XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Door mirror dip feature

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Door mirror dip feature

I have 2004 x350 and when I got the car, the th door mirror dipped when the trans was in reverse.. The car sat unused for months, so I removed the battery and recharged it fully.. I notice that the mirror no longer dips... Is this a dealer re set, or can I re activate the feature myself?? Thanks. Brandon

Last edited by Reggie's Dad; 02-04-2016 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Error in spelling
Old 02-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie's Dad
I have 2004 x350 and when I got the car, the th door mirror dipped when the trans was in reverse.. The car sat unused for months, so I removed the battery and recharged it fully.. I notice that the mirror no longer dips... Is this a dealer re set, or can I re activate the feature myself?? Thanks. Brandon
The IDS/SDD software/setup (do a quick search if you do not know what this is in this forum) allows you to turn this feature on or off. Evidently it needs to be reprogrammed in your case to turn it on.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

Funny thing happened one day. My mirror started to dip in reverse. It didnt dip for about 5 months after I purchased it. I thought it was turned off by the previous owner, but bam it started dipping one day. Has worked ever since (knock on dash) I believe that the motor was crudded up as noted on the forum. I back out every day, and the sun beats on that side of the car in the drive. I must have loosened the crud. I do miss the option of choosing when it dips like my previous Jags, but am happy I dont have to mess with the potentiometers or position sensors. Maybe dodged a bullet.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
Funny thing happened one day. My mirror started to dip in reverse. It didnt dip for about 5 months after I purchased it. I thought it was turned off by the previous owner, but bam it started dipping one day. Has worked ever since (knock on dash) I believe that the motor was crudded up as noted on the forum. I back out every day, and the sun beats on that side of the car in the drive. I must have loosened the crud. I do miss the option of choosing when it dips like my previous Jags, but am happy I dont have to mess with the potentiometers or position sensors. Maybe dodged a bullet.
I will give the mirror a good slap when in reverse next time. If it doesn't fix it, it's not worth playing with the programming over it...

Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cleaning and lube of mirror motor gears may do the trick, It did on mine.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:17 AM
Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

Had my car a year mirror dipping never worked in reverse although worked when I adjusted it from the door switch got a icarsoft 930 come back with a code and explanation of potentiometer fault I hate having anything wrong so bought two new motors then the next time I put it in reverse the n/s mirror dipped also the memory switch now works , parts for these cars are not too dear over here in the uk .
Not too sure I like the option of dipping in reverse but will give it time can always take it off

Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Its funny, I like this feature sometimes but after it apparently not working on the 05 I used to own I thought it was an option on my 06 and could be turned on and off like on my Range Rover, it can't ..... and now I actually don't like it. Im a mirror guy when backing up so not having that one show me line of site down the side bugs the crap outta me. Not selling the car because of it though, LMAO.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this one of the first features owners generally disable when they purchase dealer level reprogramming software? Seems like a fair amount of people don't like the feature.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

On my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L, the passenger side view mirror dips a bit after a day or two of driving. I then have to raise it up by depressing the driver's side mirror 'up' button, and then it's Ok for another day or two. What's the answer?

Old 02-06-2016, 05:00 AM

Hi rickkk it probably the potentiometer in the mirror motor if you code read it first this will tell you if it's faulty , if it is then just replace the motor or you could try swooping the mirror motor from the other side it maybe the other motor is ok you will find your memory will not work if the potentiometer is faulty easy job to replace the motor they cost £53 in the uk

Old 02-06-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickkk
On my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L, the passenger side view mirror dips a bit after a day or two of driving. I then have to raise it up by depressing the driver's side mirror 'up' button, and then it's Ok for another day or two. What's the answer?
My reverse mirrors work fine however each time they return to the "normal" position the mirror is ever so slightly higher than "normal". It takes about 15 cycles till it is too high and i manually adjust.

Not a real bother as it done it on both sides from new.

Cheers
34by151

Old 02-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by clifton94
Hi rickkk it probably the potentiometer in the mirror motor if you code read it first this will tell you if it's faulty , if it is then just replace the motor or you could try swooping the mirror motor from the other side it maybe the other motor is ok you will find your memory will not work if the potentiometer is faulty easy job to replace the motor they cost £53 in the uk
I got a code B2319 - "Passenger mirror verticle feedback potentiometer low". Would that inhibit the dipping? I don't really want them to dip but I am just curious.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:23 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

The dipping feature on my 05 XJ8L does not work, but on the 05 XK8, the right side dip will work when I place the car in reverse---but only when I leave the right or left mirror switch in one of the positions. When I put the car in drive, the mirror returns to the normal position, without any action on my part. I guess this is normal, but why doesn't the XJ8L work?

Cheers

Old 02-07-2016, 06:55 AM

Hi Phil that's the the problem I had with mine same code that will effect memory and reverse dip changed the motors and auto dipped worked not so sure I like the auto dip time will tell can always have it taken off

Old 02-07-2016, 03:24 PM

I didn't get any code popping up. Well, I just checked it out a few minutes ago, and it seems that if I leave the side view mirror selector switch onto the driver's side position, the passenger side view mirror will not move at all (which is perfectly fine to me). Time will tell though.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:17 AM

Well, I've found that when I leave the side view mirror selector switch onto the driver's side position, the passenger side view mirror will stay in position around 75% of the time. Perhaps I may pick up a mirror motor for the passenger side sometime in the Spring.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:17 PM

Well, I was in the process of accessing the motor to the passenger side view mirror today, but was unsure as to how the mirror glass was supposed to be removed. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

The circuit board on the potentiometers behind the glass in the mirror suffers from corrosion/bad connection. SDD can detect this fault and is generally the vertical potentiometer. There are people who have repaired this with removal and resoldering the wires to the circuit board.

Rickkk (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickkk
Well, I was in the process of accessing the motor to the passenger side view mirror today, but was unsure as to how the mirror glass was supposed to be removed. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rick, tilt the mirror inwards, and pull the inward side outwards sideways strait out. Then disconnect the leads from the mirror.

Rickkk (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 PM

I never received any fault, but sometimes when the mirror dips while backing up, it doesn't return to the original position. Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a shot.

Last edited by Rickkk; 07-29-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Door mirror dip feature