XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Phone module, no phone, Bluetooth?

Old 03-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Phone module, no phone, Bluetooth?

I have a 2005 (and a 2002) XJR. The O5 has the nav and a phone holder in the center consol, but there is no phone.
When I press phone, it says "Phone in use, please replace to end call or mute and replace to continue call"

1. Is this normal behavior?
2. Can the phone be replaced with anything else?
3. Is bluetooth part of the phone system or was that a separate module to the phone?

Appreciate any help.
Seems much harder to add bluetooth to the 05, was easy on the '02.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like at least you already have the PSE which is the phone module. You may not have the BTUM which is the bluetooth module to be installed in the floor console/armrest. If you don't have voice control, you will need to add a mic as well.

Some older version of the PSE doesn't support bluetooth. You will need to find out if your PSE is at least at the -AC level. Anything below (e.g. -AB) means you need a new PSE which can be expensive.

Search for bluetooth in the forum and you will find many valuable information.

The following users liked this post:
dsetter (04-03-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by aklee
Looks like at least you already have the PSE which is the phone module. You may not have the BTUM which is the bluetooth module to be installed in the floor console/armrest. If you don't have voice control, you will need to add a mic as well.

Some older version of the PSE doesn't support bluetooth. You will need to find out if your PSE is at least at the -AC level. Anything below (e.g. -AB) means you need a new PSE which can be expensive.

Search for bluetooth in the forum and you will find many valuable information.
Thanks, I have the voice control. so need to see the PSE version. Is that in the console/armrest or else where?
Any service manuals available for these here?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

The PSE is in the trunk, left side (drivers side in US) and in the middle of the equipment stack. You need to remove the trunk lining which involves lifting the rubber surround to the trunk. Not difficult, just a bit of a PIA. If you already have the PSE (and it sounds like you do due to phone holder) then all you need is the bluetooth module to replace the phone holster. The phone holster is discarded. The BT module connects to the wiring loom under the center armrest assembly and thus requires disassembly of the rear passenger heating vents/controls and rear entertainment controls , if fitted. You'll pretty much be pulling the armrest assembly totally apart by the time you have finished.

The behavior you describe is correct. I actually have the original Jaguar phone at home (Jaguar branded Motorola V60i) but it will not work as it was on AT&T's analog network which was shut down many years ago, so it too is a paperweight. George at Nalley Jaguar (forum sponsor) got me a great price on the BT module, if I recall it was ~$212.

First caveat - I did this on my '04 XJ8 that came with the factory analog phone and was an early car (VIN in the 30k range) and the install manual indicated I needed a later version of the PSE (AE not AA revision) for it to work with the BT module. I got a later PSE (AE) on ebay and it worked fine. For kicks one day I decided to try the AA and the BT also worked flawlessly with the AA PSE. The install documentation said it shouldn't work. YMMV. To see the module version on the PSE when it is mounted in the car needs a good flashlight, good eyesight and a small inspection mirror.

Second caveat - the microphone in the light assembly in the roof lining doesn't work well with the BT module, your voice volume will be too low to other callers. You need an upgraded microphone that goes on the outside of the light assembly. If I recall I also got that from Nalley for ~$40.

BTW the install manuals are in the sticky link at the top of this forum....

- Tim

Last edited by timfountain; 03-23-2012 at 01:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by timfountain:
dsetter (03-22-2012), PigletJohn (12-24-2013)
Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 AM

It would be seriously good if I can get that set up working. I really like the bluetooth phone, more than the Sirrius radio features. Just want the weekend here to go check.
I fitted the motorola T605 and rewired a pye audio switch to get BT phone and A2DP audio into the X308 XJR that is the X350 partner.
Thanks for the details.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 AM

I have a BT module on its way and checked the phone module which was an AC version.
Will document and photograph and report on the success, or otherwise as I proceed, but it will have to wait as the wife too the car to 'Vegas grrr, without me...

Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 AM

I have a BT module on its way and checked the phone module which was an AC version.
Will document and photograph and report on the success, or otherwise as I proceed, but it will have to wait as the wife took the car to 'Vegas grrr, without me...

Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Default Phone BTUM Installed and operational

Well, checked the Phone module, version AC, received the BTUM, removed the rear A/C vent cover, unplugged old phone module, plugged in BTUM, crossed fingers, turned on ignition, pressed phone button, and was presented with the dial pad and service search.
Accessed phone, searched, found "Jaguar", entered passcode 1313 and pairing completed.
Well so far so good.
Dialed home, phone answered, and wife said she could hear me fine so no issue with phone audio level either.

