XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New Guy with questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Guy with questions

Hello Everyone.

I am brand new to the forum and new to owning a Jag. I found a fairly high mileage 2004 XJR that didn't have a bunch of problems and was in pretty good shape so I pulled the trigger. This is the first British car I have owned. I just got it a couple of days ago. After going threw a bunch of posts on various topics and not finding all the answers I was looking for I figured I would throw these out there. I will be doing a lot of my own wrench turning.

1. Octane. Are the US cars tuned to run on 91 or do you need to add octane boost to the gas?

2. I looked at a few posts on code readers but it didn't help me much. What do I need in the way of a hand scanner?

3. Can some one post a link to the layout of the fuse box and a maintenance schedule?

Thanks,

Old 02-26-2017, 07:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome, I too am new to the Jags but loving it so far. Others will chime in, but here is my $0.02

1. I run 91 octane. I did develop a misfire for an entire bank, maybe due to gas, maybe mileage (95k) but I used BG44k and so far it has not returned.

2. Can't speak to a handheld, but getting a Mongoose or VCM in conjunction with the SDD/IDS software is going to be the only way to read all codes. The handheld ones you can get I believe only read the OBDII info.

3. Electrical diagrams found at link below. Lots of helpful things in sticky posts. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ams-faq-34891/

The following users liked this post:
hawgman_1 (03-07-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

If you look at "Handbook Download" at or near the top of this X350 forum you can download the handbook which will have the fuse boxes (plural) layouts.

I run my car on 93 Octane.

I swear I read somewhere that the XJR was "detuned" for the US market but cannot find that article now.

Anyway there will be an automatic retard of ignition if you get knocking sensed by the knock sensors, one on each bank under the supercharger.

olywrestle is correct on the handheld ODBII reader and Mongoose or VCM. I have a Mongoose Pro linked to an old Windows XP laptop and that workes for me.

If you have no maintenance records you should probably think about the following definitely:

Change both belts
Change ALL fluids/oils including the transmission and supercharger.
Change plugs

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Don B (02-26-2017), hawgman_1 (03-07-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1

I run my car on 93 Octane.

I only run 93 octane and always Shell - advice found on this forum

hawgman_1 (03-07-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hafren
I only run 93 octane and always Shell - advice found on this forum
Whenever I can its Shell however up on the Cape in MA where I spend some time the only Shell garage nearby has closed. So there it will be Mobil.

hawgman_1 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Code Reader

For Handheld Scanner. I purchased an ELM327 Bluetooth scanner. Then purchased Torque App for my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Link them by WI-FI.

Gives you everything a $350 Bosch code reader does for less that $50, if you have a smart phone or tablet.

It also has Data Logging capabilities.

hawgman_1 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joe Walma
For Handheld Scanner. I purchased an ELM327 Bluetooth scanner. Then purchased Torque App for my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Link them by WI-FI.

Gives you everything a $350 Bosch code reader does for less that $50, if you have a smart phone or tablet.

It also has Data Logging capabilities.
ELM327 will not give you Jaguar specific codes. Only ODBII standard codes.

I do use an ELM327 to display info thru an Android device using Torque Pro onto my head unit.

Last edited by jackra_1; 03-04-2017 at 02:32 PM.
hawgman_1 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by hawgman_1
Hello Everyone.

I am brand new to the forum and new to owning a Jag. I found a fairly high mileage 2004 XJR that didn't have a bunch of problems and was in pretty good shape so I pulled the trigger. This is the first British car I have owned. I just got it a couple of days ago. After going threw a bunch of posts on various topics and not finding all the answers I was looking for I figured I would throw these out there. I will be doing a lot of my own wrench turning.

1. Octane. Are the US cars tuned to run on 91 or do you need to add octane boost to the gas?

2. I looked at a few posts on code readers but it didn't help me much. What do I need in the way of a hand scanner?

3. Can some one post a link to the layout of the fuse box and a maintenance schedule?

Thanks,
The way in which octane is rated is different from the European market and the US. In the US, 91 octane is the recommended minimum. There are some variations in the octane rating depending on time of year and elevation.

Concerning getting data from the vehicle, it will depend on what you are trying to get. I use an ELM327 and DashCommand to get live data so I can present it on my dash while driving, but for diagnostics, you need SDD and a laptop.

You can find the Workshop manual fairly easy for download, and should be listed in the sticky section of this forum.

hawgman_1 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

The best scanner is iCarsoft LRII. I bought it and couldnt be happier. Works great and explains codes. The i930 has a smaller screen and similar functionality. I can't recommend it enough.

www.icarsoft.us_Landrover_Scan_Tools

Order from Amazon for the best price.

hawgman_1 (03-07-2017)