XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

side marker lights don't light up!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default side marker lights don't light up!

greetings. ok. just making sure on a 2004 VDP, if we look at the car from the side, there are orange marker lights on the end of the trim just in front of the front wheel well, then there are orange lights on the "tip" of the door side molding just rear of the front wheel well ( these would be the signal indicators, right?), and then rear of the rear wheel well on the end of the rear bumper trim there is a red marker light. ok, so when i turn my lights on, the front most orange marker lights should come on, right? well they don't. checked the bulbs by swapping them out with the signal lights, and they work, so it's not the bulbs. where else do i look? also , what is the correct way to get to those bulps? i just pulled with my fingernails on the orange cover, and it came off....but that's because it came off it's base completely!, so i had to glue it back on. i would like to get this fixed since i'm due for inspection soon and don't want to have to be failed for inoperable lights and pay also (since it's pay, pass or fail!)
thanks in advance. wm

Old 04-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Hmmm, just noticed, mine don't either. The RED rear ones do, but not the front orange ones...

Old 04-21-2011, 07:35 PM

jeeez! jahummer, don't tell me that's ANOTHER dealer-only activation thing! that would be really silly! anyone else care to go out on the driveway and check? thanks if you do!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had both bulbs burnt out when I bought mine, simple cheap fix .

Old 04-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Try new bulbs, they are cheap. Check the connections on the back of the lamp socket. You will have to systematically work your way back down the wiring harness if the initial checks don't fix it.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Try new bulbs, they are cheap. Check the connections on the back of the lamp socket. You will have to systematically work your way back down the wiring harness if the initial checks don't fix it.
Yep, your marker lights (not the signal repeaters) should always be on with the lights or you'll fail inspection among other things. If the filaments are okay then check for current as hlg says.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:07 PM

thanks for the input, fellas! DB6 and hlgeorge, how do i remove the bulbe and socket? if you see in my original post, i kinda "broke" my driver side one when i thought you simply pry the lens out/rotate it out like the repeater lights. is there an access behind the wheel well? i'll go get the bulbs, but i need to know how to get to them?
thank you in advance, wm

Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Is there corrosion in the bulb socket, which there probably is. The assembly has to be replaced, because that is the only way that the white holder is sold, unless you can find it online seperate from the lamp. Number two the pigtail will have to be replaced. I know that motorcraft sales the pigtail, but I've had a hard time finding the correct pigtails. What I've done is buy the harness, then cut the connector off that I needed, and soldered a new connector on the existing harness.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsden
Yep, your marker lights (not the signal repeaters) should always be on with the lights or you'll fail inspection among other things. If the filaments are okay then check for current as hlg says.
Interesting the dealer never caught this either during routine service. Actually the rear red marker lights I had replaced under warranty a couple of years ago only because of a thread I saw in this forum about the sockets being corroded and a TSB referencing that. The tech never noticed and when I pointed it out to him, he had to look it up. Sheesh.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my Jag in for routine dealer service last month and the service tech noted my front marker lights were not working. Had them fix it and they found the wires were cut....apparently the previous owner didn't like them on!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by EBoyTropic
I took my Jag in for routine dealer service last month and the service tech noted my front marker lights were not working. Had them fix it and they found the wires were cut....apparently the previous owner didn't like them on!
Those lights are a Federal law and you can be ticketed for them being out!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks eboytropic! Guess that will be what o will tackle this weekend! Anybody know if the is a dedicated fuse for those or are they sharing one with another item? I figure the fuse is good as all the others lights are good and so it should be just the bulbs.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

F25 10A -- Passenger Fusebox = Front Markers
F18 10A -- Boot Fusebox = Rear Markers

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
jadedragon1800 (04-29-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 PM

xjrguy - checking the fuse box(cabin) diagram, F9 is for left hand indicator and repeater, F25 is for right hand indicator and repeater (with some others thrown in for good measure).
trunk fuse box has F18 for license and side marker lights (does not indicate front or rear). as my license lights work as wellas the rear sidemarkers work , i'm assuming that that the fuse is ok. but 2 fuses for the fronts? F25 was ok, i need to check F9, but i replaced the bulbs and still nothing. right hand connector was corroded somewhat, but i cleaned it and put dielectric grease on it. am i missing something here? thanks in advance, wm.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Default 2005 VDP Side marker light bulb access for replacement?

jadedragon1800,
Were you ever able to discover the proper procedure for the removal of the amber and red lenses to access these side marker bulbs and sockets? I am in need of replacement of my passenger side rear red... Did I read that the front (amber) markers, not the side turn signal assembly are to be illuminated as well as the rear (red) ones?
I really appreciate everyone's expertise and advice!

Best regards!
BNBishop

Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Hi
I am in the UK and over here we do not have side marker lights boring reflectors
this leads me to my next question can anybody advise where I can get a set
for a 2003 x350 this would be a(USA) 2004
I had these fitted to my XJ40 and they were a nice addition

Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

It is held in place by 2 flat metal clips on the top and plastic tabs on the bottom. Carefully Pry out the top portion first, with a small flat-tip screwdriver. Look for the metal clips while prying the top open, to ensure that they are being pulled out. Once the clips are out, it will practically fall off. I have photos of the procedure but I am currently in Afghanistan.
Apply Dielectric Grease to the base of the bulb and on all connections to keep water out and prevent corrosion.

Last edited by reyesl; 02-10-2012 at 01:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
philwarner (02-21-2016)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need more help on marker issue

Hmmm.... Front orange markers out. Red rear markers work. Orange markers will blink when I lock/unlock car. This tells me that bulbs are OK, and current is getting to markers. Not sure of next steps. Ideas?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the same problem and while going thru state inspection a couple of weeks ago I told them they were just reflectors and they passed the car. I would like togetto the root of the problem.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:54 AM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Mine do not light either. I could swear that the right stopped working when I had the front wing repaired...and that I knew that because the left did work...but later I looked and the left did not light. I had convinced myself that they never lit and my memory was going bad...maybe I have got a couple more years before I'm senile?!?

At least now I have a reasonable project to attack in the cold weather!

John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: side marker lights don't light up!