XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Parking Brake Fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking Brake Fault

I have a 2007 XJ8L with a parking brake fault. The parking brake will not release, so I am stuck in my driveway. I am trying to find the parking brake module so I can release the brake using jumper wires and also to see if the module needs to be replaced. In the shop manual it shows the module in the trunk mounted somewhere on the right side wheel well or quarter panel. I can't seem to find it. On the 2005 XJ8 its mounted on the right wheel well in the trunk. I would appreciate it very much if someone could tell me where its located. I'd hate to have to have it towed to the shop.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 AM
Received 12,736 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by bob06053
I have a 2007 XJ8L with a parking brake fault. The parking brake will not release, so I am stuck in my driveway. I am trying to find the parking brake module so I can release the brake using jumper wires and also to see if the module needs to be replaced. In the shop manual it shows the module in the trunk mounted somewhere on the right side wheel well or quarter panel. I can't seem to find it. On the 2005 XJ8 its mounted on the right wheel well in the trunk. I would appreciate it very much if someone could tell me where its located. I'd hate to have to have it towed to the shop.
On our '04 it is mounted behind the right carpeted trim panel ahead of the right wheel well, approximately below the trunk lid hinge. There are two electrical connectors, one on top and one on bottom. See the this post from QuikCat:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...94/#post916491

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (01-12-2017), paydase (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 01:42 PM

Thanks Don. The procedure you described is what I was attempting to do. My parking brake module is not where you show it is on your 2005. I looked all around the trunk (boot) area and couldn't find it. There has to be a Jag mechanic or someone out there that has a 2007 that could tell me where it is located.
HELP!

Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bob06053
Thanks Don. The procedure you described is what I was attempting to do. My parking brake module is not where you show it is on your 2005. I looked all around the trunk (boot) area and couldn't find it. There has to be a Jag mechanic or someone out there that has a 2007 that could tell me where it is located.
HELP!
Hi Bob,

Pdf page 27 of the 2008 XJ Electrical Guide has a diagram of control module locations and it shows the Parking Brake Module (PBM) on the right side of the trunk as we've mentioned:

You can download the Electrical Guide at the link below, courtesy of our forum member Gus:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

Is it possible that something like the Rear Electronic Module is obstructing your view of the PBM?

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-10-2017 at 05:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (01-12-2017), paydase (01-10-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Might be on the blind side of a metal plate there.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Thanks JagV8
I searched all around the right rear and found nothing. If its there it is well hidden. I even looked behind the rear electronic module. The fuel pump module is behind it. Could it be more forward in the boot area??
Bob

Old 01-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought: I have a 2007 VDP and I had the same issue when my original battery was going on 8 years. I was told by my local indie shop and the Jaguar dealership to remove the negative battery cable and wait 5 minutes and re-connect the cable and this should solve the problem temporarily so I can get to the shop. Given the age of battery, I decided to replace the battery since I was removing the cable. Upon replacement of the battery this issue was resolved. Before the Park Brake Fault occasionally I would get a "Cruise not Available" Message on an initial morning start and then would not re-occur on a later re-start. Within the forum I believe I read that error codes such as "Cruise not Available" usually occurs with a weakening battery even though the car starts.

Don B (01-28-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 AM
Default Parking brake fault

Thanks Jag007.
Coincidentally I have the same problem with the cruise control message on the initial start of the day. I goes away upon restart. I'll try disconnecting the negative cable and see if that works. I just bought the car within the last year so I don't know how old the battery is. I don't drive the car everyday and here in the northeast I don't drive it in the snow and salt. Could that be a cause for the parking brake fault?? Still looking for the parking brake module!

Old 01-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob06053 - I am in Florida and also use the car on weekends or every other weekend usually putting on 20-25 miles. The cruise control message was the first indication that the battery was likely starting to go. I was parked in the garage, weather was warm in January month- Park Brake Fault got my attention since i could not move the car. After replacing the battery I was able to reset the Parking brake and never got the cruise control message or any issue with the Parking brake again. Let me know how it goes.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:06 AM

Jag007 - I finally cleared the parking brake fault. I disconnected the battery cables for the third time and I was able to clear the parking brake fault and also the cruise control message. I guess the third time was the charm. Its been working well and I've been trying to drive the car more between snow storms. I guess when I start seeing the cruise control message I should try the battery disconnect procedure and hopefully I won't get stuck with the locked parking brake. I'm not sure if the battery is the original. Its a Jaguar Varta battery and there is no indication on the battery when it was installed. So it could be the original or the prior owner had it replaced at the Jaguar dealer.

