XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I like coffee, but.....!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts
Default I like coffee, but.....!!

Well, my XJ6 is now getting close to 98k miles, so I considered whether I might change the car to something newer....

So today on Autotrader I found a 2007 X350 XJ6 3 litre Sovereign (petrol) on 44k miles and FSH near me at a price I could afford, so decided to take a look. The car was in Silver and a very close examination showed literally NO crevice (or filiform) corrosion, it really was virtually perfect ! So 10/10 there ! Wheels all in good order with no kerbing, and plenty of tread on the tyres, although front pair were Barums, which I know nothing about.

OK so now it was time to look at the interior......

This again was in almost perfect even mint condition. I could not fault it in any way, but everything was in a coffee colour. I sat there in the driver seat and thought "can I get used to this ". It had walnut veneer that was so blingy I was really put off, but it was the overall coffee colour that decided me to maybe carry on with my current car for a bit longer. This is Jaguar Racing Green with Ivory leather and charcoal/ivory trim and grey-stained Birds Eye Maple veneer. When I got back in my car to drive off, I thought "Yes I really did make the right decision in 2010 !!".

Isn't it funny how colours and so on affect our judgments ? Am I stupid or something ?

Old 09-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Well, my XJ6 is now getting close to 98k miles, so I considered whether I might change the car to something newer....

So today on Autotrader I found a 2007 X350 XJ6 3 litre Sovereign (petrol) on 44k miles and FSH near me at a price I could afford, so decided to take a look. The car was in Silver and a very close examination showed literally NO crevice (or filiform) corrosion, it really was virtually perfect ! So 10/10 there ! Wheels all in good order with no kerbing, and plenty of tread on the tyres, although front pair were Barums, which I know nothing about.

OK so now it was time to look at the interior......

This again was in almost perfect even mint condition. I could not fault it in any way, but everything was in a coffee colour. I sat there in the driver seat and thought "can I get used to this ". It had walnut veneer that was so blingy I was really put off, but it was the overall coffee colour that decided me to maybe carry on with my current car for a bit longer. This is Jaguar Racing Green with Ivory leather and charcoal/ivory trim and grey-stained Birds Eye Maple veneer. When I got back in my car to drive off, I thought "Yes I really did make the right decision in 2010 !!".

Isn't it funny how colours and so on affect our judgments ? Am I stupid or something ?

Hey Fraser, I used to be an area sales manager, travelled around 50k - 70k every year for 20+ years and covered over 1M miles
Tyres for me were only ever Bridgestone, Continental or Pirelli

I have 20's on my car so we're talking around £1200 per set, there or thereabouts, so I decided to do some extensive research for the Jag and the A6 before that and came across Barums Bravuris3HM

they're made by Continental in the Czech Republic and are considered an upper mid range tyre. Noise levels are similar to Dunlop SPMaxx and grip, wear rate etc are excellent.

I've had 2 sets + on my A6 and tested them in the wet and the dry, throwing the into bends / roundabouts etc. They almost refused to let go, but when they eventually did, it was progressive and could be felt, not like the cheap Chinese ditchfinders
They're excellent value for money and I have them on my A6, The Jag, both X types, my other sons Vectra and my aunts Laguna.......well worth checking out

As for the colours, interior or exterior?
No its not strange or stupid, I totally get it!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-20-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 11:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Fraser,

i believe you need to be happy with your car. Regardless of the tech, spec's and other stuff we all write about on this forum, if you aren't happy behind the wheel of your car for whatever reason then it kind of defeats the purpose.

I found emotion was the biggest contributing factor to my car choices.

anyway, not stupid IMHO. Perhaps remorse prevention.