XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

"Cats System Fault" after Arrnott Suspension replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Cats System Fault" after Arrnott Suspension replacement

Hi Guys,
I recently had my mechanic replace the front passenger side suspension with one of the arrnott units. All went well except that I now get a "Cats System Fault" message. The ride also seems to be a bit rougher than usual. I expect a trip to the dealer is in order (ARRG!)The car is a 06 Super V8 Portfolio. Any suggestions.
Thanks Chris

Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

If you are lucky a simple reprogram of the suspension software will straighten out the car. There are a few simple steps to observe when replacing an air shock that saves you a reprogram.

If you are not so lucky the ride height sensor has been destroyed and you will need a new one. Don't despair. it's not that big a deal. Aftermarket service of air ride suspension can be tricky for the uninformed and no sweat for others. I'm presuming the air compressor is sound.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:25 PM

Thanks Tarheal, Yes I believe the compressor is fine. The reason for the replacement was a rattling sound over bumps. Ride height, leveling was never a problem. I gave my mechanic a number of printouts from this forumn so he was aware of the procedure. Anything else I can check before heading to the dealer?
Best,
Chris

Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Nope. We have drilled down to my level of ignorance on it. I presume you have driven it around for a few days now.
I read a report a number of months ago where an owner with a hyper extended suspension disconnected the positive battery cable and grounded it for a few seconds before reconnecting it to the battery. Allegedly this allowed the suspension Gods to reset things. I have my doubts about that but it can't hurt to try.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

Jagcrue1,

How about some feed back on your problem.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Finally got the car to the dealer yesterday. The service manager informed me that the tech discovered the 2 pins on the top of the strut were either missing or pushed down to the point where the pigtail could not plug in fully. So as I drive home I call armory industries and they inform me that do a 100% inspection on all of these before they leave their facility. So I finally arrive home and plan to call the guy who installed the strut for me and ask him why he jammed the connector in to the point it damaged the pins. I decide to take a look myself when I arrive home. To my surprise I notice there is a red piece on the end of the pigtail on the drivers side that I don't see on the passenger side one. I look into the top of the strut and see the red plastic piece that should be on the pigtail inside the connector on the strut. I remove it with a pair of needle nose pliers and this exposes the 2 pins. I then snap the red plastic piece back onto the pigtail connector, plug it in, start the car and the code is GONE. I,m not sure how a trained jaguar mechanic misses this and I pick up on it. Good news is the cats system is now working as it should. Bad news is I still hear a rattle on that side. It seems to be at lower speeds. On to the next mystery!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Nicely done, Crue. I hope you'll stick around and keep up with us and let us keep up with you as you continue your ownership experience. And please, let us take a peek at your prized possession by posting some pics!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Thank you for the update and glad it was a simple solution. Amazing how sometimes small details like this escape us while we spend hours searching for other solutions!

Old 11-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Jagcre,

Do you suppose that your dealer serv dept was not all that pleased to find an Arnotte shock installed and they did not give your problem the best they had in terms of time and attention?

Nah. Who would believe such a thing! lol

Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If the plug and the stut tower is damaged, lose, disconnected, etc, it will cause that fault.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jagcrue1
Bad news is I still hear a rattle on that side. It seems to be at lower speeds. On to the next mystery!
Might be lower control arm bushings?

Old 01-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The rattle is likely the brake pads. If they have been changed from OEM, the pad anti rattel springs may not be functional. Common cause of rattles.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately, the front driver’s side bag is now leaking. I can hear the air escaping when I shut the car off. Looks like I will be placing another order with arnott. I'm guessing the cold weather has exacerbated the condition. I am now getting the “car too low” and “air suspension fault” messages. Hoping changing out the drivers side will be the end of my front end rattle issues. Here are some pics of the car for those who have asked.

Attached Thumbnails "Cats System Fault" after Arrnott Suspension replacement-img_0732.jpg   "Cats System Fault" after Arrnott Suspension replacement-img_0728.jpg   "Cats System Fault" after Arrnott Suspension replacement-img_0737.jpg  
Old 01-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Attempt to locate the leak, if you are lucky, it might be an easy repair as this:

Attached Thumbnails "Cats System Fault" after Arrnott Suspension replacement-left-front-air-line-fitting.jpg  
Old 01-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You do know, now Arnott has a coilover conversion kit. I'm purchasing it in two days. Ridding the vehicle of the whole air suspension.

The following users liked this post:
arnottdoug (04-03-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Also CATS System Fault after Arnott Air Replacement

I've just had my air suspension replaced with the Arnott air struts and am also now receiving the CATS system fault error. My car rides like a truck.

Several weeks after the replacement (everything was fine), I started receiving the faults intermittently, where my ride would snap into place and be smooth. Now the fault is on at start-up and 100% of the time.

I've reviewed the strut tower connectors which seem to be connected properly, and checked the trunk for any signs of damage, and even checked all air suspension relays/fuses while I was in there. Everything seems fine.

I understand that the system may have to be reset? Could the mechanic missed something or is there a way to either disable CATS (would that improve my ride?). Any help on the matter would be great, and I thought I'd post here since it seemed pertinent. Also any recommendation on a mechanic in Central Ohio who may be able to repair without dealer intervention? (or a dealer recommendation would work too, I suppose). Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

It sounds like a loose connection on the top of one of the shocks. The Jaguar system is made up of two systems. The air suspension and the CATS. The CATS is the electronic dampening. You might also try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. That will erase any codes stored in the system. You may also wish to call Arnott's tech support line at 800-251-8993 Monday - Friday 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM ET. Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Save 10% on Jaguar Air Suspension Products

You can save 10% off Jaguar Air Suspension Parts by entering code "JagForum" when purchasing off of Arnott's website. (* Offer good until July 1, 2012 with a limit of $75 in savings)

New Coil Spring Conversion Kit for 2004-2010 XJ Series XJ Series

Last edited by arnottdoug; 04-03-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Don't forget the air suspension system regularly exhausts some air through the compressor to blow out the water in the water trap. As the compressor is situated behind the front bumper LH side, it can seem as if the adjacent air spring only 6" away is leaking.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Arnott AS 2519 are only for COMFORT suspension??

I need to replace the front shocks on my 2008 Super V8 and was looking at the new Arnott's AS-2519. However after speaking to the tech (who got confirmation from someone else on this too) at Arnott, even though the description says the shocks fits cars with comfort and sport suspension, THESE new shocks make the ride a comfort suspension...ie. they fit but will not give you a sport suspension?
Doug, can you please confirm, since if this is the case, the description is rather misleading.

Quick Reply: "Cats System Fault" after Arrnott Suspension replacement