XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Thinking about buying a Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 AM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a Vanden Plas

I reiterate- I am just thinking about it.
There is one I have my eye on. It is a 2005 with 82k miles.

I have tried to search the forum for what to look for when buying one but
I could not find anything.

I have had my XK-8 for 4 years now, so I am no stranger to working on Jags!

Any peculiarities wrt a VP?

Thanks

Old 02-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

There is a 'sticky' thread at the top of this forum with things you need to look out for. These cars can attain very high mileages but you'll have to do a few repairs on the way mostly fair wear and tear, but the suspension bushes wear out quickly, far quicker than you would expect. Front and rear lower wishbone trunnion bushes wear quickly, but also the bottom bushes on the air spring units, and the rear roll-bar links. Funnily enough the steel ball joints on the front suspension last for ages, unless the boots have split and not been noticed, and allowed grit and salty water into them.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
There is a 'sticky' thread at the top of this forum with things you need to look out for. These cars can attain very high mileages but you'll have to do a few repairs on the way mostly fair wear and tear, but the suspension bushes wear out quickly, far quicker than you would expect. Front and rear lower wishbone trunnion bushes wear quickly, but also the bottom bushes on the air spring units, and the rear roll-bar links. Funnily enough the steel ball joints on the front suspension last for ages, unless the boots have split and not been noticed, and allowed grit and salty water into them.
Thanks Fraser.
I just changed the shocks and various suspension bushings on my XK8 only two weeks ago, so that should not come as a surprise to me with another model of Jag. If I test drive & inspect this car I will try to have a look at what I can regarding the suspension. Might be able to get a price reduction if I can spot any problems.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Don't forget also the air shocks that may ruin your day during winter if they are worn.
That is a feature that your XK8 could not have...

Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by paydase
Don't forget also the air shocks that may ruin your day during winter if they are worn.
That is a feature that your XK8 could not have...
Roger that paydase, but we don't get that much snow or ice in Georgia. When we do, I stay at home!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

mcook - curious where you get your car serviced - I'm in Woodstock and have a 2005 XJR.