XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

iPod Connection 2004 Standard Audio

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Connection 2004 Standard Audio

I've combed these forums looking for the ultimate solution to provide iPod capability in my '04 XJ8, but I'm not finding anything other than FM transmitters which frankly are not of sufficient quality to consider.

I do see crutchfield has a unit for $140 but nobody has shared experience and it's a Ford install kit which they disclaim by saying that it hasn't been fully tested.

On a separate topic, I've found that my new pre-owned Jag seems to provide scratching and annoying skipping on the CD player. The only CD I've tried is one that I've burned on my Mac. I haven't tried a standard released CD. However, I recall on my former 2000 S-Type that it played my computer burned CDs flawlessly - but this was through a six-disc trunk located multi-CD player.

Anyone have any ideas, experiences or information they care to share on these topics?

Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts
Default RE: iPod Connection 2004 Standard Audio

Worldrider, I have noticed some high pitched noise on my computer burned cds but no skipping from my trunk mounted unit. I don't hear that on factory cds. Haven't used the dash player more than twice so can't say on that one.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:59 PM

okay. thanks... I'll keep testing this and report back what I learn!

Old 12-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I too am interested in this as I am looking at an 04/05/06 xj8. I have a BMW 328is right now that I replaced the factory stereo with an Alpine that was designed for the ipod. (it doesn't even have a cd player in it).
Seems that the Jag factory stereo is an odd size that no one makes a replacement for.
The feedback I've heard re the ACM is it relies on playlists and does not display song/artist names, etc.
I've used the fm converter for the ipod before and it sucked. If you do any kind of long distance driving the stations on the bottom of the fm bandwidth constantly keep stepping on the station you use for the ipod (really bad in the south with all the 500 watt christian radio stations at the lower end of the dial)
I'm also trying to come up with a bluetooth solution in the event that the car I find doesn't have bt.
Wish I could've been more help.
Please post what you find out and I'll do same.
Chad

Old 12-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Chad - keep your eyes on this thread as anything I find I'll post here.

Regarding BlueTooth, I did learn that there was an option for the 04 and it can be retrofitted but for quite a cost that I'm confident isn't prudent. But if you're just looking for a speaker phone car integration with voice activation and sync with your phone's phonebook, then look at the BlueAnt:
here at NewEgg - the owner of one of the Jags I looked at had this on his visor and demonstrated it. I understand it will sync to my iPhone and most anything else with BlueTooth. Even better, it's only about $70 and mostly unobtrusive sitting on your sun visor...

But that iPod thing I'm curious about... as for the ACM... I don't know much about it.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:13 PM

That's pretty cool! and I like the price.
I really am going to miss the in dash alpine.
It mimics the ipod click wheel and even displays the album artwork.
I was at a dealers on Sat. and the sales guy had not heard of the ACM. (or did and it was bad)
Once you have ipod it's tough to go back to discs. My ipod is the size of a pack of cigarettes and has over 400 albums on it. Never without my entire music collection.
I've seen some aftermarket gps units with bluetooth in the event that I find a car without nav. Also may not be bad to buy without nav as the system is already dated from what I hear (cd roms in the trunk).

Old 12-07-2008, 05:22 PM

I've seen some aftermarket gps units with bluetooth in the event that I find a car without nav. Also may not be bad to buy without nav as the system is already dated from what I hear (cd roms in the trunk).
chad that's exactly what I figured. I was at first hell bent on finding a car with NAV but reeled in after rationilzing the increase in technology, LCD screens and the like.

But let me know what you learn on GPS... Frankly, the ideal solution would be to somehow use an external antenna that can be mounted unobtrusively if not stock-like, or just something that eliminates a lot of wires hanging around...?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM

Also........... thinking about all those systems tied into a multi function display.
I'd hate to be lost without any air conditioning and no music to listen to.
could use portable gps in other vehicles too.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:32 PM

just found this:
http://www.eiskits.com/jagphotos.html

Old 12-08-2008, 07:57 PM

that looks real interesting... but i'm guessing the audio through a mini-plug aux input won't have the integration with the audio system nor the steering wheel controls...?

but i like it

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Well, I put a home brewCD in the in dash player today, it played through twice then began skipping so badly I turned it off. I'll try a commercial cut tomorrow. Still no skipping on the disc changer.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: JackJohn

Well, I put a home brew CD in the in dash player today, it played through twice then began skipping so badly I turned it off. I'll try a commercial cut tomorrow. Still no skipping on the disc changer.
thanks JJ-

What I've learned is that the home brew CD burned on a MacBook Pro and using a Memorex Virgin CD is that the in-dash Jag CD player seems to do well for the first 13 or 14 tracks. Tracks 13+ all start skipping or more like "scratching" when played. The earlier tracks seem okay though I should run it through several times to see if tracks 1-12 play okay after a couple times.

Been playing commercial CDs last couple days and so far no problem. But unlike my CDs where I'm trying to get the longest play, the commercial CDs have 11 or 12 tracks... still testing.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:26 PM

While checking my DSC fault at the Jag dealer today I asked about iPod integration. They quoted me about $750 to install the Jag factory iPod integration ACM ($430 parts; $320 labor). Service writer explained that they bring a 3rd party "security installer" company to do the install because their techs don't like to do it since it's such a tough job.

Maybe I need to find that ACM somewhere cheaper and get the name of their installer... have to figure out how to do that ...?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by worldrider
While checking my DSC fault at the Jag dealer today I asked about iPod integration. They quoted me about $750 to install the Jag factory iPod integration ACM ($430 parts; $320 labor). Service writer explained that they bring a 3rd party "security installer" company to do the install because their techs don't like to do it since it's such a tough job.

Maybe I need to find that ACM somewhere cheaper and get the name of their installer... have to figure out how to do that ...?
I installed the ACM in my 04' XJ8 and it took about an hour and a half, although I am fairly handy when it comes to taking things apart and am very electronic savvy it was a relatively easy thing to do it as long as you have some basic tools, and understand male/female electrical connections.

I am about to install one in my 06' XJR I just got, so I may take some pics along the way.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worldrider, I am also looking at the ACM for my XJ and visited the local dealer today. I saw the actual printout on the specs and cost. Dealer cost is $207 with a retail of $278 I believe. Jag posted 1.0 hours to install it. Hope that helps.

Tony

97 XK8
05 XJ8L

Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

I just requested a quote from a local dealer and was told $325 for parts and $355 for labor!