XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Fails Smog (OBD not communicating)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Got a Jaguar Jones
Hi XJPurr- Have you cleared your smog test? I have a similar problem with my '04 VDP. Had a P0174 code that was repaired/cleared with a new motor mount. After erasing all codes and driving about 200 miles, all readiness codes were OK'd EXCEPT the comp com readiness. I have driven about another 1200 miles and still not cleared. The Jaguar drive cycle says, "To avoid unnecessary complexity, a single comprehensive engine management drive cycle has not been developed for XJ range. Refer to the individual DTC for specific drive cycle/monitoring conditions". WTH. I don't have any DTC's (now).
Anybody have any suggestions?
The car has about 125,000 mi. on it, and has always passed smog easily. Every (2) smog station says "drive it". What criteria will clear the final "code"?
Thanks
Something's upset but unless you have a pending code then not upset enough to flag codes OR in Catch-22 where it would flag if no-one had cleared the codes. (It can be that with set monitors it would flag but can't set due to the issue.)

Sometimes peering at live data / checking pending codes / looking at what recent codes (or work done) provides clues.

Bear in mind smog places do not know very much about your car so drive it is their uninformed guess.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After further searching, I found a thread that states the transmission has a hand in the drive cycle. I'll carry out that procedure and see what happens.
Glad you finally got your smog done.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Got a Jaguar Jones
After further searching, I found a thread that states the transmission has a hand in the drive cycle. I'll carry out that procedure and see what happens.
Glad you finally got your smog done.
My code reader shows "Comprehensive Component" set at less than ten miles.

If your Comp Com is not setting after 1200 miles it could be one of the computers on your car is detecting a malfunction but is not setting a code, which would mean some serious troubleshooting is needed and that is best done at a Jag dealer such as Galpin or Cerritos Jag.