XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Windshield Washer Fluid Sensor Fix!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Fluid Sensor Fix!!!

My dashboard kept saying washer level low therefore I could use my windshield's automatic washer feature. After filling fluid tank and same message on dashboard I figured the sensor was bad. Sure enough it was. If every in this bind here are the steps to fix... Well the way I figure out!!!

1. The sensor is located on the washer fluid resevoir all the way at the bottom. In order to reach the sensor you need to remove the passenger side lower grill section with a flat head screw driver. It is held by a tab on the top

2. You then need to remove the lower foglight which is held on by two star screws. Then you remove the foglight all together which was held on with a metal clip

3. After removing the foglight you can see the windshield washer fluid sensor poking out from the resevoir right in front of you. You simply pull on the sensor gently to release from the resevoir.

Hint... I didnt realize that the fluid would run out when I pulled the sensor so you may want to wait till your fluid is damn near empty. I just pulled the sensor out enough to let the wiper fluid drain slowely.

4. Pull the sensor through the foglight opening and remove the sensor from its connection buy pushing on the tab holding it in

5. Replace with new sensor and repeat step in backward order and your done.

6. Fill with new fluid

The following 2 users liked this post by Mistahchin:
clivedavies (12-28-2015), thomash85715 (11-09-2015)
Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sensor,

I have the same problem, the sensor is not working can you please give me the info on how to get the new sensor?

Thank you.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:16 PM

You would have to go to your local jaguar dealer and get one. I paid $45 for mine. Before opening and installing your new sensor take a look at the old one. I took the old sensor out i noticed that the black magnet that is suppose to be attached to the white float had fallen off for whatever reason and stuck to the sensor and that was causing the malfunction. When the level is low the magnet touches the sensor and thats when the sensor is triggered. Since it fell out of place it kept saying low fluid. Try reinserting into its hole location and seeing it that works before installing new sensor. If it doesnt then just install new sensor. Spend a extra 10 minutes and you might save 50 bucks. I opened my before all this so i had no choice in using the new one. I'll Try and upload pics

Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Default Pics would be really appreciated!

Originally Posted by mistahchin
you would have to go to your local jaguar dealer and get one. I paid $45 for mine. Before opening and installing your new sensor take a look at the old one. I took the old sensor out i noticed that the black magnet that is suppose to be attached to the white float had fallen off for whatever reason and stuck to the sensor and that was causing the malfunction. When the level is low the magnet touches the sensor and thats when the sensor is triggered. Since it fell out of place it kept saying low fluid. Try reinserting into its hole location and seeing it that works before installing new sensor. If it doesnt then just install new sensor. Spend a extra 10 minutes and you might save 50 bucks. I opened my before all this so i had no choice in using the new one. I'll try and upload pics
pics would be really appreciated!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM

This is what the sensor looks like. The white part is the float that sits inside the windshield washer resevoir. This is what it would look like when there is enough fluid in the resevoir... basically "floating". Notice the black metal object!!! Its like a round magnet the size of a watch battery

When fluid level is low it sits as such. The black metal object would touch the end of the resevoir triggering the sensor

When I removed the the sensor and took a look at it the black metal object was just sittinging on the end of the sensor. After comparing with the new one thats when i figured that was what the problem was. I couldnt tell you how it got loose but it was. I'm not sure if my old sensor would fit your car but I would send you it and you can try it.

I'm no technician. This is just a little common sense so if anyone sees anything wrong please feel free to correct or add...

Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mistahchin

This is what the sensor looks like. The white part is the float that sits inside the windshield washer resevoir. This is what it would look like when there is enough fluid in the resevoir... basically "floating". Notice the black metal object!!! Its like a round magnet the size of a watch battery

When fluid level is low it sits as such. The black metal object would touch the end of the resevoir triggering the sensor

When I removed the the sensor and took a look at it the black metal object was just sittinging on the end of the sensor. After comparing with the new one thats when i figured that was what the problem was. I couldnt tell you how it got loose but it was. I'm not sure if my old sensor would fit your car but I would send you it and you can try it.

I'm no technician. This is just a little common sense so if anyone sees anything wrong please feel free to correct or add...
Thank you very much, i think it is the same for my X-Type 2004.
2.5 lt.Can you see the part number on it? the one i need is c2s4061

I only have a really small pic of this part number and looks a lot like yours.
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mnil...2bFw0A/140.jpg

Im in san antonio, really you can be that nice and send it to me?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 AM

This is what you would see when you remove lower bumber insert. foglight is held in with the two screws

After you remove foglight you will see the sensor. Just remove and replace with new one.

I think they are the same.

The following users liked this post:
meirion1 (09-23-2012)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 AM

i dont know if im understanding, When you put:

I'm not sure if my old sensor would fit your car but I would send you it and you can try it.

Are you offering me to send me you old sensor? so i dont have to buy a new one?

if you are, i can put here my address. if you dont mean that its ok.

Thank you

Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 AM

Hi all. Thanks for putting this up. I have a Right Hand Drive (as I live in the UK) 2005 X-type is this still the same or do I need to go at it through the side splash guard?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Paul - dunno if you still need this info, but I went into mine by removing the undertray of the front bumper, not all of it, just all the bolts on the drivers side so I could move the tray out of the way, but I'm not sure if it's any better/easier than the method described here.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mistahchin

This is what you would see when you remove lower bumber insert. foglight is held in with the two screws

After you remove foglight you will see the sensor. Just remove and replace with new one.

I think they are the same.
hi just been out and looked at mine but it not where this one is s type 1999

Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM

can any one tell me where mine is
is not like this one in the pic
jaguar s type 1999 same thing warning on dash washer still work

Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yours is on the bottom of the tank. Much easier to get to and remove.

solidaxel (06-01-2015)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Greetings All,

Can one of you guys clarify for me - Is the sensor just a 'press fit' into the reservoir? (i.e. no threads, twist-lock arrangement, retaining clips, etc.?)

My reservoir is leaking down every couple of days or so. I haven't had a chance to do a thorough diagnosis yet, but I'm guessing it's likely to be a leak around the sensor. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Anybody???

Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, it's a push fit into a big rubber grommet, so you may need a new one, or perhaps use silicone sealant.

Kilowatt3 (02-07-2013)
Old 06-01-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ddyke2000
Yours is on the bottom of the tank. Much easier to get to and remove.
Is there a part number or a supply house besides Jag dealer to find one of these for a 200 S type?
IS there a DIY for this sensor replacement?

Thanks all

Old 11-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I followed the instructions at the top here and the thing came right out. The magnet fell into the bowl I caught the fluid in so I refitted it into the float. After testing it outside the tank and being assured the light was tripping correctly inside, I put it back together and so far so good. For whatever reason it had stopped "floating" correctly but now has enough buoyancy to do its job in the tank.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Question, is the magnet on the float completes the circuit and tell the fluid level is high enough, than would a open circuit tell it was full,
So can I just leave the sensor un plugged and a open circuit, or must it read a resistance value of the open sensor, or a full fluid level?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I remember when I took mine apart, it appears that a sufficient level of fluid keeps the magnet away from the switch and the light stays off. As the magnet floats down onto the switch as fluid level drops, the circuit completes and the light comes on. So if you disconnect the switch, there will never be a warning at any time with our without sufficient fluid. It is not a matter of resistance; the switch is all or nothing and is operated magnetically. The idea I think is to keep the switch dry in its own chamber while the magnet is harmlessly immersed in fluid.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Fluid Sensor Fix!!!