XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Suspension Oddity

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts
Default Suspension Oddity

This morning I needed to pull the X350 out of the garage so I could have more room to work on my XJS, but as I started to walk away from X350... I thought, 'wait a minute, that doesn't look right' and I turned around and looked at the car and the front end was way too low.

My first thought, was that one of the front shocks must be leaking even though they've both been somewhat recently replaced. Proceeded to work on the XJS, and put the X350 into the queue for the afternoon.

Later I started the X350, but the front didn't raise and I didn't hear the pump come on. Given how low the front was sitting, I thought there must be a "too low" warning in the message center, but nada.

So I hooked up the IDS/SDD system, but to my surprise there were no suspension fault codes.

I tried to use IDS/SDD to inflate the front, but it went through the routine and didn't raise the front. So I ran the Suspension Calibration and that fixed it.

Quite strange with no faults. It was almost like it had 'forgotten' the proper ride height and the system thought everything was fine with the front down on the stops.

The problem is solved, but thought reporting it might help someone down the line.

Cheers

Last edited by Mac Allan; 01-14-2017 at 08:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
paydase (01-15-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The inflate/deflate function doesn't work on the front axle on the cars with only three height sensors, or if the air suspension module on a 4-sensor car got a software update. Only the rear axle inflate/deflate routine works.

Sometimes the compressor won't run & the front lift up until you drive over the minimum speed.

As to why it dropped? Who knows, sometimes these things have a mind of their own.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo

Sometimes the compressor won't run & the front lift up until you drive over the minimum speed.

As to why it dropped? Who knows, sometimes these things have a mind of their own.
I should have mentioned that I also tried the minimum speed thing. Sorry about that.

Mind of their own indeed.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Funny things do happen on these cars. I lost the seat memory setting for the seat movement front/back. Technician at my indie that services the car told me it had 'lost' the setting and if I moved the seat fully back and then fully forward then moved it to the right position and re-entered the setting to memory it would be OK. So tried this and everything OK as said ! So how did it forget ? Maybe it was getting old like me and has a 'senior moment' !