XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

fuse box diagrams for 2006 SV8?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default fuse box diagrams for 2006 SV8?

I searched through the 2006 My XJ Electrical Guide to try to determine the functions of the relays in my 2006 SV8 front power distribution fuse box and eventually found listings that said:
R1 is air suspension relay,
R2 is main beam relay,
R3 is left hand windshield heater relay,
R4 is wiper on/off relay,
R5 is the EMS control relay for diesel engines.

I was looking this up because my R1 relay had no cover and because I occasionally get an air suspension fault I wanted to be sure the air suspension had a good relay. Also there was no relay in R3.

So, I put the relay with no cover in R3 and put the relay from R5 into R1 leaving R5 open.

I just finished replacing the sway bar bushings and needed to take a test drive, but when I locked the car with the fob last evening it beeped and flashed which I don't remember it doing before, so I was concerned about the relay switching I'd done. It started as normal just now and had a momentary "vehicle too low" warning that went away when I backed out of the drive. Everything else seemed normal including the non-functioning horns (and unfortunately I still have a suspension clunk on bumps).

Can anyone point me to a relay diagram that lists the type and function of each relay and fuse in the several power distribution boxes? Can anyone confirn that R5 is not needed for a gasoline engine in the front box?

Old 10-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Phil,

Unfortunately, I don't know of a document that has all of the information you want in one section.

For the fuse and relay location, you've already found the diagrams in the 2006 XJ Electrical Guide pdf file (page 17 of the manual, page 21 of the pdf file).

The descriptions of what each fuse is for are on the individual pages of the Electrical Guide, but more concise lists are in the Owner's Manual. If you don't have one for your car, see the attached section from the 2006 XJ Owner's Manual, which I downloaded from Jaguar TOPIx website. Lots of documents are available there for free, but you have to register to access some or most of them (it's free). You can download the pdf files, but many of the manuals are set up in chapters or sections, so you have to download them one piece at a time:

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...9&groupId=1655

As far as I know, the only way to determine the type and function of each relay is to search for it in the Electrical Guide using the Acrobat Reader search function (hold the Ctrl or Cmd key and press F). You'll have to wade through a lot of connector names and other numbers until you find the relay, but once you find diagrams on which it appears, you'll be able to see how the relay is wired, where it gets its power and control signal, and what it operates when it connects.

Cheers,

Don

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X350 Fuses 2006.pdf (409.9 KB, 1061 views)

Last edited by Don B; 10-11-2015 at 11:46 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (10-16-2015), paydase (10-12-2015), philwarner (10-11-2015), Sean W (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Phil,

Unfortunately, I don't know of a document that has all of the information you want in one section.

For the fuse and relay location, you've already found the diagrams in the 2006 XJ Electrical Guide pdf file (page 17 of the manual, page 21 of the pdf file).

The descriptions of what each fuse is for are on the individual pages of the Electrical Guide, but more concise lists are in the Owner's Manual. If you don't have one for your car, see the attached section from the 2006 XJ Owner's Manual, which I downloaded from Jaguar TOPIx website. Lots of documents are available there for free, but you have to register to access some or most of them (it's free). You can download the pdf files, but many of the manuals are set up in chapters or sections, so you have to download them one piece at a time:

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...9&groupId=1655

As far as I know, the only way to determine the type and function of each relay is to search for it in the Electrical Guide using the Acrobat Reader search function (hold the Ctrl or Cmd key and press F). You'll have to wade through a lot of connector names and other numbers until you find the relay, but once you find diagrams on which it appears, you'll be able to see how the relay is wired, where it gets its power and control signal, and what it operates when it connects.

Cheers,

Don
Thanks for that pdf, Don, I'll check out the topix site too.

Yes, the pdf search function is not very sophisticated; a search for R1 gets you every string that contains R1. I tried putting a space before and after R1 but still got every string that contained it.

One confusing thing in the electrical guide is that the R1 air suspension relay is shown in the wiring diagram on pg 89 as a switched relay with nothing on the normally closed contact, but the R1 socket in the front distribution box on my SV8 has only four contacts and has a normally open relay in it now. The number on the relay in it now is 05155 2b (came out of the R5 location) and the relay that was in R1 had no cover on it so I don't know if it is the same number but it to had only four spades.

Does the original XJ owner's manual have any more relay info than the fuses pdf file? It would have been nice to have a diagram in each cover instead of the little "read the book" icon.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Every find a Relay Diagram?
I've seen a list somewhere that someone on this forum typed up, but I don't think it was complete and it did not distinguish between "Switched" or "Open".

Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by tomfurie
Every find a Relay Diagram?
I've seen a list somewhere that someone on this forum typed up, but I don't think it was complete and it did not distinguish between "Switched" or "Open".
That's been awhile ago! I put what I found in a word doc so I could print out relay positions for the front distribution box. I'll try to attach it here along with a front and rear relay function list in jpg format. Hope it helps.

Attached Thumbnails fuse box diagrams for 2006 SV8?-relay-id.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Engine Fuse Box.doc (341.0 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by philwarner; 07-04-2017 at 08:53 AM.