XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Restricted performance / temp guage

Old 04-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My maintenance notes show at 49,000 miles a sticking thermostat was replaced under warranty, at 53,500 miles there was a leak at the thermostat housing and the thermostat seal was replaced under warranty, and then at 85,700 the thermostat outlet pipe was replaced (along with waterpump and drivebelt for $1.4k).

Every 40,000 miles from here on out I'll have them replace the thermostat along with housing and seal. That won't cost much and it will probably avoid leaks and the huge problem and expense of the housing disenigrating and dropping bits into the waterpump.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (04-03-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 2004 xjr that on a long drive from Arizona to California would all of a sudden have the thermostat peg all the way to super hot. I"d pull over heart pumping( just bought it) and think this is just great. Waited 5-10 minutes and the car needle moved to the middle.It turned out to be the thermostat and after that it has never been a problem. Not too difficult a job either.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:08 PM

Tonight after shutting off engine noticed electric fans running fast. Restarted car and dash temp gauge normal middle and no trouble lamps, turned off engine and fans still running.

Was driving normal, air temp 65f, no low coolant lamp, no coolant smell, aircon off. Normally aspirated engine, don't have code reader yet.

This year already three dealer visits and spent over $4000 on thermostat and housing, water pump, belt, oil pan, tie rods, bushings, computer communication issue, etc. Sigh...

Old 01-16-2017, 06:55 PM

About a week ago my wife and I were surprised to hear the electric cooling fans running after the engine was turned off. The thermostat, housing, water pump, and belt had been changed less than a year ago at a Jag dealer, and the cooling system should be in perfect condition.

The car was at a second dealer for a fail to pass smog test, and they did a hard reset and reflash of the computer. After I drove the car awhile I purchased a code reader for the failure to pass smog issue, and began monitoring the coolant system with it also.

The Jag dealer diagnosed needs a new thermostat and gave a verbal quote of "north of $1000" and a written quote of around $750. After speaking with the service advisor where the thermostat and housing were changed less than a year ago it was determined the parts and labor were under warranty, and the second Jag dealer removed the thermostat housing and said it was ok but one of the seals was twisted and crushed and wasn't providing proper suction. Doesn't sound like an accurate diagnosis.

Now the code reader usually shows the temp at 196 degrees farenheit, occasionally rising to 201 degrees and once spiking momentarily to 209 degrees, it shows fault codes P0113 and P0102 which may be unrelated to the coolant system, and the cooling fans came on after the engine was turned off.

The Jag dealer tells me these coolant temps are normal, they have seen the fault codes and did not say they were a problem, and he said it is normal for the electric cooling fans to run for up to 4 minutes after engine shutdown even though we never heard them do that except for the time right before the thermostat and housing had to be changed due to housing disintegration.

Using the code reader I will monitor the cooling system and report any further information learned from it. Also the smog check just passed so I reset the codes and we'll see if they come back.

Attached Thumbnails Restricted performance / temp guage-20170108_150604.jpg   Restricted performance / temp guage-20170108_150616.jpg  

Last edited by XJPurr; 01-16-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Temps sound OK but those faults need fixing.

Dealer is usually very expensive and this one sounds especially so plus rather clueless. DIY / find an indy.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:32 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

I have a scanguage on my car so I get to see the actual temp all the time. My car, which is the identical twin of yours, runs at 203 90% of the time. Goes up or down from 199 to 207 depending on load but quickly settles back to 203. From memory the thermostat is fully open at 201. Rightly or wrongly, my fans have never run on after shutdown.

XJPurr (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by woox4
I have a scanguage on my car so I get to see the actual temp all the time. My car, which is the identical twin of yours, runs at 203 90% of the time. Goes up or down from 199 to 207 depending on load but quickly settles back to 203. From memory the thermostat is fully open at 201. Rightly or wrongly, my fans have never run on after shutdown.
I cleared the fault codes which might have been induced while the Jag dealer was fixing a computer issue. After 7 drive cycles of 70 or so miles no codes have come back, the max temp has been 209 degrees, and the fans sometimes run at low speed for a few minutes after engine shut down.

Jag dealer again told me ok for fans to run a few minutes after shut down, the temps are ok, so it is a mystery why the fans have started doing this that I will have to live with for the time being, and long-term I might figure out why the fans run when the coolant is not hot.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:12 PM

Jag service center has fixed difficult problems and after computer reflash engine runs better than new. However I think they don't always tell me the truth.

Been getting low coolant alerts and having to add small amounts to the reservoir, and then found a very small leak at the reservoir upper hose nipple. Don't know what the connection is but suspect this is why fans run sometimes after engine shut down, and that condition is not normal as service advisor repeatedly told me.

It looks like changing the coolant reservoir is within my ability, but I won't have a place to work on the car for a few months so will have to live with the fans running for awhile.

After using a code reader I feel every family should have one and regularly check all their vehicles. My Jag showed a U0426 code (immobilizer data invalid?). That code is probably not related to the reservoir leak and is likely an early alert for my next expensive trip to the factory service center.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

It is relatively common for the coolant tank nipple to develop a leak over time.

I recently replaced my tank because I thought that was the problem however I still had the problem with the new tank. It turned out that the connecting hose was slightly "enlarged" due to age at the nipple connection.

A new hose cured the issue.

Soon after purchasing my car I replaced nearly all of the hoses including the one under the SC but did not change the coolant tank one!

XJPurr (06-28-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by XJPurr
Jag service center has fixed difficult problems and after computer reflash engine runs better than new. However I think they don't always tell me the truth.

