XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Water Leak - Under dash, passenger side.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I was reading through the posts and I have got the exact same problem. I have a 2008 Jaguar X type, when I turn left, while the AC has been running for some time, a lot of water drips down and soaks the mat and the passenger side. During the winters there is nothing of this sort. Please help me fix this problem.

Thanks,

Old 05-28-2015, 08:47 AM

You can also see in the picture that there is a large droplet of water where the yellow cable is bending.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Have you checked the evaporator drain lines as was mentioned earlier in the post?

If not, start there. The evaporator has a drain line that leaves the cabin and ends under the car. This is virtually universal and applies to any car with A/C, but the lines don't always drop straight down on every car.

When you are driving with the A/C on and you shut off the car, you notice water spots under the car right? That's the condensation leaving the drain line and emptying on the ground. They get clogged from time to time. You probably don't see water right now though.

Some one mentioned shooting compressed air up there to clean the lines. I recommend using wire or better still, weed whacker line.

Jack up the car and USE JACK STANDS (SAFETY First and always). Look on the sides on the transmission tunnel. You should see clear plastic drain hoses, probably on the passenger side of the tunnel.

If you don't do your own car repairs, just take it to where you get your oil changed. This is a 10 minute job once it's up on the lift.

Best of luck

Old 05-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Good advice from Sean, but this forum is not for your car, it is for the XJ models made from 2003-2009. Your X-type is a completely different design so may I suggest you post in the X-type forum. This may be a common problem with X-types.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:00 AM
Default xf 2010 leaking from passenger side

Hi,
Could someone help to identify with the problem I found the passenger side soaking in water (after a week rain). Checking and found windows and sunroof all are closed properly. Looking up I spotted around the edge of top ceiling on the passenger side is also wet. Note that the passenger seat has no sign of wetness. Bottom line is the top (ceiling) and bottom (where passenger foot dash is) are wet but the middle (seat) is dry.
Will have to book for a check up but wanted to have some ideas what the problem is.
Appreciate your assistance.
L

Old 02-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Gus, with the A/C diagram you've added to this string of posts, is it depicting the drain tube on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel or on the driver's side of the tunnel?

Have an X350 with water dribbling down from the A/C unit under the dash. It flows down both the outer edges of the transmission tunnel and down the inside edge of the outer sill, on the floor pan. It collects in the rear passenger seat's footwell. I'm searching for this drain tube. Have removed the blower motor and sprayed a full 8 oz of evaporator core disenfectant foam trying to clean it all. Can't see the evaporator coils from the blower motor hole, but I'm hoping I've cleaned it. What I can't find it the drain.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am not familiar with your cars configuration so I am unable to help at the moment. Do you have JTIS that can guide you along? If not I can try to look it up for you.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:35 PM

No, I don't have the tech manual. Ran A/C and watched as water dripped out of the A/C box on passenger side. Removed passenger seat and carpets to dry out the interior. No visible evaporator drain on passenger or driver side. Looked behind engine heads on firewall with light and mirrors. Can distinguish the 2 heater lines and the 2 evaporator lines. There appears to be no evaporator hose or "duck bill" fitting (as on an '07 XK) through the firewall. Could not see nor feel anything. There are 2 white plastic posts that hold the wiring loom, but nothing else toward the center. Directly in front of the driver, on the firewall, there is a round hard black plastic nipple, about 2" in dia that extends out from firewall by approx 1/2 inch. It makes an immediate 90 degree upward turn. The opening, after it turns up 90 degrees is oblong. Opening approx 1 inch by about 1/16 inch. It's covered by firewall blanket insulation. Hard as heck to get too. Looked inside on driver's side and don't see anything. Put car up on stands and crawled underneath. Looked around transmission - no lines. Used flashlight and mirrors to inspect firewall and around top of heat shield - no drains visible. Need some guidance here. Thanks...

Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by rgreuling
No, I don't have the tech manual.
It won't help you. There is no mention of the drain in the manual and there's no picture of it in the electronic parts catalog.

Can distinguish the 2 heater lines and the 2 evaporator lines. There appears to be no evaporator hose or "duck bill" fitting (as on an '07 XK) through the firewall. Could not see nor feel anything.
I would expect the drains to be between the trans tunnel heat shield and trans tunnel itself. Drains are on both driver and passenger side.

Directly in front of the driver, on the firewall, there is a round hard black plastic nipple, about 2" in dia that extends out from firewall by approx 1/2 inch. It makes an immediate 90 degree upward turn. The opening, after it turns up 90 degrees is oblong. Opening approx 1 inch by about 1/16 inch. It's covered by firewall blanket insulation. Hard as heck to get too
Can you provide a pic? Not too close up so we can see the location as well as the tube?

Sorry, I no longer own the model or I'd put it on a hoist and snap some pics

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM

I read where another person with an '07 XK had this problem and added a drain to the evaporator box just behind the coil. He used a PT-216 straight plastic fitting, drilled a 1/2 inch hole, and coated the threads with RTV. Threaded the fitting into the box. Added a length of clear tube from the fitting to the passengers floor board, drilled another hole and dropped the tube through the hole. Cheap fix. Going to do this tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2023, 05:22 PM
Default Video of the leaking from the evaporator and drain house near passenger side

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Here's the tube where the water is dripping from. It's basically coming from that connector part. Quite a lot of it...

Anyone know what that is?
I'm having this issue right now with my 2009 XJ8 with 58k miles on it. It soaks my passenger floor. Tried some Kool-It Heater Core mildew cleaner but that's doing nothing. Did you ever find a fix for this? Mine is leaking at the tube (your pic) and wetness around the drain tube (my pic circled in yellow.) I'm concerned it needs a whole new evaporator housing which is $3k+ just for the part, but several parts of it on eBay for around $200.

Video of the leak: