XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Leak in the boot X350

Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,418 Likes on 1,933 Posts

It's odd, because I have never had a drop in my boot, except when I lift the lid with a load of water lying on it. Now I use a windscreen squeegy first !

Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha yeah I get that too! The design means that if it's rained (and it does that a lot here!) the rain sits on the boot then drips in when it's opened.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,002 Likes on 710 Posts

I don't understand. It leaks into your boot from the rear passenger door, 1/4 window?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

I think the leak is in the gutter around the window ie part of the roof.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:25 PM

I don't understand either mate, join the club!

Categorically, without a shadow of a doubt, the leak is starting from the rear window trim. I think the actual point of penetration into the bodywork, and therefore into allowing the water to find it's route to the boot, is by the trim that is in the door shut of the rear door. If you have an X350, open your rear door and half way down you will see a rubber bit of trim - i can only assume the leak is under there. I have pulled it all off and squirted in approximately 1/2 ton of silicone sealant and still the leak persists.

I am at my wit's end - and I'm heading to the US for 2 and a 1/2 weeks this Thursday so it will sit on my drive allowing lots of rain to drip into the boot.

I seriously might have someone weld up the rear door soon!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM

OK guys - it's been a long time and would you like to know how much progress I have made? Zip. Diddly squat. Zilch. Bugger all!

Nothing I try has any effect at all. I have tried sealing over a weld in the outer boot (where rain water naturally goes) as it looks like possibly water could get in, but that's made no odds. I have even sealed all round the window trim on the outside, with no difference. I sealed all underneath the trim with windscreen sealant (thanks Mr National Windscreen dude for giving me a pack of the sealant!).

I am at the end of my tether with this, I really really don't know what to do so I am looking for some "next step" advice. Who/what type of person/company can I turn to for help with this? Jaguar say they will systematically go round changing all nearby seals in the boot, doors and windows which will cost a fortune (I reckon 4 figures easy). Perhaps a local garage? Or a bodyshop maybe? My fear is though, is that they, along with me, will not be able to fathom the cause of the leak and therefore won't be able to help!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,418 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Very odd !! If you're in England, you could come over to my place and we'll jointly have a look. I have a hose on permanent standby. Location is near Crewe.

I assume no sunroof.

FFM

Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM

Odd is so not a strong enough word!! Very kind offer Mr Fraser dude but Crewe looks like a bit of a trek from Gatwick.

Correct, no sunroof, just a completely normal XJ, that looks totally ordinary, but for some reason can't stop sucking in rain

Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts
Default Leak in the boot X350

Our sympathies are with you Real.I hate water getting in a car.

Is it possible to route the water out of the boot as a temporary measure by funneling the water into a plastic tube and drilling a hole in the boot floor or somewhere suitable?

You never know, if you could make a good enough job of that it could be long term fix and maybe you could replace the boot liner?

My other point is maybe you have to remove the rear seat and start drilling holes (using a hole saw) into the inner body panels in the areas where you think the water might emanate from.

If you start drilling holes be very careful!!!!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM

Thanks Meirion, I am on the verge of having myself put in a padded room lol

Believe me I have contemplated creating an escape channel for the water. In essence just diverting the problem. It may well come to that but I am still going to try and find a decent solution to the actual cause.

I see your point on the rear seat, this may well be a good idea and I shall put that in my back pocket for an absolute last resort due to the workload involved.

Cheers though, appreciate your thoughts!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Received 252 Likes on 82 Posts

Here is a Jaguar TSB regarding potential water leak areas. Maybe this will help.

Lcmjaguar
2008 VDP
1988 XJ6

Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Received 252 Likes on 82 Posts

Here is a Jaguar TSB regarding potential water leak areas. Maybe this will help.

Lcmjaguar
2008 VDP
1988 XJ6

Attached Files
Old 03-10-2013, 04:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same problem.....

Hi

I see you live near Gatwick. I live 10 mins from there in Worth. I have the same problem with water ingress into my boot. Did you manage to fix the problem and would you mind letting me know what you did.

Thanks

Dave
Originally Posted by Rael
Hi there,

I've got an incredibly irritating leak on my 2006 XJ, and am really hoping someone can help me. I have posted this on the UK forum but thus far to no avail. All attempts have failed.

So...here is the story so far:

Discovered there was rain water in the boot floor - the floor carpet was soaking wet, the battery and air compressor were soaked and there was about a litre of water sat in the wheel well.

Dried it all out and started the painful process of trying to find out where it was coming from. Long story short, the leak is actually not the boot itself, but that is the lowest point where the water is ending up. It is coming from above the right hand side rear wheel arch! So, using a hosepipe I have fully tested the boot and it is completely water tight. When I pour the hosepipe over the rear window, that's when the leak starts. Further testing shows that if I concentrate the hose on where the window meets the door, no leaks occur. But, if the water is concentrated on the trim area that goes round the door, that is when it leaks. I have pulled the trim off to see if there is a huge hole behind it but there is nothing! So, what am I missing guys? How on earth is water penetrating the body of the car and leaking through and into the boot.

Any help appreciated, it's driving me absolutely crazy!!!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Fisher
Hi

I see you live near Gatwick. I live 10 mins from there in Worth. I have the same problem with water ingress into my boot. Did you manage to fix the problem and would you mind letting me know what you did.

Thanks

Dave
Dave I went through this whole frustrating process when I first got my car. Just as the original poster had done I used a water hose to soak everything trying to find how the water was getting into the trunk/boot area. No luck whatsoever.

Finally gave up and came close to drilling hole to be able to control the amount of water I was carting around. I then discovered my rear lights were loose. One was actually missing a bolt. So I tightened them up and found this totally stopped the ingress of water into the trunk/boot area.

Thankfully I had never got around to drilling the holes.

BTW I lived in Worthing, well Lancing actually just before I emmigrated over here to Canada.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

Thanks

Dave
Bob

I'll give it a go at the weekend....

Cheers

Dave

Old 03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Bob

I'll give it a go at the weekend....

Cheers

Dave
So how did you get on during the weekend Dave ?????????

Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 AM
Default Huge amount of water in boot

I have exactly the same issue, I just pulled out the spare wheel yesterday to find about 6 inches of water in the wheelwell, amazingly the car had still been driving and operating normally even though there was a significant amount of condensation on the battery cables and on all exposed metalwork. I haven't had the chance to investigate yet but I'm watching this page with anticipation.Rgds
Bob