Been getting low coolant alerts and having to add small amounts to the reservoir, and then found a very small leak at the reservoir upper hose nipple. Don't know what the connection is but suspect this is why fans run sometimes after engine shut down, and that condition is not normal as service advisor repeatedly told me.

It looks like changing the coolant reservoir is within my ability, but I won't have a place to work on the car for a few months so will have to live with the fans running for awhile.

After using a code reader I feel every family should have one and regularly check all their vehicles. My Jag showed a U0426 code (immobilizer data invalid?). That code is probably not related to the reservoir leak and is likely an early alert for my next expensive trip to the factory service center.
If you had the PCM reflashed that is why your fan is now running after shutdown. I had the exact same experience about 4 years ago. My fan will run for 3 minutes on low speed whenever the ambient is > 80F and I've idled in traffic. It was a "fix" for the hot soak restart issue (some cars would chug and stall in hot weather due to fuel vaporization in the rail). Annoying, but hasn't caused any issues. Doesn't happen in cooler weather or when the engine hasn't heat soaked in traffic.

FYI, this fan run is triggered by the fuel rail temp sensor, not the coolant sensor. I was able to trick the PCM into thinking the rail was cooler by putting in a fixed resistor (just to provide my theory).

XJPurr (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by jackra_1
A new hose cured the issue.

Ah I didn't think of the hose, will have to check that before ordering a new tank.

In the old days we could just cut the end off a hose and it would seal good and last a long time. I'm sure Jag engineers didn't leave enough slack for that, I'll probably have to pull the engine out to get to the other end of that hose for replacing it.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mhamilton
If you had the PCM reflashed that is why your fan is now running after shutdown. FYI, this fan run is triggered by the fuel rail temp sensor, not the coolant sensor. I was able to trick the PCM into thinking the rail was cooler by putting in a fixed resistor (just to provide my theory).

I'll keep that in mind and we'll see after the reservoir leak is fixed.

Is your car liquid silver? I saw one of those brand new in a Jag dealership for sale many years ago, it was beautiful.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can air pockets form in the system after changing the water pump? I have the same temp gauge jump and restricted performance (upon startup) issues described in this post. They started right after I changed a weeping water pump.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

If you do not follow correct refill procedure air pockets can indeed form.

I see you have a 2004 XJ. Did you refill with heat on high?

I presume you know not to mix coolant types.

Last edited by jackra_1; 07-09-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the response. I did have the heater on full heat with fan at max, and didn't mix fluids. But that's not to say I didn't make an error otherwise. Where is the best place to see the proper procedures for refilling?

Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

I am only familiar with the SC model. However you did perform the main part with heat on high.

The only thing I can think of is a possible faulty coolant level sensor in the coolant reservoir.

When replacing the thermostat did you touch the coolant reservoir at all?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:33 AM

I did have to move the reservoir around a little while replacing the water pump. I will check the connections tonight. I suspected an air bubble or something because the temp gauge would show the normal warm-up to the mid-point and after a couple of minutes would shoot up to the maximum reading.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Some people have had to run the engine with the car sloping

upwards to remove all the air but jag instructions state that

the engine should not be run with the cap off.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhankey
A recent issue has started to develop with my 04 XJ8, for which I'm looking for possible causes. I've had the car since new, and it has had few issues to date. I'm at around ~65k miles.

Six times now while I have been driving along rural highways, I've had a "Restricted Performance" message pop up, the Yellow CEL comes on, and within the next 10-15 seconds, the temp gauge starts rising rather quickly towards max. In all situations, I've pulled off and shut off the car as the gauge approached the max, which is within about 30 seconds of the Restricted Performance message first appearing. I have waited about 5-10 seconds to restart the car, and on the first 4 occasions, the temp gauge shows at half way. On the last two occasions, the gauge immediately showed max with the Red light lit, so I shut down again and restarted right away and then the gauge showed half way. After all six occurrences, all seems normal, the temp gauge stays at the midway point, the restricted performance message is gone, but the CEL light remains lit. The first time this occurred, the CEL light went away after another couple days of short drives, and it was almost two months before the problem reappeared. The last 4 occurrences have been on successive trips, so it might be too soon for the light to reset on its own. I checked the coolant level, and it appears fine, and I have not had any coolant low messages.

The only other symptoms that might be related is that I notice when driving at highway speeds or on colder day recently, the temp gauge seems to come to settle at about the 5/16th point. Normally, once the car is warmed up, the computer managed gauge has always stuck at midway or just a smidge below halfway. Now it the gauge will only do so when idling at light, when driving around at slower speeds on warmer days, or for awhile after restarting the car after one of the 6 occurrences described above.

The battery is getting on in age, and certainly getting to a point where I should probably just replace it, but given these issues have generally occurred after driving the car for a bit, I'm not sure I see the connection to the battery in this case.

So, my questions are:
  1. Is it possible to get a "Restricted Performance" message if the engine management computer thinks the coolant isn't warm enough?
  2. Any clues what the root cause could be? Malfunctioning temp sensor; something wrong in the cooling system; Electrical issue?

The closest dealership is 60 miles away, so not overly handy to get to.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
I have exactly the same problem. Did you ever get to the cause?

Old 10-10-2023, 01:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default restricted performance issue

It's been so long since I had this. Thinking that I replaced the thermostat and that solved the problem one time. I do seem to recall it was a bit of a problem that I finally somehow solved. Did you check your codes to see if that gives any insight?

Search this Thread