XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

key fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default key fob

Does anyone have a good source for a locksmith that can re-program a fob and cut a key blank in the NW suburbs of Chicago? Thanks in advance.
T

Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Received 252 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have two key fabs currently you can easily program another yourself if that is your situation. Check out my article by searching the thread "Jaguar Key Fob 2001 to 2009 Facts All You Need to Know FAQ".

I know that Lake Bluff Jaguar at 150 Skokie Hwy will cut a key blank for $5.00 if you have the key blank. Just show title as proof of ownership of the car.

LCMJAGUAR
2008 Jaguar VDP
1988 Jaguar XJ6

Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 AM

Thanks. I do not have any fobs other than the new one. Appreciate the help. I did read your thread and I thought it was well done.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by talashek
Thanks. I do not have any fobs other than the new one. Appreciate the help. I did read your thread and I thought it was well done.

Cannot say for sure this will work as I have never tried it but this was written on a folded sheet of paper in the hand book that came with my 2005 XJ8 VDP.

To program key fob.

A. Put key in ignition, leave ignition in offposition

B. Hold headlight flasher back and turn key to position one

C. Flash headlights 4 times and alarm will enter programming mode.You will hear 4 beeps of the alarm and a flashing LED on the gearshift.

D. Program each transmitter by pressing the lock or unlock button on each transmitter once. The alarm will honk when you press the transmitter button.

E. The alarm must honk 5 times to complete the programming for one transmitter therefore you must operate the transmitter 5 times.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:21 AM

Thanks peddlar BOB. I tried that already. I took it to dealer and they charged 145 to do it. They messed up my NAV and now screen does not work and keeps flashing. I took it back to dealer and they charged me another 135 to tell me I need a new NAV module. I will never go to a dealer again.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 252 Likes on 82 Posts

You can try your procedure but my understanding is that you need two working keys to be able to program another using that procedure. Since you don't have two working keys, I think you need a Dealer or someone to use their WDS/SDD software.

Upper portion of Key Fob Programming of transponder to the cars ignition to be able to start the car. Must have the two original keys. If one ismissing will have to reprogram all keys using Dealer WDS/SDD software.

• Insert the first valid key and turn to the run position (position II,not position III run engine) for a maximum of five seconds, then turn to off and remove the key.

• Within ten seconds of removing the first key, insert the second valid key and turn to the run position for a maximum of five seconds, then turn to off and remove the key.

• To program the third (additional/unrecognized) key, insert the new key andturn to the run position within twenty seconds of removing the second key, allow the in car PATS RED LED toprove out for three seconds to confirm storage of the additional key, the red security light will then go out, then turn the key to off and remove the key.

• This method can be used to store up to a maximum of 8 ignition keys.

Lower portion of Key Fob programming of the four button remote portion.

NOTE: When carrying out steps 4 to 6 below, all current transmitters will be erased from memory. Ensure all transmitters to be programmed are available before proceeding.

NOTE: If at any stage two chirps are emitted, then an error has occurred, ifthis is the case, the process has to be repeated from step 1. When carrying outsteps 1 to 7, ensure no other transmitters are operated within range of the system (which should not happen if you have all of the key fobs with you in the car and no one else is playing with them).
1. Open driver door (door must be open throughout the programming process).
2. Pull directional indicator stalk to headlight flash position and hold.
3. Insert ignition key and turn to auxiliary position (position I, first click), then release the directional indicator Stalk right away.
4. Within 4 seconds start to flash headlights five times by pulling/releasingthe stalk repeatedly; at the

fourth/fifth time you hear achirp from the sounder and the PATS Red LED security dome will flash once).

At this point all transmitters will be erased from the cars system.

The next step will program allof your push button remotes to your car.

5. NOTE: Up to five transmitters can be programmed. Now simply pushthe transmitter button (any

of the four buttons) on there mote that is in the ignition, and then within 5 seconds push any of the

four buttons on the next transmitter, etc. For each transmitter you do, it will be acknowledge by a chirp

from sounder, and the PATS LED will flash once (Do not repeat the complete sequence if you make

a mistake mid way as the firsttransmitter will be erased if you do).

6. Turn 'OFF' the ignition and remove the key, (acknowledge chirp from sounder,and the PATS LED will flash once).

7. Close driver door. Now check each transmitter’s functions on each of the four buttons on each of your Fobs.

All should be working just fine. If not try again from step 1. It may take two try’s to get it correct as the procedure is all about the speed, timing and doing it smoothly.

The PATS LED is the security dome in the middle of the dash, rightup near the front window. If you make amistake during the process, simply start all over from the beginning.

If your car has all audible alarms disabled (as mine does) you won't get the chirps, you just have to follow the LED flashing. You must flash quickly, then hit a button onone remote, then the other, then turn off the key. I would say it should take 5 seconds or less after releasing the stalk.

LCMJAGUAR
2008 XJ8 VDP
1988 XJ6

Last edited by lcmjaguar; 03-09-2013 at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jjd247247 (02-15-2015)