XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Fuel pump not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fuel pump not engaging

How do i test to see why the fuel pump in my 96 xj6 is not coming on..?
Which color wire powers the pump..?
Which relay is for the fuel pump itself..?

Old 01-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by goodgame
How do i test to see why the fuel pump in my 96 xj6 is not coming on..?
Which color wire powers the pump..?
Which relay is for the fuel pump itself..?
Hi goodgame,

You can download the 1996 Electrical Guide for your car at the link below, courtesy of our forum member Gus and his jagrepair.com website:

1996 XJ Electrical Guide

You can start by listening carefully for the fuel pump priming burst when you turn the key to Position II (ON). If the pump runs but you have no fuel delivery to the engine, it is possible that the outlet hose has blown off of the pump.

If you have no sound from the pump, you can check for 12V at the fuel pump connector that connects to the evaporative flange on the top of the fuel tank. With the key in Position II (ON) but the engine not running, there should be 12V on the terminal for the Red wire with Yellow tracer line. There should also be continuity to ground from the terminal for the Black wire at the connector to any good body ground point.

If you have 12V and good ground, suspect the pump itself or the electrical connection between the evaporative flange and the pump.

If you do not have 12V, check for power at the fuel pump relay, which is in the trunk relay/fuse box:

With the key in Position II, there should be battery power on terminal 30 of the relay socket, which comes from Fuse 7 (30A) in the trunk fuse box, and you should have a 12V ignition-switched control signal on terminal 86, which comes from the Ignition Positive Relay in the left hand heel-board fuse box below the rear seat.

If you have power, try swapping in one of the other similar relays for the fuel pump relay to see if the fuel pump will run. If you don't have battery power or relay control signal power, look at Fuse 7 and the Ignition Positive Relay, then work your way further upstream until you find the problem.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
goodgame (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 08:50 PM

Thanks @Don B ... I will go over all you have listed tomorrow after work.
I did check for power at the red wire with yellow stripe the other day. I clipped the tester end to that wire and touched the other end to the negative terminal of the batt and got nothing. When I touched the positive post of the battery it showed current. That I don't understand because I thought by the red/yellow wire being positive it would only show current if I grounded it to something. Why would it show current with one end on the positive post of the batt and the other connected to the red/yellow wire..?

Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 PM

Thanks @Don B ... I will go over all you have listed tomorrow after work.
I did check for power at the red wire with yellow stripe the other day. I clipped the tester end to that wire and touched the other end to the negative terminal of the batt and got nothing. When I touched the positive post of the battery it showed current. That I don't understand because I thought by the red/yellow wire being positive it would only show current if I grounded it to something. Why would it show current with one end on the positive post of the batt and the other connected to the red/yellow wire..?
Hi goodgame,

I can't review the schematic right now, but you really, really do not ever want to connect the positive battery terminal to anything else without being absolutely certain of what you are doing. Even through the resistance of the test lamp bulb, battery current applied in the wrong direction or to the wrong wire can ruin something sensitive and expensive like the Engine Control Module.

Please keep us informed after you've reviewed the schematic and made the tests I suggested.

By the way, I just realized you posted in the forum for the X350 so I'm going to move this thread to the forum for the X300, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your '96 XJ6.

Cheers,

Don

goodgame (01-20-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Ok I'll be sure to never do that again

Old 01-17-2017, 12:35 PM

@Don B thanks again.. I did get to test the pump properly this time and it seems that it is dead after all. So today my plan is to change it out and hopefully that should get me running by the end of this afternoon.. Any advice on the the best or only way at removing/installing the fuel pump.. (First time with this model)

Don B (01-17-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:12 PM

@Don B thanks again.. I did get to test the pump properly this time and it seems that it is dead after all. So today my plan is to change it out and hopefully that should get me running by the end of this afternoon.. Any advice on the the best or only way at removing/installing the fuel pump.. (First time with this model)
Hi goodgame,

The fuel pump is inside the fuel tank in the trunk/boot on a shelf behind the rear seat. The standard Workshop Manual method of replacement is to siphon out as much fuel as possible, disconnect the fuel lines on the underside of the tank (can be difficult), disconnect the fuel filler neck from the body, remove the trim panel that covers the tank, undo the bolts on the metal straps that secure the tank, and maybe remove or disconnect some other things I've forgotten, disconnect the electrical connectors at the top of the fuel tank and for the fuel level sender, pull the tank rearward into the trunk, and that will give you access to remove the evaporative flange and reach down into the tank to retrieve the old pump and install the new one.

Another method is to cut through the sheetmetal in the parcel shelf above the rear seats.

There are plenty of threads on this topic. Search this forum for instructions for the various methods.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-22-2017 at 11:04 PM.
aholbro1 (01-23-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Hi Goodgame,

Don is correct on all those steps, but it isn't nearly as arduous as it sounds:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...quired-163902/

Don B (01-22-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi goodgame,

The fuel pump is inside the fuel tank in the trunk/boot on a shelf behind the rear seat. The standard Workshop Manual method of replacement is to siphon out as much fuel as possible, disconnect the fuel lines on the underside of the tank (can be difficult), disconnect the fuel filler neck from the body, remove the trim panel that covers the tank, undo the bolts on the metal straps that secure the tank, and maybe remove or disconnect some other things I've forgotten, disconnect the electrical connectors at the top of the fuel tank and for the fuel level sender, pull the tank rearward into the trunk, and that will give you access to remove the evaporative flange and reach down into the tank to retrieve the old pump and install the new one.

Another method is to cut through the sheetmetal in the parcel shelf above the rear seats.

There are plenty of threads on this topic. Search this forum for instructions for the various methods.

Cheers,

Don
thanx for the info @Don B .. I installed the fuel pump the other day and the car is back running again..

The following 2 users liked this post by goodgame:
Don B (01-23-2017), RJ237 (01-23-2017)