable but at 53 it gets almost unbearable. i saw on this forum one time that some one knew of a mechanic in new england who knew the trick to cure but i failed to copy down the information..if anyone knows how to fix this i would be really appreciative.. feel free to email to me at qt1449@aol.com thank you in advance
Have you tried to have the wheels balanced too? They seem to be very sensitive as far as vibration goes.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

You say it changes with sport mode? So it is not solely a speed thing? I had a xj-40 and a x308 that both had a vib at 55-65 along with a howl. The howl in one was a diff (well known with xj-40's), cured that by rebuilding the diff. The vib issue ended up to be output bearings on one and carrier bushings on the other. It seems that everything from the tranny to driveshaft have been addressed. Maybe its a driveline issue. Driveline issues usually show up at a certain speed range. Under - nothing, over - nothing, but a 10-15 mph range could be drive line.
Before I fixed them, I just goosed it to 70-75 and all was quiet. Not the best cure, but didnt embarass me with a rider either. I feel your pain, it seems you have dumped enough into it to solve it.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Vinny T
I just read all the post on this issue that you started back in 2014. It is now 2016 and I see no post by you on what the fix was, if any.

Would be nice if you would update what you found out and give all who offered suggestions an update as to what you found was your vibration problem, if anything.

Cheers

Old 08-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update: Vibration still there...

Chuck et al,

I can give you my 2 cents: I had posted some time ago and have had some work done in the meantime that may shed some light (as in glowing ember...).

I had my driveshaft replaced. That made the vibration worse for a couple of weeks.
I then had my tires, shocks and a joint (can't remember which, can't get a hold of my paperwork right now) replaced. No difference.

the car has since developed a wander with side wind and a rattle when going over uneven surfaces when driving slow, so I know that some bushings need replacing. I am bringing it in for service soon-ish.

One postulation I have, is that the rear subframe bushings are worn out, and have caused the subframe to rotate, which has put the rear diff out of alignment with respect to the driveshaft. I have this inclination because of the result I got when replacing the driveshaft. The vibration was worse when driving for a few days and then got better to the point where it was before. I think the new donuts were stiffer enough to amplify the alignment issue and then loosened up. Also, the vibration is worse the longer the car has been sitting.

I will post an update when the bushings have been replaced.

But please, chime in if one has found a solution!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-11-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
Vinny T
I just read all the post on this issue that you started back in 2014. It is now 2016 and I see no post by you on what the fix was, if any.

Would be nice if you would update what you found out and give all who offered suggestions an update as to what you found was your vibration problem, if anything.

Cheers

Never fixed it, traded in the Jag for a Merc.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

That's one way to fix it!!!!!