XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Water Leak - Under dash, passenger side.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leak - Under dash, passenger side.

As the title says, I have another leak (previous was sunroof leaking into the left rear foot area), this time is coming under the dash to the passenger's feet.

Curiously, this happens when you turn left, warm water drop to passenger's feet (brother-in-law spooked when it happened).

I tried looking with car running (not driving but standing still) and in both way, heat on or a/c on but couldn't see any leak anywhere.

I looked at the drain tubes under the windshield and there were some leaves, took them out, pored some water and it seems to be running through both sides fine.

Water didn't seem coolant though which is what I think it could be.

I'm really starting to think of selling this thing, too many POS issues: sunroof leak, rear shock replacement (nice, almost $2k), transmission flash etc. ($400), throttle body ($1000), sagging headliner etc. in a 40K miles car ain't exactly good build quality and reliability.

Enough of that rant, any ideas what this leak could be?

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I would guess clogged up AC evaporator lines.. you know how when you run the AC in your car and a puddle of water developes under the passenger side.. does yours still create a puddle? if not the water in the evaporator housing is leaking on your foot when you turn a corner.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:57 AM

That would make sense, I haven't checked that, will see if the puddle is there. Only thing is though that this water is warm, isn't evaporation water cold?

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Check your pollen filter.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by tommyd
Check your pollen filter.
What do you mean?

So that the water drainage there is not blocked?

Pollen filter is the one inside the engine compartment in passenger side, correct?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

If you take off the pollen filter cover you'll see a large drain hole at the bottom. This needs to be clear, or water will come in via the filter. I checked mine the other day and there was one leaf there but no blockage., thank goodness !

This syndrome was a common problem on my previous car, a Rover 75, and everybody was always exorted to "rod the drains every 3 months". I got to having about 1" of water in mine, so now I always check this out. Jag is very similar to the Rover with this plenum chamber in the engine compartment, except that the Jaguar drains are a larger diameter so should not block so easily..

Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 AM

Ok thanks, got it.

It's unfortunately not that though, I checked both side drains and the drain well.
I was hoping it would've been simple and easy like that but no luck...

Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Sun roof drains, (front) maybe ?

These sort of things (water leaks), can be a pain in the usual !

Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 AM

Yes, sunroof drains are starting to sound more and more plausible.
It hasn't rained and the car's dry.

Odd thing is though how do these things get blocked? We never have the sunroof open, don't live around dirt roads or under the trees etc.?

Where exactly are they and how do you unblock them?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Oh and yes, huge PITA!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by kthrash
I would guess clogged up AC evaporator lines.. you know how when you run the AC in your car and a puddle of water developes under the passenger side.. does yours still create a puddle? if not the water in the evaporator housing is leaking on your foot when you turn a corner.
I'm still pulling my hear with this stupid thing and saw water dripping from the hose on the right (passenger) side of the heater element.
At least I think it is the heater/evaporator element (it's a black "box" in the middle of the car you can see when looking from passenger footwell), the hose is metal with insulation over it and it's warm.
Does anyone know if that hose is the evaporator line or something else?

TIA.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 04-19-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like an a/c line to the evaporator inside the car. It should be insulated with a/c tape so that no metal shows. If you shut off the a/c do you still get water dripping if you don't then you will need to retape the line. George.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I had to look at your profile to see that you are talking about a 2004 XJ8. I do not see this leak as a roof leak unless it takes place when it rains.

Water leaking on the passenger’s feet is a problem that dates back as far as the beginning of the A/C units in cars. The symptoms are when you take a left turn it spills out of the tray on to the feet/floor. It is often caused be bugs or slug plugging the drain hole and the fact that the A/C is not in use in the winter. Most of the time the line can be cleared easily by blowing air from the drain into the car. If the problem reoccurs I would do it again. Use caution when blowing the line out, you do not want to blow the line up!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:18 AM

Thanks Gearge & Gus.

It's the line that's insulated with black foam and small part of it is exposed which to me though seems that that's the way it has always been.

I saw the water dripping and it seems to be dripping from the connecting part and is too much (IMO) to be just condensation coming from the exposed tube "sweating".

It however is not coolant (I haven't lost any coolant and this is just water) so that to me tells it should be condensation.

But the tube is going upwards, is that really the condensation line? It certainly is not coming from a tray, it's coming from the unit itself.

I will take a photo and post it.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:11 PM

Here's the tube where the water is dripping from. It's basically coming from that connector part. Quite a lot of it...

Anyone know what that is?

Attached Thumbnails Water Leak - Under dash, passenger side.-photo.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 07:35 AM

Anyone..?

I've determined that the leak is definitely related to a/c. Tried driving around without and no water was dripping.
My blower wasn't working few weeks ago and dealer fixed it by replacing a relay somewhere, this leak occurred after that, I wonder if there is a connection...?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have been looking but unable to identify the hose and the relationship to the leak. If I were to guess I would say the condensation is accumulating and leaking out of that what should be sealed area. I would first clean the A/C drain pipe on the outside of the car and see what takes place.

See attachment.

Attached Thumbnails Water Leak - Under dash, passenger side.-xj-ac.jpg  

Last edited by Gus; 04-25-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 AM

Thanks Gus.

I'm going to change the oil and filter so at the same time, I'll blow some air to the drain hose from below.
That really seems logical that it would be the drain but we'll see, if it's not that, it won't be the 1st non logical thing...

Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 AM

Little update... Did change the oil & filter (did it with my 16 yr old son, his 1st oil change, he basically did everything, I just instructed, and he liked it!) but forgot to blow the evaporator line, maybe mostly because it hasn't leaked...

I'm guessing (and hoping!!) it was the evaporator lines and that it might've opened itself. Still have plastic bag and towel in the foot area though. I'm superstitious enough that I'm thinking once I remove it, the leak will re-appear...

Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Nothing is ever that easy but I wish you luck. If it does leak you know what to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Leak - Under dash, passenger side.