XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change

Hello All, A Transmission Fault light is prompting some action and the first place I thought of starting is with the oil and filter. The 2004 has less than 60,000 but I can't see from all the records that it had ever been changed. My question is, how is the transmission fluid temperature taken to make sure the level is right?

Thanks
Dan

Old 06-19-2017, 01:51 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The correct way is to monitor with WDS/IDS/SDD or similar.

A 'non-contact' IR thermometer can be used. I usually aim at the trans cooler outlet line. (aluminum line from gearbox to cooler)

That will give a fairly accurate temp reading.

You can just wait until the ambient temp is a little below 30 degrees Centigrade top up as much as you can, start the engine and work fast to finish filling.

It will be 50 degrees (overtemp) in 5 or 10 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

In principle it's better to target a non metallic (or at least non shiny) surface with an "non contact" IR thermometer.
Also take care that the IR thermometer does not "see" a hot surface (like an exhaust pipe) nearby, so point the laser beam close enough of the target and choose a wide enough area.
Make trials to see how the temperature fluctuates when you shoot at various parts.

Don B (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Center base of the plastic pan was not too far off from actual internal temp sensor read by SDD.

Don B (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagmandan04
Hello All, A Transmission Fault light is prompting some action and the first place I thought of starting is with the oil and filter.

Hi Dan,

Since the most common causes of transmission fault warning lights are electrical/electronic rather than mechanical or hydraulic, a good first step would be to have your car scanned for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), which should tell you why the warning lamp is illuminated.

Checking the fluid level or topping it up when cold as Bob suggested is a good temporary measure. Flushing the fluid and changing the pan/filter is well worth doing as ZF now recommends these be done after 8 years regardless of mileage. Don't forget to also change the plastic sleeve for the electrical connector, which tends to develop leaks that can contaminate the connector pins with transmission fluid. In fact, before you change the fluid and filter it would be worth opening the connector (at the rear top right of the the gearbox) and flushing the pins in both halves with zero-residue electrical contact cleaner spray. Allow to dry before reconnecting.

Please let us know what code(s) are stored and we'll try to help. I am attaching the Jaguar ZF 6HP26 On-Board Diagnostics manual so you can see the kinds of faults that trigger the warning lamp.

Cheers,

Don

Attached Files

Last edited by Don B; 06-20-2017 at 11:47 AM.