XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

flickering lights when the car is turned off

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flickering lights when the car is turned off

been tryin’ my best to find someone else with a similar problem, but no dice

so i’ve got a 2004 X350 VDP Jaguar with electrical issues - no surprise.
so the sidelamp/headlamp indicator light on the dashboard occasionally flickers rapidly, on and off, accompanied by the exterior sidelights and headlights doing the same all while the car is turned off, the indicator stalk is in the off position, and the key is removed from the ignition. if the door is open when this occurs, it’s also followed by a “lights are on” chiming sound.

replaced the battery and the indicator stalk and thought it was fixed, so took it for a test drive. everything was working hunky dory until the test drive was over. parked the car, turned it off, and heard the chime as i exited the car.

any ideas?

Old 07-08-2016, 11:03 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by pinetree
been tryin’ my best to find someone else with a similar problem, but no dice

so i’ve got a 2004 X350 VDP Jaguar with electrical issues - no surprise.
so the sidelamp/headlamp indicator light on the dashboard occasionally flickers rapidly, on and off, accompanied by the exterior sidelights and headlights doing the same all while the car is turned off, the indicator stalk is in the off position, and the key is removed from the ignition. if the door is open when this occurs, it’s also followed by a “lights are on” chiming sound.

replaced the battery and the indicator stalk and thought it was fixed, so took it for a test drive. everything was working hunky dory until the test drive was over. parked the car, turned it off, and heard the chime as i exited the car.

any ideas?
Check the ground studs behind the headlights.

Be very careful, these studs are prone to breakage. You might find the one grounds may be loose or actually partially broken.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi pinetree,

I haven't had that problem, but in taking a quick glance at the schematic, all those circuits pass through the Front Electronic Module (FEM) which is located at the left-hand A pillar, and the Front Power Distribution Fuse Box located in the front right corner of the engine compartment. You might check the schematic for clues as to whether a sticking relay or such might cause your symptoms.

You can download the 2005 Electrical Guide here, courtesy of forum member Gus:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

If your headlamps weren't involved, I might suspect the Hazard lights switch in the center console. But off the top of my head I don't think the headlights flash when the Hazard switch is engaged.

Hopefully others will have additional ideas.

Cheers,

Don

Old 07-08-2016, 11:34 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Just a follow-up to abonano's advice, the torque specification on the ground nuts is just 6.5 ft. lbs., or just a little more than hand tight. More than one member has snapped the threaded stud right off the body by overtightening the nut.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Pinetree
I have exactly the same issue with my 2004 XJ6. My lights flicker whenever they feel like it but only when the switch is in the Auto position. They especially like to do it as BMWs pass me or at crossroads when other drivers take it as an invitation to pull out.
I checked and cleaned the earth studs behind the headlights and the front fuse box connections. My next port of call was to be the FEM but it hasn't misbehaved for a while now and I'm trying to gather as much info and clues before doing anything else. Interestingly the last time she had an episode I was parked on a steep ramp with the cars nose higher than the tail. I was walking away from the car and the lights went into a real tantrum like a spoiled child demanding attention. Switching to the off position stopped the flickering but switching back to auto failed to re-create the condition?
I'm sure my cat is sniggering on the drive right now and planning her next prank.
Good luck
Pete

Old 07-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input guys! haven’t yet been able to poke around with the studs or electrical guides, but experienced either some new symptoms or symptoms i was so far unaware of.

like PD was sayin, i noticed the lights start to flicker when the nose was pointing up - though this time the car was in motion (and the indicator still in the off position). what was really interesting though was pulling off the freeway and going down a fairly steep offramp; the lights came on and stayed on. this also activated the automatic dimming of the touch screen in the center console. the lights didn’t turn off until the car was on flat ground again (and of course normally when this occurs, the car is on flat ground & often parked).

Old 03-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Finally got round to delving a bit deeper. Members on this forum and others suggested that the fault could lie in the indicator and lighting stalk so that seemed to be a good place to start. After a weekend of light flashing and flickering I got round to removing the switch this morning. First job was to try an Ebay sourced replacement but that proved to be 20 quid wasted as it has other faults. At least I got to use it as practice for stripping the original one down.

The two screws that keep the lower cowl in place are easy to see.

the three screws that retain the upper cowl can now be accessed. A mirror helps to locate them.

Two clips hold the switch in place, and of course the wiring connector.

8 clips around the switch all need to be held down at once. A selection of small screwdrivers and several hand helps.

Bingo. Frayed wires touching together. An inexpensive and easy repair for a change.

Let's hope it works. Time will tell.

Last edited by PDMiller; 03-20-2017 at 01:58 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by PDMiller:
clifton94 (03-26-2017), dwdooley (09-22-2021), jackra_1 (03-26-2017), NDW (03-26-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PINETREE...Ever get yours sorted out ?? (DON B. ??)

PD.. Grrr888 Pics & description btw.! You're not alone guys.. My '05 would occasionally do the same. But, before I could even get in to the diagnosis..
It seems to have stopped on its own.. ha I occasionally get the Day/Nite dimmer switching On/Off on its own.. usually only during the day tho'..

I'm sure it will return one day.. SO saving these posts!

DON B. Question for ya.. I noticed you provided the Torque specs in prev. post. Would you know where I can download ALL torque specs for the X350's ? Or specifically.. my '05 VDP ? Continuing with suspension work..and know I will need..

Thank you Sir

Geo G

Old 03-21-2017, 06:04 AM
NDW
Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I had the same issue on my 05 XJ8L two years ago. I replaced the indicator stalk and problem was solved.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Great and timely write-up PDMiller. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with the 8 tabs to remove the stalk cover, and getting the 5 column cover screws back in their respective holes. From start to finish, I was done in about 30 minutes.

In my case, the blue wire was completely broken. All other wires appeared fine. Soldered the broken wire back together and covered with a short piece of heat shrink, and all was good. With the blue wire broken, my headlights were permanently on (rotary headlight switch did nothing) and the trip computer button on the end of the stalk did nothing.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by rhankey
Great and timely write-up PDMiller. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with the 8 tabs to remove the stalk cover, and getting the 5 column cover screws back in their respective holes. From start to finish, I was done in about 30 minutes.

In my case, the blue wire was completely broken. All other wires appeared fine. Soldered the broken wire back together and covered with a short piece of heat shrink, and all was good. With the blue wire broken, my headlights were permanently on (rotary headlight switch did nothing) and the trip computer button on the end of the stalk did nothing.
Clearly Charlie Allthumbs got a job on the production line at Jaguar sometime !

Old 03-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Clearly Charlie Allthumbs got a job on the production line at Jaguar sometime !

You gotta wonder. I remain at bit of a loss how the wire in my turn lever stalk broke cleanly, and likewise PDMiller's wires which looked like they got pinched. I gather turn lever stalks are a common weak point in our cars. These wires do flex a tiny bit when operating the stalk, and are routed through a rather confined space. But there was nothing I could see that could justify these failures.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Intended minor defects, to bring it back to the service dept after the warranty expires.
Better yet, customer sees, & buys another, while his is being serviced.