XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Radio / console removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio / console removal

Another of the many faults I have with my car is the radio cut out after a phone call some months back, I can see all the radio stations etc but can't hear anything, the in car Jaguar phone is dead and I think this has muted the radio, in fact all the sound, no CD or voice from the satnav.

So to get to the wiring and check it out I'm thinking I need to remove the centre console and radio / surround, if I can remove the link to the phone then I think that will release the mute on the radio.

Anyone know how the whole thing comes out?

Dave

Old 02-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave K
Another of the many faults I have with my car is the radio cut out after a phone call some months back, I can see all the radio stations etc but can't hear anything, the in car Jaguar phone is dead and I think this has muted the radio, in fact all the sound, no CD or voice from the satnav.

So to get to the wiring and check it out I'm thinking I need to remove the centre console and radio / surround, if I can remove the link to the phone then I think that will release the mute on the radio.

Anyone know how the whole thing comes out?

Dave
Dave, gently pull up on the wood surround on the console and the rear vents. You will see some #30 (or may be #25) TORX screws: 2 up front and 2 in the rear. Remove those, disconnect the wires from the rear vents. Then the entire center console will pull rearwards and out.
That said, check the all the fuses related to the sound system, the phone mute and the amp.
Bill

Old 02-19-2017, 03:43 PM

Thanks Bill, that sounds almost too easy:-)

Dave

Old 02-19-2017, 05:37 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Before you go messing with wires I would suggest removing the EARTH lead to the battery and perform a HARD RESET.

Your EPB and In Car Entertainment might be restored to normal operation??

Just a thought.

bob

Old 02-20-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Before you go messing with wires I would suggest removing the EARTH lead to the battery and perform a HARD RESET.

Your EPB and In Car Entertainment might be restored to normal operation??

Just a thought.

bob
Bob, I tried that option about 18 months ago, no change.

Dave

Old 02-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a more extensive process to removing the center console. First you have to pull the center vents out from the rear seat end of the center console and remove the switches for the spare outlets and seat heater controls. You may want to take a photo to be sure you know what goes where prior to disconnecting.
There are 2 torx screws to remove. on that end.
Next pull the cover from over the shifter, it pulls upward, there will be 2 torx screws under there.
Then pull the center console back toward the rear seat.

Next you have full access to the center cover to the radio and air conditioning controls. I had issues where my radio worked but you couldn't see the display. I purchased a replacement one on ebay, with the exact same part number for about $50. I worked right away. I have heard, perhaps incorrectly, that in the UK there are security codes in the UK that would prevent swapping radio parts without a security codes. Apparently this was not an issue in may Jag.
RyeJag

Old 02-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

ryejag is right, IF you have the rear ac unit with led temp controls. If you do have the rear a/c unit located under the center console slide the rear floor vents down and out, not straight out. I broke some vent tabs the first time I removed them. The manual just says "remove" but not how. Boy I miss Haynes manuals.