XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 4.0 Sovereign stalls in Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Maraud
If you have P1775, that only means the TCM sent a request to the ECM to turn on the Check Engine light and alert the driver.

1193 code is the downstream lambda heater circuit, or O2 sensor.

Could both be related with the replaced maf. Have you tried erase them and see if they come back? Others will maybe chim in.

Erased them and went for an hours drive and they did not come back 😊
Very pleased about that. I did notice however that once in a while , very rarily there is a misfire and the engine sort of shakes... coil issue?

Old 10-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Very good. ;-)

Does it misfire and shake when the engine is cold?

Old 10-01-2016, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maraud
Very good. ;-)

Does it misfire and shake when the engine is cold?
It happened just after I started the engine. And for the first time it took longer than usual to crank it. I think it continued for a while even with a warm engine. I started it again an hour later and then all seemed fine.. easy to start and no sign of any misfire. I am a bit confused

Old 10-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Great question. Ye, I'm not really sure what causes that. I have same problem sometimes, mostly when it is cold and rainy. After a couple of minutes when she is warmed up everything seems fine. Since I replaced the oil she is alot more quiet and smooth, I have no idea if it is related.

But my first thought would be something in that direction ye, spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors.

Someone else maybe can tell us more about that.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:33 AM

I am closing this thread. There is no doubt any longer. A new MAF totally cured the whole Idle issue. Thanks to everyone! Could an Admin change the headline of my first post and add "SOLVED" ?? It seems I am not able to do this on my own

Old 11-04-2016, 04:37 AM

God damnit.... I should have kept my mouth shut.
The car has had a perfect idle ever since I changed the MAF. Until today.. Yesterday I noticed that the idle was fluctuating a bit, and today while driving it dropped occasionally down to 300-400. it didn't choke though but im not happy.. might have to try to change either the stepper motor, or maybe its time to try the new O2 sensors I bought. Never installed them as I thought the problem was cured.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

I would not be surprised if your brand new ebay MAF is the problem. Check carefully before assuming it must be OK because it's new.

You don't have to dig very deep on most car forums to find reports of cheap MAFs being DOA or having a lifespan measured in weeks.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:22 AM

Interresting. . Should I order a secondhand Lukas unit? Is it even possible to find new original ones?

Originally Posted by b1mcp
I would not be surprised if your brand new ebay MAF is the problem. Check carefully before assuming it must be OK because it's new.

You don't have to dig very deep on most car forums to find reports of cheap MAFs being DOA or having a lifespan measured in weeks.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

You can get used MAF on UK eBay at modest cost. I got one for about 10 UKP and it works fine. I'd offer my spare but we both know if I did that then mine would fail

Old 11-07-2016, 01:25 AM

Haha.. yes so true 😂
Originally Posted by drmike
You can get used MAF on UK eBay at modest cost. I got one for about 10 UKP and it works fine. I'd offer my spare but we both know if I did that then mine would fail

Old 11-23-2016, 03:25 AM

So, the car has not been used for about 2 weeks, so I thought I should fire it up in the garage. And the battery was dead! A brand new battery as well.. I have installed a new radio, so maybe that drained it somewhat more. I took out the battery and charged it, and it took about 48 hours to get it charged fully. As I turned the key it started at once, but it was running like crap. Stuttering and shaking and constantly dying in idle. Sounded more like a Harley Davidson than a jaguar for a while there. I have ordered a used MAF from ebay uk, and now I am guessing ireally HAVE to change those O2 sensors as well :/

Old 11-23-2016, 03:29 AM
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought it would run OK without any O2 sensors. Not a good idea but I thought for testing you could disconnect them. I changed an O2 sensor and it had no effect whatsoever apart from costing me money.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:50 PM

Something new learned everyday with this car.. I installed the used ebay maf today. And of course I forgot about not having connected the battery in the back so I shut the boot.. and it would not open again with the key. Had to search this fantastic forum for help and found a tip about connecting a battery to the 13mm nut in the fuse box in the engine bay. Very thankful for that great advice. It worked 😊 So I finally started the car and took it for a spin. It drove poorly to start with but I guess it took some time to burn off the spark plugs. At idle it dropped down to 300 and almost died but as I drove on it kept getting better. Hadn't time for more than a 30 min drive but it felt a lot better when I parked it. Idle was also very good. Close to perfect. Think I will try to change those O2 sensors anyway and I think I will once again remove the iridium plugs and keep the standard ngk ones.. I would be so completely lost without this forum. And shame on that #!#% ebay company for selling new MAFs that last a few weeks only..

Old 01-07-2017, 11:28 AM

I changed both sensors and installed the NGK standard plugs. On the first test drive it idled perfectly. I really hope this is permanent. I also added a bottle of BG44K before I changed the sensors, and I think it improved the idle somewhat. It felt smoother and it didn't drop down to the low rpm's it used too.. I guess I will update this post if the problem returns.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

One you disconnect the battery the ECU has to relearn where the idle setting is on the stepper motor to control the amount of air entering the engine at idle. That can take a bit of time for it to relearn where the stepper needs to be to give the proper idle speed.

If you have occasional shaking and near stalling I would also look at your ignition coils. Take a look at the plastic bodies once removed from the engine and examine them for any cracks. That can allow shorting to ground and no spark, that will give the symptoms you described. Unfortunately new coils of the proper type (made in Japan) are hard to get now, there is a huge thread here about coils and how the replacement made in China ones fail quite quickly.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:59 PM

I'm happy to say that the idle is very smooth now after I changed the O2 sensors and added a can of bg44k. I also cleaned that used maf I purchased so maybe it was a combination. I do however notice a drop in the idle once in a while. Barely noticeable though. . Coil issue?
https://youtu.be/-YLnNvrO4XI

Old 02-12-2021, 03:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I’ve had identical symptoms and had it scanned today and it is showing a dead o2 sensor ,it’s been removed and cleaned and still barely working but got it’s mot pass on borderline emissions ,

if you unplug the maf with the engine running and the engine tries to stall or stalls the maf is fine !

if you’ve had a code for o2 sensors then just change the o2 sensors !

you probably wasted more money on extra spark plugs and injector cleaner then it would have cost to have a friendly garage just change the damn sensors lol