XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New to Forum!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New to Forum!

Hi all, new to joining the forum though I've visited many a time due to the wealth of knowledge circulating around here! Not new to Jaguar and not new to the issues either!

There's one car in particular that I'm sure I'll be asking about a fair bit. I just picked up a 2007 XJ8L with water damage to the computer and fuse box. Car came with a brand new computer. The game plan is to replace engine wire harness and fuse box, along with computer, charge up the battery and see if it gets me anywhere. Does this sound like a logical method or would that potentially cause any issues with other electrics that may have shorted out when the ECU failed?

My other kitty is an '03 XJR that I bought down in the desert a couple years ago. This is the one where I've found a lot of useful info for on here! It's given me problems as well - blown differential, motor mounts, seized caliper, ABS module, the whole lot. Awesome car but it's had its' moments.

Just wanted to introduce myself and give a little bit of a background since I'm sure you'll see a lot of new posts about my '07 coming up fairly soon!

Old 10-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Welcome to the club!

Old 10-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

There are a number of control modules in the car, but no "computer" as such. So are you referring to the engine control module (ECM) ? If so, AIUI, there is a configuration stage after installation of the new unit.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:33 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

I think you need to get whatever codes from the car before you begin. You'll need access to IDS/SDD to read the codes. Having these codes will guide you in understanding what other damage (electronic modules) may have been damaged. Going forward if you use a new ECU then be aware this has to be "married" to your vehicle which also needs IDS/SDD.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:42 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts
Old 10-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for all the useful posts to far.

Fraser - Yes, by computer I meant ECU/ ECM. Everyone I mess on cars with uses those terms interchangeably. Good catch though as there is no specific computer for the car, just various control modules.

Hafren, I checked out the post you linked and I suspect this is what ultimately led to me acquiring mine for insanely cheap.

So mine was advertised as having a new ECM in box (which it is) and substantial electrical damage. The previous owner told me that one of the drains was clogged and soaked the ECM. The ECM has been opened and it is a complete mess! I'll have to snap some photos when it is delivered. Obvious water damage to the exposed pins as you can see exactly where they shorted each other out based on buildup. The inside of the ECM case is completely covered in rust dust. The Jag dealer where it was purchased attempted repairs and told the owner it was not worth it as it definitely needed a new fuse box as well.

As such, since the dealer wrapped the ECM connectors in a plastic bag, which has since filled with water, my thought process is to source an engine wire harness and the front fuse box from a parts car, then start piecing it together. I've generally had very good luck finding stuff out on the west coast and will likely begin my search there. Aside from that, I would absolutely expect some programming that would need to be done to the ECM.

What I've not had exposure to yet is this IDS/SDD that is mentioned - what exactly is that and what is it used for? I'm guessing some sort of diagnostic software that the dealers have available?

On that note, will there be some programming necessary to the ECM before I can start the car? Or, if I've done everything correctly, should the car start but run in a limp mode until it is programmed?