XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Replaced Front Right Air Spring, Car Still Too Low

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello All,
Back with the latest status..... all is fixed back in the car... the compressor, valve block and a new right front strut. The car is not yet completely up as I feel should be, but yes, better than before. The VEHICLE TOO LOW is no more, but the AIR SUSPENSION FAULT still appears. The mech say he will have to take it to the Jaguar dealer here to get it re-programmed, and then all will be / should be OK.

Now here is my fresh set of questions or doubts..
1. Why is it that only the Jag dealer can do the programming, why not the mech himself? Isn't the software for that available for all ?
2. If I have the SDD with me, can I do it myself ?
3. What exactly does the SDD do ?
4. I hear the SDD gives out fault codes. Is there anywhere a list of all the fault codes that deciphers the meaning of each, and a probable reason or the location of the fault ?
5. Finally, is there anything that I can do myself for the re-programming ?

Please advice.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Originally Posted by jagnew
Hello All,
Back with the latest status..... all is fixed back in the car... the compressor, valve block and a new right front strut. The car is not yet completely up as I feel should be, but yes, better than before. The VEHICLE TOO LOW is no more, but the AIR SUSPENSION FAULT still appears. The mech say he will have to take it to the Jaguar dealer here to get it re-programmed, and then all will be / should be OK.

Now here is my fresh set of questions or doubts..
1. Why is it that only the Jag dealer can do the programming, why not the mech himself? Isn't the software for that available for all ?
2. If I have the SDD with me, can I do it myself ?
3. What exactly does the SDD do ?
4. I hear the SDD gives out fault codes. Is there anywhere a list of all the fault codes that deciphers the meaning of each, and a probable reason or the location of the fault ?
5. Finally, is there anything that I can do myself for the re-programming ?

Please advice.
Hi jagnew,

Congratulations on getting it put back together! I'll try to answer your questions.

1. System Driven Diagnostics (SDD) is a proprietary diagnostic software program used by Jaguar dealership service departments. It was originally available only to Jaguar dealers, but today companies such as Drew Technologies and British Diagnostics offer versions to independent mechanics and do-it-yourselfers. Out-of-date versions of SDD have also become available on eBay and elsewhere. SDD runs on a Windows computer and a special USB-to-OBDII cable is required, either a Ford VCM or a Mongoose. The cheap eBay "Mangoose" or "Mongoose Clone" cables have proven unreliable, so those of us who are serious about maintaining our cars ourselves have spent hundreds of dollars for legitimate Ford VCM or Drew Technologies Mongoose setups.

2. Yes, if you have SDD running on a laptop and a proper interface cable, you can recalibrate the air suspension ride heights.

3. SDD communicates with all of the Electronic Control Units (ECUs) or Control Modules in the car and can detect malfunctions and read stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). In addition to the Congressionally-mandated Powertrain (P) DTCs that generic OBDII scanners can read, SDD can read the proprietary Jaguar Body (B), Chassis (C) and Network (U) codes. SDD can reprogram control modules, raise or lower each corner of the air suspension, change default settings such as whether the Electronic Park Brake engages automatically when the transmission is put in Park, and perform many other dealer-level operations.

4. Most of the DTCs are listed and explained with possible causes in the DTC Summaries manual, which you can download at this link:

X350 DTC Summaries Manual

5. It might be worth trying a "hard reset" by disconnecting the negative battery cable and touching its terminal to the positive battery cable terminal (no need to disconnect the positive battery cable - you are bypassing the battery). Hold the two terminals together securely for a couple of minutes to clear certain memories. That might possibly clear your ASF.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-15-2017 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jagnew (01-15-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi jagnew,

1. System Driven Diagnostics (SDD) is a proprietary diagnostic software program used by Jaguar dealership service departments. It was originally available only to Jaguar dealers, but today companies such as Drew Technologies and British Diagnostics offer versions to independent mechanics and do-it-yourselfers. Out-of-date versions of SDD have also become available on eBay and elsewhere. SDD runs on a Windows computer and a s......

2. Yes, if you have SDD running on a laptop and a proper interface cable, you can recalibrate the air suspension ride heights.

3. SDD communicates with all of the Electronic Control Units (ECUs) or Control Modules in the car and can detect malfunctions and read stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). In addition to the Congressionally-mandated Powertrain (P) DTCs that generic OBDII scanners can read, SDD can read the proprietary Jaguar Body (B), Chassis (C) and Network (U) codes. ........

4. Most of the DTCs are listed and explained with possible causes in the DTC Summaries manual, which you can download at this link:

5. It might be worth trying a "hard reset" by disconnecting the negative battery cable and touching its terminal to the positive battery cable terminal (no need to disconnect the positive battery cable - you are bypassing the battery). Hold the two terminals together securely for a couple of minutes to clear certain memories. That might possibly clear your ASF.

Cheers,

Don
Now this gives way to another set of doubts...

I got the SDD version 148.00 and 148.01, and britishdiagnostics.co.uk is giving 1.38. So is it good to have the latest version, or work with V1.38 ? Where do I buy a good and cheap cable only, as I already have the latest of SDD ? (both DT and BD are too expensive for a just a cable)

I went through the document of DTC, but not find how to do the re-programming for ride-height or any other setting you mentioned earlier. How do I do that ?

Is there any place we get the list of messages that appear in the Dashboard, their explanation and possible solutions ? I would love to do all the possible DIY without the need of a garage mech or equipment.