Don B (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

On a Jaguar (Varta) battery there will probably be codes on a battery post.

One code is week no and the other is year of manufacture.

My Varta is still good after 12 years but is not on the Jag now.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag007
Just a thought: I have a 2007 VDP and I had the same issue when my original battery was going on 8 years. I was told by my local indie shop and the Jaguar dealership to remove the negative battery cable and wait 5 minutes and re-connect the cable and this should solve the problem temporarily so I can get to the shop. Given the age of battery, I decided to replace the battery since I was removing the cable. Upon replacement of the battery this issue was resolved. Before the Park Brake Fault occasionally I would get a "Cruise not Available" Message on an initial morning start and then would not re-occur on a later re-start. Within the forum I believe I read that error codes such as "Cruise not Available" usually occurs with a weakening battery even though the car starts.
Jag007,
Thank so.much for your posting this, it helped solving months of headache to resolve it. I scanned and tried to reset tens of times using my iCarsoft, didn't work. Disconnecting battery resolved it.
AM

Old 01-08-2022, 01:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

better just replace the battery or at least take the battery and get it tested. why overload your alternator with a bad battery? battery is way easier to replace then the alternator.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkng brake actuator cycle timing off & fix

Everytime the battery in my XJ is disconnected and reconnected the electronic parking brake actuator spins the "rider" (riding up and down the threated rod to pull and release the parkng brake levers on the rear brakes) off the end of the rod. The "rider" falls off the end of the rod and just sits in the housing with the cable sitting in it loosely. Now the "rider" and cable are disconnected from the actuator and the parking brake failure light comes on in the instrument cluster.

Does anyone know how come that the actuator spins to far and spits of the threated piece that pulls the brake cable? I am sure it is supposed to spin a set amoutn of turns and stop before disengaging the cable from the threaded rod, but where and how is the impuls for that action to come from?

After I had to remove the actuator twice (sits above the differential, can be removed towar the right rear wheel, slide and rotate along the axle shaft after the cables, wires and the bracket were removed), I resolved to give it a "rigged" fix. I drilled a hole in the end of the threated rod, took a spring and a washer to arrest the "rider" at the end of the rod were there is not thread, the spring load pushes it agains the thread and when the motor spins to tighten the cable, the rider threats itself back on the thread. This workd for a while but stopped now, I am thinking the spring load might have been to strong and wore the thread in the "rider" out while spinning in the cable release "spin off" mode, now it does not catch in reverse (canle tightening) mode to thread/start the "rider" on the threated rod.

Any ideas or suggestions why I had to address the issue to start with?

Thanks for looking!

Old 01-13-2022, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by obraun250r
Does anyone know how come that the actuator spins to far and spits of the threated piece that pulls the brake cable? I am sure it is supposed to spin a set amoutn of turns and stop before disengaging the cable from the threaded rod, but where and how is the impuls for that action to come from?
Hi obraun250r,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us!

I like your creative repair of the Electronic Park Brake actuator and thank you for posting the photos! I suspect the problem is with the Hall-effect sensor, the device built in to the motor that counts rotations and relays that information to the Parking Brake Control Module, or PBM.

There's a good chance your PBM has diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) stored that are related to the Hall sensor, but they would be Chassis or C-prefix codes, or possibly Network or U-prefix codes, which cannot be read by generic OBDII scan tools (which only read Powertrain or P-prefix codes). To read the Chassis and Network codes requires either the Jaguar dealer-level diagnostic system, or a higher end third-party scan tool. Having all of the DTCs scanned (including also the Body-related or B-prefix codes) might give you some clues to help understand the malfunction.

I am surprised that your "rider," or "Drive Nut," as it's called on the parts diagram, can run all the way off the shaft. In the parts diagram, it appears that the drive nut should be held captive by the end cap. Your experience suggests that there is more room at the end of the gear-lead screw than necessary. But perhaps this is a failsafe so the drive nut cannot jam against the end cap and destroy the actuator assembly or even the park brake calipers. By running off the end of the threads, the mechanism is self-disabling.

This exploded view is from the X350 Technical Introduction manual:

When you get a chance, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Also, it is helpful if you visit your User Control Panel and Edit Your Signature to include the year, model and engine details of your Jaguar. That way, this important information shows up in all of your posts and helps others know how to best answer your questions.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-14-2022 at 09:23 AM.