XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Noise not related to tyres ( sure ! )

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noise not related to tyres ( sure ! )

Hello all jag men ( and women of course )

I had a rear noise for a while on my 06 XJ8 ,( seems a commun issue ! )

A lot of people here speak about tyres noise , I was thinking about that , but as the noise increase a little , I wanted to check before to buy new tires

I raise the whole car on a lift , start the engine , put on D and put a few throttle to 50 km/h

the noise is there even with the wheels in the air !

I try to stop one wheel only , ,if I stop the left one , no more noise , if I stop the right one , the noise increase ( as the left wheel speed increase when the other one is stop )

I know the drive shafts don't operate in normal condition when suspension is fully extend , but I don't know what can made this noise except the wheel bearing , even if there is no endfloat ,and no noise when rotating by hand

In fact this test was useful as I thought the noise came from tje right side !

Do you think my diag is ok ? or maybe I am wrong ?

Seems strange to have a bearing issue with only 60000 km ( but the related wheel sems to have contact with something hard ! )

Does someone already change rear bearing on these cars , I have heard of a lot of special tools ,only usual tools to remove of put back bearing , or realy special one ?

When I put te car back ,the dashboard said " anomalie ABS " but it deseapeared after a few meters ( because only 2 wheels very rotating during this test I think )

Thanks for your help and the very useful information's we see here

Phil

Old 02-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

A heavy impact to a road wheel will stress the wheel bearing, (obviously), and damage the wheel itself, and this is usually very plain to see, but any bearing damage is not seen. Due to the impact,the bearing could suffer from "Brinelling" which is the impact forces the ***** in the bearing onto the track with such force they cause little cracks in the surface which then gradually get bigger until noise starts. One thing is that on modern bearing assemblies, play in the bearing is not a good check when the bearing is shot, noise is a better indicator. Some bearings can make a noise for a long time without any noticeable effect on the car handling.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Cool thanks

thanks for these information's

I am no more confident about the noise I heard , I think i can drive some miles ( or km ! ) before the bearing will be worn out too much , as the rotating speed of the whell is quite low ( in France you risk less when burgle a bank than drive over the speed limit ! )

I see some bearing available at some suppliers , but no info about the nut that must be changed each time the shaft is unbolted ( I think )

Does anyone have some info about the tightening torque of what need to be dismantled when replacing a wheel bearing ( need to remove the complete hub and related links I think )

best drive !

Phil

I

Old 03-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Smile nut missing !

Hello ,

I am now ready for the wheel bearing change ( just a last test to be sure the noise came from there )

but on all the technical information's I found , the hub nut need to be changed and seems quite difficult to source , when I ordered the bearing ( SKF part ) the nut was not include ,

Does anybody know where and how to find this part ( ref SKF 03428 )

Thanks

Phil

Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Daimler68
Hello ,

I am now ready for the wheel bearing change ( just a last test to be sure the noise came from there )

but on all the technical information's I found , the hub nut need to be changed and seems quite difficult to source , when I ordered the bearing ( SKF part ) the nut was not include ,

Does anybody know where and how to find this part ( ref SKF 03428 )

Thanks

Phil
Is this what you are looking for?

Wheel Bearing Kit, Rear Axle Jaguar XJ 8 4.2 from SKF - VKBA 3688

The following users liked this post:
Daimler68 (03-23-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Default Last news

I see that i didn't post the final result after bearing change , it is not too late !

the job was quite easy , just need some tools to extract the old bearing

to put the new one I use the kitchen oven ( my wife was not there ! ) to heat a little the aluminium hub , so the bearing go without any press needed

The noise is gone , except the small ( compared to before ! ) noise from the tires

the old bearing didn' suffer from brinelling of mechanical damage , it was rusty on one side ( the inner side ) ,

I suspect a hard pressure wash have put water beside the seal

Has anyone see that before ?

good driving ( or mechanic job ! ) to everybody here