XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Where have they hidden the window washer water bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Where have they hidden the window washer water bottle?

Hi folks,
My name is Mick and I am in Alsager which is halfway between Stoke and Crewe. For the last 8 years I have had a Mercedes C220 which recently was written off. Now in all honesty for many years I have been a Jaguar admirer so 3 weeks ago whilst searching for Merc E270 I came across a 2006 Jaguar XJ sovereign 2.7 lwb X350 in black and so after a journey involving 3 trains I ended up buying it. All was fine for the first 2 weeks and it is a beautiful ride but 2 days ago noticed 3 problems within hours, the first problem was virtually no water coming out of the window washers although the headlight washers are fine! I blew the pipes through from a joint by the filler cap and it seemed clear and blew the other side of the joint that goes through the body and I can hear the water bubbling. The next thing was was to check the pump motor in the water bottle eeerrr where on earth have they hidden it?? The filler neck goes into the body but after 2 hours tearing my hair out I still can't find it! So please can the person who is going to prove me a proper plonker please speak up I simply cannot find it HELP please!

Old 09-13-2015, 10:45 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

If the 350 is the same as the 308 then it's hidden behind the front bumper. You can access the pump via a little hatch in the R/H wheelarch liner.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Received 12,731 Likes on 6,376 Posts

Hi mikimogo,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

If your VIN is G49701 or higher, then here is the parts diagram. There is a pipe, Part 3, that connects the filler neck, Part 2, to the reservoir, Part 1:

It appears that the reservoir must be mounted either behind the front bumper as Jim suggests, or within the wing/fender. You should be able to follow the pipe from the filler neck to see where it leads.

By the way, there is a wealth of information available in the HOW TO quick links thread on the home page of this X350 forum, including the Workshop Manual in six sections, and the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC), which you can download for free from this forum and install on your computer (that's the source of the diagram above). Also, you can download the 2006 XJ Electrical Guide here:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (09-15-2015), EssOess (09-15-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 01:56 AM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Hi, if you search the forum for washer bottle there are some threads mentioning when the washer bottles filter gets gunged up, my own did a few years ago,
try these two links

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...washers-90511/

windscreen washer kaput

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

If it is the same as US Spec V8's, It up by the windscreen under a door flap. It does not have a logo on it. The 308's had the filler up front.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 PM

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the help and advice, what a thing to get at all my previous cars changing the whole bottle would take 5 mins but I've been on it 2 and a half hours still not finished, it didn't help that 2 of the torx screws wouldn't budge so I could only get the wheelarch liner half undone which really hampered me then I knocked off the headlight washer pumps outlet them i got soaked with the water out of the reservoir mHi folks,
My name is Mick and I am in Alsager which is halfway between Stoke and Crewe. For the last 8 years I have had a Mercedes C220 which recently was written off. Now in all honesty for many years I have been a Jaguar admirer so 3 weeks ago whilst searching for Merc E270 I came across a 2006 Jaguar XJ sovereign 2.7 lwb X350 in black and so after a journey involving 3 trains I ended up buying it. All was fine for the first 2 weeks and it is a beautiful ride but 2 days ago noticed 3 problems within hours, the first problem was virtually no water coming out of the window washers although the headlight washers are fine! I blew the pipes through from a joint by the filler cap and it seemed clear and blew the other side of the joint that goes through the body and I can hear the water bubbling. The next thing was was to check the pump motor in the water bottle eeerrr where on earth have they hidden it?? The filler neck goes into the body but after 2 hours tearing my hair out I still can't find it! So please can the person who is going to prove me a proper plonker please speak up I simply cannot find it HELP please!

Old 09-14-2015, 08:34 PM

Hi guys,
Firstly thanks for the welcome and the guidance, I found it between the inner wing and the engine compartment skin right at the back against the firewall so far been on it 3 hours hampered by the fact that 2 of the torx screws wouldn't budge so I could only get the wheelarch liner half undone which really hampered me then I knocked off the headlight washers outlet nozzle then I got soaked with the water out of the reservoir then I got more soaked as the heavens opened. It is a pig of a job to get out, in the other cars I've had this is a10 minute job, any way I struggled and eventually got it out then cleaned the filters and gave as good a rinsing out as I was getting it actually bucketed down for four hours so I'll finish it tomorrow if I can fix the headlight washers outlet nozzle if not I've ordered one off Ebay. I still find it hard to understand why Jaguar would hide it in a place where you have to take off a wheel and lining off to get at a part that always gets slimed up in most cars. I'll let you know how I get on because my next problem is the folding mirrors don't fold. Oh the joys of Motoring

Last edited by mikimogo; 09-14-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Pweediktafe twixt.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikimogo:
AD2014 (09-15-2015), Don B (09-14-2015)