XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ6 - locked my keys in the boot

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default XJ6 - locked my keys in the boot

Hello, I am in the UK [South East] - I have an XJ Executive automatic 1996. My friend says it's an XJ6 - I locked my main keys in the boot 2 days ago. I went to a local Jaguar dealer in Ashford who cut me a plain key [without the computerised part in the fob], got home and it won't open the boot. It won't open the driver door but it locks the driver door. The security light is flashing inside the car. I don't know what to do next. Can anyone help me please? Thank you. Martin

Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Ah ... this has come up before ! This link may be of help.

Best of luck

Dave (in beautiful downtown Gloucestershire UK)

Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 AM

I've been in contact with Mike at Jaguar but he can't help. He's apologised for not being able to offer me any solutions. I'll get in touch with a small garage round the corner from where I live and see if they can come and drill a hole under the number plate and I'll hopefully reach inside and retrieve my keys. I'm still laughing about this, admittedly a bit maniacally right now but still laughing. either that or cry and i ain't given up yet!

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 AM
Default another day dawns

Good morning to all who have helped me yesterday: Still in the same position. Had a lock expert round my house with a tibbe key yesterday. He managed to unlock the ignition and do everything apart from start the car. Could not pick the lock on the boot though. My Jaguar dealership suggested I take the rear number plate off and drill a hole into the boot, then release the lock with a coat hanger. My friend did the drilling but he found it hard work and only managed a small hole through one layer of thick metal. That idea was abandoned. Jaguar head office in Warwickshire gave up on me and told me to get back in touch with my nearest Jaguar dealer. I paid a lot of money for this car but as it was a long time ago, no one wants to know. There isn't really anyone to help at Jaguar. I feel disillusioned today. Someone suggested that the lock may have been changed at some point and that's why the TBE1T5 'non genuine' master key I got from the Jaguar dealership in Ashford doesn't fit the locks, but I somehow doubt that. Why would someone have changed the lock on the boot? anyway, it is being collected today on one of those large flat-bed trucks and taken to the garage. I'll post up what happens if anything new does. I'm a bit more accepting today, yesterday I was in a bit of a state and it helped me having the support on this site so I do mean 'thanks to you all'.
Martin

Old 07-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Touch wood I've been locked out of the car as it had been written off and the mechanic decided to disconnect the electrics! Every time I went in the boot and then closed it I cursed like crazy, it's a bit like a movie scene where someone says "Whatever you do...Don't......." Yeah! and someone like me does!
Comedy of Errors is my theme tune to the sound of "My Way!"
I really thought Mike could have helped so I apologise for persevering when I thought you were giving up!! I know it's frustrating, I've been there.
If I were near your neigbourhood, I would have come around and picked the lock as I have been a dab hand at helping others out, no not house-breaking, just others locked out or needing to get in to something!
I did think about the elctrics but I wouldn't like to suggest something awkward that may inflate the problem! Good Luck Martin, You will get there! Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 07-10-2013 at 02:41 AM.
XJExecutive (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Martin,

Good to hear you are making progress of a kind.

As the lock expert could unlock the ignition but not the boot, this makes me even more certain the boot lock key way is seized up with lack of use. When you finally do get into it, spend some time cleaning and lubricating it to make sure it works with the key in future!

Drilling a small hole behind the number plate to hook the operating lever is the solution applied by many members here in the past when the key way couldn't be freed.

I hope to hear you are happily driving around again tomorrow.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Stuart Beattie (07-10-2013), XJExecutive (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 04:01 AM

Hello Stu,
Thank you. It's nice seeing Perth in Scotland as your home! I studied accountancy in a college in Perth in the 1980's. Loved it there. Crikey, long time ago now. I am from Dundee originally. I loved driving in to Perth across the bridge. Watching the water flow beneath was just so beautiful. Thanks for your support, it has been helpful. The mechanic coming this morning is not here yet but hope he will be here soon. Regards Martin

Old 07-10-2013, 04:04 AM

Good morning Graham,
Thank you again. Well, the next guy coming today is supposed to be an expert with the tibbe key, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. These guys were recommended and they are just about a mile away from where I live so if all works out I will have a new garage to look after my car from now on too! Got to keep your chin up, eh? This is a really good site to belong to because of guys like you. Thanks again. Regards Martin

Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Martin,

If you get the chance to take photos of the Tibbe Wizard at work, it would make a useful post in the tech forum.

This same issue happens to a lot of members and the more info available on solutions, the better.

Graham

Old 07-10-2013, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Martin, keep us posted, and thanks for the Perth comments, I have had many jaunts over the bridge from my Ex-Loved and still Loved Ducati MultiStrada to the Jaguar X Type I have and the big difference is: On the bike it's wonderful, in the Jag, you feel so much more at ease, and PROTECTED... when a truck nearly takes you out!
As it happens I passed my bike test and got my drivers license in Dundee so you must be charmed after all, Dundee The City of Disovery, The 3 J's, Jam, Jute and Journalism and er a Jewel of a Jaguar!
Live the Dream and I hope you are sorted shortly! Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 07-10-2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Numtee spelling!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

looking at my key, I think the lock may have a version of the Chubb AVA disk system, which is very difficult to pick but has the advantage of no springs so quite resistant to corrosion and dirt.

You have prompted me to give my boot lock a squirt of WD40 and a bit of a wiggle. When the WD40 drains out with any dirt, I will put some dry ptfe lube in it.