Does anything EVER work this easy when it comes to our Jags?

I had looked at the Zone 2 and Zone 4 BTUM modules any it lead me to believe I would have to pull the audio equipment stack out of the trunk and rewire that. Why did they have that in? Don't care though.

So, pulled arm rest lid, pulled phone plate out, pulled console (Literally pulled as there are NO screws that hold this in)
pulled out old wire harness, routed BTUM into area next to inside console and vent.
Replaced armrest console tray, and A/C vents.

Checked phone again, ignition off/on, it re-paired.

Now, what was MORE amazing was when I checked the memory lists, all the contacts in the phone were listed!!!
Next tried Jaguar Voice "Phone Dial 555 1234" and it did.

I am one happy camper.
Module was ebay Jaguar Bluetooth Module BTUM For Phone X-Type S-Type XJ8 | eBay

Happy to have parted with $135

Phone is Google Nexus 4G S.

My thanks to Aklee and timfountain to let me know that it was viable.

Last edited by dsetter; 04-03-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added thanks
PigletJohn (12-24-2013)
Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phone Module

Wil the upgrade only work with post AB PSE? (Mine is AB)

Old 04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mrreason
Wil the upgrade only work with post AB PSE? (Mine is AB)
See my post up thread....

Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade

Since it worked with an AA version of the PSE, I will give it a shot with the AB version. Thanks for your response.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

This is some info from the Blue Tooth training manual:

BTUM Upgrade:
Up to Week 24 - 2005 the BTUM level was: AA.
From Week 24 - 2005 the BTUM was upgraded from AA to AB level components.

AA modules cover Nokia, Siemens and Sony Ericsson hand sets.

AB modules cover Nokia, Siemens, Sony Ericsson and Motorola hand sets.

The later modules can be identified by the display screen now showing No BT phone on ignition switch-on and when unable to locate paired device.

Obviously this is relevant to the models manufactured around that time.

PigletJohn (12-24-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 05 VDP with BT but it's frozen ("Handset in Use..."). Tried various ways to reset but to no avail. Think I need to get to the module and unplug to hopefully reset it. My question is how to I disassemble the center console to access it?
Any help would be appreciated.
Greg

Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

Do you have a phone paired with it? I get the "Handset in use" message in my 04 XJR whenever a BT phone is not present.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 PM

unfortunately no. It's been this way since I bought the car 2 years ago. I really like the feature, Just hoping it's something as simple as unplugging the BT module to reset it.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 AM

The message you are getting is the correct message for a BT module with no phone paired. Turn the key on and enter * * 3 * # * and the display should change to "Discover me." If you search for a bluetooth connection with your phone it should show up. The pairing code is 1313.

PigletJohn (12-24-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 AM

That's my challenge. I can't get the display to allow me to enter the **3*#*. It just stays on that message "Handset in use...". Is there another way to get that message to come off the screen? I've tried disconnecting the battery for 15 min but that didn't work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 AM

Okay, my mistake. If you had a bluetooth module that message would have gone away after a minute or so. You need to pull the console and see if you have a BT module installed. It's a simple, 5-minute job to pull the console. I did a write up of it here. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...004-xjr-83505/

Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the instructions. I'll give it a shot. The original spec sheet for the car says it has a BT module installed (and I have the microphone installed next to the overhead console). Appreciate the help. Let you know how it goes.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:21 PM

Received a tip that allowed me to get to the keypad. Went to User Settings and switched from English(US) to English(UK) and then back. Hit the Phone button and got the keypad (strange). Posted the next steps below since I am still unable to pair my phone (and yes, have checked the compatability on Jaguar's Jaguar UK - Bluetooth Connectivity ).
- Entered **3*#* (also tried ##3#*# and ##1#*#)
- Did not receive any message so hit the green phone button
- Received a "Check Phone" error msg (was expecting to see "Discover me")

What's also strange is that after I turned the key off, then back on to Ignition II, I get the HANDSET IN USE msg again and have to change the User Settings to clear it.
Any ideas as to next steps? May have to have the dealer diagnose at this point, but it feels like I'm close.

Attached Thumbnails Phone module, no phone, Bluetooth?-img_00000002.jpg   Phone module, no phone, Bluetooth?-img_00000003.jpg   Phone module, no phone, Bluetooth?-img_00000004.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Phone module, no phone, Bluetooth?